My success as a brand and marketing executive for the last eleven years at major retail and creative companies is based on two things: a powerful skillset developed through extended tenures at top brands, and my exceptional commitment to people and teamwork. I have a strong track record of building robust teams, setting successful strategy, creating effective
My success as a brand and marketing executive for the last eleven years at major retail and creative companies is based on two things: a powerful skillset developed through extended tenures at top brands, and my exceptional commitment to people and teamwork. I have a strong track record of building robust teams, setting successful strategy, creating effective tactical plans, managing their implementation, and achieving positive results.
Specialties: Branding and Marketing--Strategy and Execution
Digital and Social Marketing
Fashion and Retail Industry
Vice President of Brand and Community @ Lucky enough to be responsible for growing the love of yoga and the role of Lululemon in the yoga community--inspiring leadership in the world, one person and pose at a time.
I am responsible for setting the strategic direction for our community team and our community efforts that get created and executed by our entrepreneurial stores. I design how community and brand integrate to create the consumer vision of Lululemon. We innovate, create and ideate amazingly cool stuff. Beyond that, we build relationships with some of the most amazing people and yogis in the world. My team owns the relationship development programs that the stores execute, and any national creative partnerships. From June 2012 to Present (3 years 7 months) Vancouver, Canada AreaExecutive Brand and Business Advisor @ Working with small team to develop business strategy, brand positioning, and operational model for consumer-facing online start-up, focused on helping professional women and households simplify their lives. Driving to initial pitch to angel investors and secondary funding from venture investors. From October 2011 to March 2012 (6 months) Executive Brand and Business Advisor @ Pro Bono work for non-profit, working to create brand architecture and marketing/communications strategy for the education-focused non-profit. Strategy designed to drive consumer awareness, differentiated positioning, and alignment of local sites against a common vision. From May 2011 to January 2012 (9 months) San Francisco Bay AreaExecutive Brand and Business Advisor @ Support Gap Brand President and marketing team. Provide strategic perspective, creative direction and organizational support, with particular focus on digital marketing and driving traffic. From September 2010 to May 2011 (9 months) San Francisco Bay AreaVP Brand and Marketing Strategy @ Leadership executive, with expanding roles through my 6 year tenure. Hired as VP of Business Strategy for Old Navy, in 2005. Added consumer insights and pricing, in 2006. Expanded in 2007 to complete brand strategy by taking on Marketing Strategy, and a team of 20+. In 2008, was made co-lead of entire Marketing department and expanded team to 30+. In 2009, took on interim leadership of the Marketing department, covering all responsibilities in Marketing/Communications and a team of 70+.
See detailed roles below. From August 2005 to May 2011 (5 years 10 months) Vice President, Interim Head of Marketing @ Ran marketing department, upon departure of co-lead VP. Oversaw Creative, Strategy, Program Management, Production, Media/PR, Consumer Insights, CRM and all agency relationships
• Leadership and management of 9 direct reports and 80 person team
• End to end ownership of brand position and communications
o Built marketing strategy across all media vehicles, including television, digital, social, and print, and newspaper.
o Executed marketing strategy across all media vehicles, including media buying and creative development
• Agency relationship management
• Established brand feel and brand standards
• Reversed 5 consecutive years of traffic decline
• Drove all-time high marketing effectiveness
• Drove positive sales, increased market share, and material increase in Gap Inc. stock value
• Stabilized team and delivered engagement scores on par with or above all HQ Leadership Team. From October 2009 to August 2010 (11 months) San Francisco Bay AreaVice President, Business and Brand Strategy @ Hired in 2005 as VP of Business Strategy. In 2006, added Consumer Insights and Pricing. In 2007, added Marketing Strategy, and by 2008 co-led marketing department. Responsible for brand strategy, marketing strategy and creative development.
• Defining the target customer for the brand and integrating the customer into organization
• Developing an ownable brand position founded in an strong understanding of the brand strengths and the competitive landscape
• Developing creative platform to bring that strategy to the consumer in advertising
• Building annual marketing/communications plan to execute the strategy and managing $250M marketing budget
• 2008 forward, managed 30+ person team, including Business Strategy, Marketing Strategy, Consumer Insights, Media Strategy, and CRM.
• Employee Opinion Survey results on “Belief in company and strategy” improved 20 pts
• Board of Directors (and Chairman of the Board) endorsement of the brand and its viability
• execution of the strategy
• Organization-wide understanding and view of target customer and brand positioning
• Launch of new television campaign result in 5x increase in marketing effectiveness year over year and sustained results 2x the company’s 5 year average
• Brand reversed 16 quarters of negative business performance, upon the launch of the campaign and full
• Created a small but mighty consumer insights function which sized consumer segments, implemented qualitative and quantitative research, and drove pivotal views of the business
• Driving data and analytics to strategic insight
• Communication skills including simplification of complex strategies and strong presentation skills
• Partnership with strong creative forces to build strategically-sound and creatively compelling concepts
• People management and strong team building
• Comfort with senior management, including ongoing dialogue with CEO and presentation to Board of Directors From August 2005 to September 2009 (4 years 2 months) San Francisco Bay AreaSVP Planning and Administration @ Managed business side of the largest record label, reporting directly to the Chairman
• Oversaw day to day decisions on albums and artists
• Managed all decisions on marketing investments and recording investments to optimize revenue opportunities and manage $100M marketing budget
• Shaped a vision of incremental revenue streams, including negotiating deals, developing business plans, and managing the ongoing strategic relationships.
• Grew market share
• Delivered against planned financials 4 consecutive years
• Developed industry-leading innovation including: Eminem Sirius Satellite channel; ipod marketing strategy; 50 Cent video franchise; successful advertising joint venture, Translation
• Music industry expertise
• Ability to deliver and drive business results in a creative environment
• Innovation and business plan development
• Negotiation and deal structuring From January 2001 to August 2005 (4 years 8 months) Director Business Strategy @ Member of business strategy team, assessing business needs, recommending solutions, and driving change.
• Manage and develop team of analysts
• Assess business competitive position and capabilities
• Recommend solutions to grow business and strengthen competitive position From September 2000 to December 2000 (4 months) San Francisco Bay AreaConsultant @ Strategy consultant to Fortune 500 clients, with specialization in post-merger integration and growth strategy.
• Advising clients on growth opportunities and operational plans to achieve growth opportunities
• Leveraging both analytic insight and client expertise to develop actionable strategies
• Managing organizations through mergers, with clear communication strategies, best practices, and focus on top priorities for realizing business value
• Large industrial equipment manufacturer acquired and expanded rental business
• Merger of Polygram and Universal Music over-delivered on expected results and yielded top market share music group
• Personal promotion to partner-track without MBA
• Data and analytic expertise
• Business acumen
• Client management
• Project management From August 1995 to July 2000 (5 years)
MSFS, International Business @ Georgetown University From 1993 to 1995 BA, International Relations @ University of Toronto - University of Trinity College From 1990 to 1993 Rachel Acheson is skilled in: Digital Marketing, Brand Architecture, Marketing Communications, Brand Development, Social Media, Online Marketing, Business Strategy, Marketing Strategy, Creative Development, Social Media Marketing, Retail, Creative Direction
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension