Sr. Systems (Cyber Security) Engineer @ L-3 Technology
Hardware Design Certificate, Electrical and Electronics Engineering @
University of California, Santa Cruz
Innovative results driven technical problem solving professional with over twenty years’ experience designing circuit boards related to telecommunications, defense and consumer electronic markets, both in the US and Japan. Strategic engineering and business leader in systems, software, program management, silicon and wireless product development. Take projects from concept to RTL verification to board creation; technical leader with
Innovative results driven technical problem solving professional with over twenty years’ experience designing circuit boards related to telecommunications, defense and consumer electronic markets, both in the US and Japan. Strategic engineering and business leader in systems, software, program management, silicon and wireless product development. Take projects from concept to RTL verification to board creation; technical leader with focus on providing customer training, developing documentation (white papers & application notes), systems development, and promoting customer satisfaction. Delivering successful engineering related processes, organization structures, and corporate cultures that have the agility to transition through significant expansion, development acceleration, and revenue growth. Delivers superb revenue-generating product and new business development while maintaining a win-win atmosphere with internal and external partners.
* Developed Software QA test plan and software development automated test system. Utilizing PHP, Ruby on Rails, and the Linux LTP as a base set of tests. Reducing ASIC chip failures in OMAP phone systems saving Texas Instruments $10 Million dollars over two years.
• Multi-disciplined project development methodologies
• System, software, hardware, and SoC engineering management
• Wireless Handset/Tablet development and certification
• Wireless: LTE, 3GPP/CDMA wireless carrier and industry certifications
• Video: DLNA, UPnP, DRM, H.264
• Connectivity: USB, 802.11 abgn/ac
• Strategic marketing and business acumen
• Customer / executive communications
• Global business initiatives
• Developed Industry Standards (DLNA, UPnP, USB) and IEEE Standards (IEEE 1874, P2410)
• Published over 12 technical articles in the premier IEEE Consumer Electronics Magazine
• Accomplished Keynote speaker at CES, IFA, CEATEC, Storage Visions, and ICCVE (Connected Vehicle)
VP of Engineering @ Lead a team of Engineering, Translators, Corporate Analysts in providing a three prong approach to product development and deployment.
• Using a distributed team approach, able to manage, architect, design, a bring products to market through CM/ODM in China, Japan, and Taiwan market spaces
• Competitive Analysis
Leads a diverse team of corporate analysts with over 30 experience, retrieving, analyzing data and compiling reports on competition through legitimate activities protecting client while expediting corporate advantage.
• Able to provide on-site Security assessments, as well as remote Denial of services testing, and corporate information security
• Schematic, Layout, Fabrication, Assembly
• DLNA/USB/Wi-Fi/CCX/CMMI Compliance
* Passive and Active RFID & RF Energy Harvesting
• EMI/EMC/ESD (Regulatory Testing)
• Failure Analysis
• Software Development (PHP, C, Cobol, Pascal, Fortran, VxWorks, Linux, Android)
• Quality Assurance Testing
• GPS/Wireless/Smart Grid/Smart Home/NFC/Energy Harvesting/RFID/Cellular
• Product Teardowns
• Standard's Representation and development (IEEE SA voting ballot member) From June 2006 to Present (9 years 5 months) Sr. Systems Engineer, Active Secret Clearance @ Designed GPS/INS distribution system for King Air 350 Airplane for U.S. Army ISR operations, Project Constant Hawk.
Developed D-TCDL utilizing Compact Lense Antenna Ku-band directional antennas and Omni Ku band Antennas for ground based military to BLOS/LOS communication.
Developed ASIL (Army Systems Integration Laboratory) Test Plan.
Work with government and industry engineers developing hybrid network solutions for DoD and other federal agencies for their LAN/WAN connectivity.
Troubleshoot and resolve complex problems to ensure minimal disruption of mission-critical applications.
Configure VoIP/VTC system design, integration, and fault tolerant multicast video distribution techniques.
Maintains technical proficiency in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing; such as routers; multiplexers; firewalls; hubs; bridges; gateways; etc.
Sustain commercial telecommunications interconnection technologies such as T1, DS3, Frame Relay systems. From March 2015 to Present (8 months) Greenville, TexasWireless Solution Architect @ Assist customers with Hardware design, Schematic review, Layout Review, System Architecture, Driver evaluation and development for GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth.
• Developed medical application reference design
• Redesigned NEST Thermostat Controller
• Re-designed Honeywell Thermostat Controller
• Re-design Eccobee Thermostat Controller
• Resolved SDIO port problem with Trane A/C Controller
• Wrote software application notes on Wi-Fi/Blue Tooth driver use and porting
• Wrote hardware application notes on electrical implementation of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS modules.
• Troubleshot software driver issues
• Wrote application notes on GPS implementation and specialized use cases.
• Reviewed customer schematics and provided recommended changes for successful implementation.
• Reviewed layout and fabrication design documentation, provided recommendation for customer improvement.
• Provided on-site customer debugging and design consulting services
• Assisted customers with FCC/CE mark compliance testing with compliance labs.
• Worked with Sales managers to close design wins by providing clear concise technical support for customers and following up to resolve design concerns before they manifest.
• Spoke at conferences at CES, CEATEC, IFA and other trade shows on Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, RFID and Artificial Intelligence in the Home.
• Have written over twelve Trade publication articles for the Consumer Electronics Magazine and continue to regularly contribute From June 2008 to March 2015 (6 years 10 months) San Jose, CaSenior Editor @ From 2002 to 2015 (13 years) Director of Engineering @ • Led a team in developing the first of its kind Automated SD Card Duplication system for San Disk.
• Lead the product development and architecture definition for Pragmatics products
• Ensured product met the marketing features, cost and quality requirements
• Ensured ODM electrical engineering resources deliver to product specification and program schedules
• Ensure constant and clear communication with ODM partners, suppliers, and internal development teams
• Manage and coordinate electrical system development priorities and issues with ODM and cross-functional teams
• Ensured the product design meets DFX requirements
• Ensured product’s electrical systems meet Regulatory and Environmental specifications
• Prepared early design, layouts, and drove product architecture
• Researched new components, vendors and technologies to meet product goals
• Ensure that detailed design documentation from both ODM and internal sources is complete and imported into corporate systems
• Ensured that thorough HW qualification test plans are created
• Manage ODM and internal resources to ensure that products are tested to HW qualification test plans
• Reviewed results of HW qualification testing and took corrective action as necessary
• Worked with National Instruments and our software contractors to develop a GPIB Host Controller Driver for TSE robotic Handler for automated test systems.
• Quality assurance test plans for testing of Image download systems, trained QA Personnel in testing of Image Download system.
• Created Hardware Test Plan and trained Junior engineers in the proper test methodology and test results reporting.
• Worked with Intel & Micron Production Test Engineers to evaluate Production test results in correlation testing and improvement of the Robotic Test Handler and Final Probe Test Sequences. From June 2006 to June 2008 (2 years 1 month) San Jose, CaliforniaSr. Manager Hardware Systems (OMAP) @ • Developed Hardware and software solutions for evaluating Customer product returns and worked with customers remotely and on-site to resolve production stop issues with their cellular products.
• Re-utilized existing software development platform (ARM 11 & DSP6000), and modified Linux OS based test suite for Silicon level testing.
• Deployed across multiple country sites to reduce test time and improve customer relationships.
• Active technical manager in resolving Cellular Phone design issues with customers and TI production.
• Resolved production line stop issues with Motorola & SKTT cell production lines.
• Trained junior engineers in Failure Analysis theory and Root Cause analysis of RMR units.
• Setup Power Analysis test system for advance power analysis debug.
• Wrote “Deep Sleep” OMAP application note to resolve Docomo FOMA design issues.
• Created USB test verification system to evaluate increasing number of USB returns from World Wide Customer Base.
• Developed QA test plans encompassing software and hardware cross analysis to enable 99% test coverage. Resolved WiFi 802.11abgn, BT, UWB, WiMax (WiBro) issues with Cellular Phone designs, most issues were related to Power Supply issues corrupting the Radio Packet transmission and the interference of the MIMO antenna structure used in the phones PCB.
• Developed Software QA test plan and software development automated test system. Utilizing PHP, Ruby on Rails, and the Linux LTP as a base set of tests.
• Trained junior engineers in Failure Analysis theory and Root Cause analysis of returned units.
• Setup Power Analysis test system for advance power analysis debug.
• Created USB test verification system to evaluate increasing number of USB returns from World Wide Customer Base utilizing LeCroy's CATC analyzer, National Instruments, and Keithley products with GPIB and Lab view to increase repetitive tasks in a consistent Lab setup. From December 2004 to June 2006 (1 year 7 months) Dallas/Fort Worth AreaDirector of Engineering, New Business Development (Advance Research) @ Evaluated new technologies and IP to expand Texas Instruments IP portfolio, participated in Industry Liaison groups to ensure that new guidelines and specification reflected the company’s technology strategy. Developed a Software Development platform based on ARM926 with C6xxx DSP for Set Top Box and Digital Media Adapter, consumer electronic markets. This platform was used to introduce and validate TI’s entry into DLNA and UPnP.
• Led IP acquisition team for FIOS & HomePNA ventures within TI
• Led Software / Hardware Design reviews to ensure project leads could learn from my example in developing team management skills.
• Presented at DLNA general meetings updates and status reports
• Performed validation of test content and reviewed potential test tools for DLNA 1.0 test content verification.
• Designed and built 802.11bg Wifi Setup box and performed Radio Power measurement testing with Anritsu tester (MT8860B).
• Developed Hardware and software test spec and worked with QA like team in testing and implementing test programs.
• Elected DLNA Compliance Test Chair: led a diverse group of companies to develop a Compliance Test program to ensure conformance to the DLNA guidelines.
• Wrote Compliance Test Specification; tested and verified Media content for successful DLNA Compliance Test Program. www.dlna.org
• Developed UPnP AV specification with TI IP considerations in mind for inclusion in the DLNA Guidelines From 2003 to 2005 (2 years) Dallas/Fort Worth AreaSenior Hardware Systems Engineer (USB) @ • Key interface with internal departments to coordinate the use of TI silicon in projects throughout TI and directed sub-contractors/consultants in the development of silicon blocks. Created FPGA (APEX II 600C)
• Analyzed EMI data of Microsoft’s XBOX sub-systems, resolving a FCC certification issue allowing Microsoft to launch the X-Box gaming system.
• Created XBOX wireless (Blue Tooth) game pad controller and base station.
• Designed USB to UART/RS-232 PDA dongle board for customer reference design.
• Designed the 1st HS USB bus powered HD by using a unique powering sequence and firmware.
• Designed USB 2.0 HS/FS to ATA/ATAPI/Compact Flash board and received the USB logo.
• Wrote 8051/8052 microcontroller and EMI/ESD design guide for high-speed designs.
• Represented TI within the USB test compliance committee and in the Mass Storage Working group.
• Serve as a technical leader in the field of USB compliance, evaluating new IP designs and validating robustness of the IP for future TI products.
• Created 1st Texas Instruments USB Compliance laboratory and assisted more than 6 departments in creation of USB compliance laboratories (The USB compliance Laboratory included USB Compliance Test plans and Automated Test setup utilizing NI GPIB LabView and a HS Scope and a Special Lab setup)
• Analyzed EMI data of Microsoft’s XBOX sub-systems, resolving a FCC certification issue allowing Microsoft to launch the X-Box gaming system. This involved taking the product to the Anechoic Chamber for FCC Chapter 15 and CE Mark testing.
• For every product I designed I created a Hardware and software test plan that would exercise the various aspects of the product to be tested.
• The design guides, I created helped customer resolve issues before they became a problem, thus saving me from having to work on it. From 2000 to 2003 (3 years) Dallas/Fort Worth AreaSr. Hardware Engineer, Laser Printer Division @ Lead team of 30 Software engineers and 1 junior Electrical Engineer in the design and creation of Laser Printer Controllers for Multi-Function Printers. Designed Minolta's first USB ASIC.
Active technical leader of a team of 30 software, quality assurance engineers and technicians in product design and production; designed printer controllers utilizing an FPGA to create an ASIC with USB 1.1, ATA (IDE), PCI, and SDRAM controller, 1394 (Fire Wire), 10/100 Ethernet, SH2 (7044), PowerPC (405GP), SDRAM, and VxWorks as the RTOS.
• Led design from concept to board creation, debug, EMI/ESD compliance and to production.
• Interfaced with parts suppliers/vendors to negotiate prototype ordering and production availability. From 1998 to 2000 (2 years) San Jose, CaliforniaHardware Engineer @ Principle engineer leading a team of six electrical and five software engineers in developing telecommunication products and printer controllers for the Japanese consumer sector; managed sales/marketing product requirements and designed products utilizing 68K, MPC860 processors for telecommunications and the printer market in support of Toyota, Motorola, NTT Docomo, Cannon, and Fujitsu. Personally designed the following:
• Designed ISDN, ATM, Ethernet Router/Switch for SOHO applications (used MPC860SAR)
• Designed Cannon printer 100Base-T interface board, utilizing FPGA and MPC860 CPU.
• Designed Fujitsu printer interface board, converting 16-bit video into dual 32 bits.
• Designed one and two port RS-232 to 10 Base-T routers, two port parallel to 100 Base-T Print Server.
• In this role, I developed the entire design and performed the entire QA process. The only thing I did not do was write the higher level User Interface Software.
• Developed and tested earlier Blue Tooth implementation 2.4Ghz for SoHo market place. From 1996 to 1998 (2 years) Tokyo, JapanElectronics Technician (Military Service) Honorable Discharge @ • Redesigned and corrected design deficiencies in RF (3~300 MHz) radar transceivers, HF, VHF and microwave (300 MHz~ 9 GHz) communication systems.
• Redesigned power distribution system of Nimitz Class Aircraft Carries, to resolve Reverse current spikes damaging Carrier Aircraft Control Radar systems.
• Worked on VHF, UHF, and SatCom based communication systems.
• Worked on AN/SLQ-25 NIXIE Torpedo Countermeasures Transmitting Set, which would transmit RF radiation to simulate an Active ship to confuse Torpedo's and other Signal detection systems.
• Worked on the AN/SPS-48 Air Search RADAR (3-D)
• Worked on the AN/SPN-43C which is a coherent on receive radar system with a pulsed magnetron transmitter.
• Worked on the AN/SPN-41A which is using a Pulsed Ku Band RADAR signal to the approaching Aircraft.
• Worked on AN/SPN-44 Range Rate RADAR, like a Police Speed Gun used to determine the true and relative speed of an approaching aircraft. It uses a true Analog Computer.
• Worked on the AN/SPS-64 Surface Search RADAR
• Worked on AN/WSC-3/5/6 for UHF and SatCom
• Worked on GRC-211 Radio Transceiver Set for VHF Band Communications
• Worked on GRC-171 Radio group for UHF Band Communications
• Worked on AN/SLQ-32 Electronic Warfare System
• I performed VSWR and power measurements on these Systems, which utilized Magnetrons, Klystrons and Traveling Wave Tubes (TWT). I redesigned most of them an submitted Design modification requests to cincpacflt
• Performed environmental and field-effect radiation pattern studies on antenna radiated emissions related to military band communications systems.
• Received ESWS certification (Trained on Nimitz Class Nuclear Reactor Operations & Power Distribution systems.)
• Cleared for Secret Clearance (SBI). From 1987 to 1996 (9 years) Various
VLSI Design Certificate, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 4.0 @ University of California, Berkley, CA Extension Program From 1998 to 2000 Hardware Design Certificate, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 3.5 @ University of California, Santa Cruz From 1998 to 2000 Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science, 3.33 @ University of Maryland College Park From 1993 to 1996 B.S., Sociology (Electrical Engineering), 3.33 @ State University of New York at Albany From 1987 to 1995 Engineer's Degree, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 4.0 @ Naval Engineering School From 1987 to 1989 Will Lumpkins is skilled in: Standards Development, Embedded Systems, Wireless, Consumer Electronics, Semiconductors, System Architecture, RF, Embedded Software, Digital Signal..., Product Management, Device Drivers, WiFi, Engineering Management, Systems Engineering, Analog, Software Development, Product Development, IPTV, Software Engineering, IC, ARM, ASIC, Agile Project Management, Automation, Bluetooth, Cross-functional Team..., Debugging, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Hardware, Hardware Architecture, PCB design, Mobile Devices, FPGA, Firmware, Testing, USB, Microcontrollers, Processors, SoC, Ethernet, Sensors, System Design, Linux, Mixed Signal, Labview, Analog Circuit Design, Signal Processing, Product Marketing, Program Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension