A respected strategic marketer, bringing a wealth of experience. The quintessential unconventional marketer who has an extensive background working in digital media with an enviable list of blue-chip brands. Less attracted to the gloss of marketing glamour and awards, and more to the science of changing behaviour that leads to client growth. Having worked closely with leaders
A respected strategic marketer, bringing a wealth of experience. The quintessential unconventional marketer who has an extensive background working in digital media with an enviable list of blue-chip brands. Less attracted to the gloss of marketing glamour and awards, and more to the science of changing behaviour that leads to client growth. Having worked closely with leaders in government, as well as with both local and international private sector businesses, bringing insight and inspiration to recover competitiveness. An innovator with an entrepreneurial spirit, believing that all things are possible using technology as an enabler. A senior commercially aware performance marketer with over two decades experience, delivering trans-media solutions, working in a world that is changing faster than ever before. Jan's professional passion is to plug into the international economy, building new relationships and gaining new understanding, applied for the benefit of her clients. Follow Jan on Facebook and Twitter @janinehutton
- Formulating integrated strategy
- Social business / community engagement
- Brand strategy and architecture
- Content Marketing
- Reputation management
- Building and leading winning teams
- How to win in Africa
Head of Deloitte Consulting Brand & Marketing: Africa @ In order for Deloitte Consulting to achieve their 2020 growth ambitions Jan has been appointed to spearhead all brand and marketing initiatives across Africa.
Jan has a dual role of internal strategy development, as well as external client-facing consulting. In this role Jan has the responsibility to work with the current marketing team to develop and implement the Consulting Brand & Marketing strategy and to renew and drive the Consulting Marketing plan for the continent. Jan is also accelerating the reality of intelligent marketing for Deloitte Consulting clients, capitalising on her experience in understanding the changing face of media and content consumption.
She also owns and manages the digitisation (Digital Inside) imperative for Deloitte Consulting to further drive Deloitte Digital’s market penetration in Africa. Follow Jan on Twitter @janinehutton From October 2014 to Present (1 year 1 month) Johannesburg Area, South AfricaChief Marketing Officer @ Destination marketing is a highly competitive industry. If we don't do work that's bold and collaborative we're wasting our time.
Jan Hutton worked for South African Tourism, as their Chief Marketing Officer. As such, Jan's primary responsibility is to deliver on the Tourism Growth Strategy which is aimed at ensuring that South Africa is the preferred destination for leisure and business travel. This entails driving and managing marketing for South African Tourism, overseeing the organisation’s global campaigns to competitively raise awareness of South Africa as a world-class destination. She's responsible for consumer and trade marketing globally, across SA Tourism developed markets and emerging markets. SA Tourism is recognised by the UNWTO as the digital media benchmark of marketing globally. Jan is also a member of the SA Tourism executive committee.
- Developing SA Tourism global integrated marketing strategy
- Responsibility for SA Tourism core market offices
- Global media plans
- Compiling executive reports
- Financial management and budget reporting
- Performance Management of SA Tourism Marketing staff
- Measures to increase foreign visitor arrivals coming to South Africa
- Measures to increase tourism trended revenue as contribution to the local economy From January 2013 to October 2014 (1 year 10 months) Johannesburg Area, South AfricaPartner, Africa @ For a period of 5 months Jan decided to consult on an international basis. She opened the South African office of a consulting company called Ivy League. Ivy League had operating offices in Johannesburg South Africa, and in Brisbane Australia.
the purpose of the company was to deliver world-class business and marketing skills to NGO’s with an aligned mandate to make an economic and social difference. This was an interim opportunity to work with large companies who had a presence in Australasia and Africa. Clients included USAid, Deloittes, Wonderbag, FinFind and Ozharvest.
Key areas of expertise :
- Social enterprise
- Consulting services in business strategy and marketing
- Importing / exporting select products between Africa and Australasia From June 2012 to December 2013 (1 year 7 months) AustraliaCo-Founder, Owner @ www.socialact.co
This was a small start-up Pty Ltd company that was initiated in mid-2012. The purpose was to consult to companies that wanted to gain access to Africa, to better understand the African content commercially, to gain insight into the market research and understand new product or business opportunities.
Jan Hutton was the Co-Founder of Social Act, and consulted independently post leaving Nielsen, being deeply entrenched in the mobile / telecommunications, advertising / media / marketing / creative-technology ecosystem, having practical experience in leading teams as well as implementing large scale projects.
- Cross platform marketing (traditional & new media)
- Business and marketing strategy
- Brand communications
- Business development (new markets / new products) From June 2012 to January 2013 (8 months) South AfricaDirector, SA board member @ Nielsen, a market-focused provider of integrated sales, marketing and media information. Jan was appointed to the Executive Committee, as a Director for Nielsen Southern Africa. Nielsen is the leading global provider of market analysis, advising blue-chip multinationals about what consumers are looking for. Key responsibilities included:
- Responsible for drafting the Telecom strategy for Southern Africa
- New Business Development through Africa and Middle East (new Nielsen products, new markets and new potential clients)
- Consulting, at a senior level, to multinational companies on the future of Telecommunications and its impact on marketing and media for brands, providing meaningful insights
- Responsible for developing the local team and marketing of Nielsen solutions
- Overseeing multi-country projects across Africa and Middle East simultaneously
- Managing senior client relationships like Nokia, Sony Ericsson, MTN, Vodacom, Mxit From January 2011 to June 2012 (1 year 6 months) JohannesburgManaging Director, exco board member @ Jan was the Managing Director of Ogilvy Interactive South Africa (renamed as OgilvyOne). Ogilvy & Mather South Africa is part of one of the largest marketing communications networks in the world, and the number one marketing group in the country. Ogilvy Interactive creates digital marketing solutions across all interactive channels for major global and national brands. A fully integrated business unit, Ogilvy Interactive is the digital force, with a global reach extending to 50 countries and a workforce of over 4,000 online new media specialists. Key responsibilities included:
- Developing the digital strategy for Ogilvy & Mather South Africa
- Complete commercial P&L oversight and budget management
- Leading the Ogilvy Interactive management team and all staff
- Responsible for generating new revenue streams
- Senior relationship management of blue-chip client brands
- Establishing internal digital training academy to up-skill the business
- Organisational structuring to achieve commercial optimisation
- All executive performance reporting to the board
- Worked with numerous top international clients (IBM, KFC, GlaxoSmithKline, Coke, Nestle) From October 2008 to November 2010 (2 years 2 months) JohannesburgManaging Director @ Immedia, a boutique consultancy in digital marketing strategy, and nationally recognised pioneer in the blending of traditional and new media. The companies clients included SABC, Unilever, Kagiso Media, East Coast Radio, Jacaranda FM, Tongaat-Hulett Group and Video Vision. Immedia consisted of four primary business divisions that Jan was responsible for overseeing: strategy; design, development and mobile. Key responsibilities included:
- Lead Immedia strategically and operationally
- Commercial control and reporting
- Steering marketing activities to achieve company strategy
- Accountable for all staff, development plans and talent management
- Responsible for senior client management
- Worked closely with local and international blue-chip brands (eg. Vodafone, Apple, BCX, SFM, Nike) From July 2007 to September 2008 (1 year 3 months) Durban and Johannesburg officesManaging Director, Shareholder @ From February 2005 to June 2007 (2 years 5 months) Durban Area, South AfricaGeneral Manager (Retail Intelligence Division) @ Barrows is an international retail specialist company with offices in Asia, Europe, South Africa and South America. Jan was employed to lead the new-media division (now known as OneDigital Media). Jan was rapidly promoted throughout the five-year period. She worked in South Africa but serviced clients in across SA and Europe, attending the International Sourcing Fair in China to keep ahead of industry trends. Some of the multinational clients that Jan worked with were Cadbury’s, Coca Cola, Sony, SAB and Philip-Moris. Responsibilities included:
- Developed the Barrows Merchant strategy
- Responsible for marketing to international clients
- Employed and managed divisional staff in the business unit
- Managed the product development process and roll-out plan
- Business unit financial accountability and reporting From 2000 to 2004 (4 years) Durban Area, South AfricaSenior Corporate Account Manager @ From 1998 to 2000 (2 years) Durban Area, South Africa
Jan Hutton is skilled in: Digital Media, Business Strategy, Marketing Strategy, Advertising, Mobile Commerce, entrepreneurship, Mobile Communications, New Markets Development, integrated transmedia..., Consulting, Product Innovation, Mobile Devices, Africa, Management Consulting, Strategy, Market Research, Social Media, Mobile Marketing, Digital Strategy, Digital Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Integrated Marketing, Marketing, Leadership, Online Marketing, Customer Insight, Management, Marketing Communications, Online Advertising, SEO, Social Media Marketing, New Media, Business Development, Marketing Management, Segmentation
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension