Accomplished senior information technology innovator offering over ten years of leadership in identifying fundamental technical challenges and creating opportunities for revolutionary impact in the real world. Broad and successful experience directing research and development initiatives in diverse technical areas, including geospatial modeling, human-computer interfaces, modeling and simulation, knowledge-based systems, neurotechnology, and cyber security. Extensive background in all
Accomplished senior information technology innovator offering over ten years of leadership in identifying fundamental technical challenges and creating opportunities for revolutionary impact in the real world. Broad and successful experience directing research and development initiatives in diverse technical areas, including geospatial modeling, human-computer interfaces, modeling and simulation, knowledge-based systems, neurotechnology, and cyber security. Extensive background in all aspects of innovation and execution: problem recognition, concept development, payoff quantification, performer solicitation and contracting, technical development, and technology transition. Decisive executive with a focused technology vision.
Chief Technology Officer @ As CTO, Dr. Hughes is responsible for overall technology leadership and execution of strategic technical initiatives at Next Century. He is expanding the company's research portfolio that supports the development of innovative software solutions for end users.
Next Century is the developer of the Ozone Widget Framework, the open source web application dashboard environment. From October 2011 to Present (4 years 3 months) Program Manager @ Responsible for identifying opportunities for high-risk, high-impact technology solutions for the Department of Defense and, through executive oversight, ensuring that the research and development achieved its intended effect. His portfolio of advanced research and development initiatives included:
• Major programs: Urban Reasoning and Geospatial Exploitation Technology; Deep Green; Neurotechnology for Intelligence Analysts; Geometric Representation Integrated Dataspace; Geospatial Representation and Analysis; Integrated Learning; Joint Air/Ground Operations: Unified, Adaptive Replanning; Neuro-Robotic Control; numerous study (“seedling”) programs.
• SBIR/STTR programs: Open Source Information Geospatial Overlay, Hierarchical Situation Visualization, Open Source Information Tactical Exploitation, Rapid and Accurate Idea Transfer, Tactical Telehaptic Communication, Geosocial Inference for Stability and Reconstruction Operations, Data Translator for Tactical Exploitation.
Successfully obtained funding, executed procurements, awarded contracts, guided technical development, controlled costs, and transitioned technology to multiple DoD organizations. Guide diverse collections of technical performers, including large system integrators, small businesses, universities, and consultants toward a common technology vision. Program portfolio spans more offices (IXO, IPTO, I20, DSO, TTO, and AEO) than any other Program Manager in the agency’s recent history. Founding member of Adaptive Execution Office and instrumental in defining AEO’s unique technology transition mission. Received an award for a speech at the 2007 DARPATech Symposium. From July 2006 to October 2011 (5 years 4 months) Technical Manager @ Supervised research and business development activities for technology related to information integration, Semantic Web, and cognitive architectures. Projects included:
• Polymorphous Cognitive Agent Architecture: DARPA-funded initiative to develop adaptive hardware and software architecture to compute complex cognitive algorithms within the bounded real-time and physical size constraints of UAV and Intelligence analysis platforms. Managed a team of 11 academic and commercial organizations to design and perform empirical tests of cognitive components integrated with applications and a revolutionary hardware substrate.
• Ontology Translation Protocol: IR&D project developed an automated ontology alignment tool that maps 30-80% of the elements in heterogeneous data models, enabling rapid integration of multiple information resources. Led international initiative to establish standards and benchmarks for ontology alignment technology by co-organizing three international workshops. Helped to found the Lockheed Martin Semantic Web Community of Practice.
Initiated and led projects in information assurance and communication networks. These projects included:
• Dynamic Trust-based Resources: Active ad hoc network resource allocation system based on a socio-cognitive model of trust. Funded by DARPA, DyTR was shown to improve resource allocation on ad hoc networks 25% over conventional approaches. The DyTR prototype was demonstrated at DISCEX-III.
• Shared Vision Projects: Led a research team at GE Global Research Center to develop Kolmogorov Complexity-based tool for discriminating network traffic by semantic type. Later led the same team to develop an inline simulation system for geospatial location on wireless ad hoc networks. From 2001 to 2006 (5 years) Ontological Engineer @ For the DARPA Rapid Knowledge Formation program, designed a prototype vulnerability assessment program (CycSecure) based on the Cyc Knowledge Base and inference engine. Member of the technical team that implemented the ontologies and rules for the automated discovery of security vulnerabilities in computer networks as well as for reasoning about possible cyber attack plans. Technical lead for the effort to market CycSecure to investors and commercial vendors. From 2000 to 2001 (1 year)
Ph.D., Philosophy @ University of Wisconsin-Madison From 1994 to 2001 BA, Philosophy @ State University of New York College at Geneseo From 1990 to 1994 Todd Hughes is skilled in: Program Management, Technical Leadership, DoD, Intelligence, Security Clearance, Data Visualization, Human Computer Interaction, Command & Control, Knowledge-based Systems, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Geospatial Modeling, Computer Vision, Image Processing, Research
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension