A progressive career over 15 years culminating as a consultant developer with a wide range of experience in software and its application, working on global £multi-million systems. Implementation of strategic platforms based on REST-ful services. Advocate of automated acceptance testing and continuous delivery utilizing best practices to increase productivity. Built relationships and worked in collaborative development teams
A progressive career over 15 years culminating as a consultant developer with a wide range of experience in software and its application, working on global £multi-million systems. Implementation of strategic platforms based on REST-ful services. Advocate of automated acceptance testing and continuous delivery utilizing best practices to increase productivity. Built relationships and worked in collaborative development teams using Agile practices to accelerate change. Continuous delivery of financially sound and efficient solutions.
• Web Services/REST: Scala Play! Framework, Spring Framework/Security, Jersey, Jetty, Tomcat, Groovy, DropWizard
• Scala: Play! Framework, Coursera Functional Programming (Distinction), Reactive Programming (Distinction)
• NoSQL: MongoDB - 10gen M101J Alumni
• Object-Relational Mapping: JPA/Hibernate
• Caching: Oracle Coherence
• Testing: ScalaTest, Mockito, GMock, Jasmine, Mocha, JUnit, EasyMock, Hamcrest, Grinder, JMeter
• Quality: Sonar, JaCoCo, Cobertura, Istanbul, CheckStyle, FindBugs
• IDEs: IntelliJ IDEA
• Platforms: Linux, Windows
• Build Systems: Gradle, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus
• Source Control: Git
Consultant/Developer (Contract) @ • Pioneered the use of Agile and promoted open source development practices in Government within the Digital Self Assessment development team, offering significant cost-savings over established suppliers.
• Delivered to production the first ever digital replacement of Self Assessment notices using REST-ful micro-services implemented in Play! Framework Scala backed by MongoDB, taking on over 1 million verified users within 12 months.
• Provided rapid turn-around on large-scale high-profile email campaign delivered to production within 24 hours notifying all recipients on tax summaries in the subsequent 24 hours.
• Implemented A/B testing facilities to consistently vary the user experience between cohorts of users in production, furthering user engagement by allowing UX-researchers to engage in data-driven decision-making leading to significant opt-in rate increase.
• Introduced ‘UI-as-a-service’ compose-able views to the Tax Platform, de-coupling functionality between micro-services, allowing Agile delivery while decreasing interdependence between teams, increasing ease of testing and reducing the cycle time to production. From April 2014 to Present (1 year 9 months) London, United KingdomConsultant/Developer (Contract, renewed) @ From July 2012 to Present (3 years 6 months) London, United KingdomConsultant/Developer (Contract, renewed) @ Rapid development of a suite of RESTful services using DropWizard presented by an AngularJS web front-end to demonstrate the minimum viable product (MVP) for assay management, complete with ElasticSearch and automated integration testing, winning engagement with client business analysts for programme launch. From October 2013 to April 2014 (7 months) Consultant/Developer (Contract, renewed) @ • Adaptively assimilated and applied new technologies in a like-minded self-improving team using Agile practices (Scrum, pairing, TDD, refactoring) to engineer a simple, powerful, yet appropriate solution.
• Utilised MongoDB NoSQL database to back a Rich Internet Application for efficient load, retrieval and aggregation queries on large data sets of geographic, footfall and migration data, providing big-data insights to clients to effectively target location and timing of business activities.
• Focussed on delivering features at a bargain in line with lean principles to allow preferred customers to evaluate the potential of utilising anonymous footfall and demographic data. From July 2012 to September 2013 (1 year 3 months) London, United KingdomDeveloper (Contract, renewed) @ • Implemented a strategic application development platform based on REST-ful web services, integrating Spring and associated technologies (Hibernate, Coherence), deployed to a Tomcat cluster to provide a single point of access and promote consumption of risk services bank-wide.
• Integrated Maven with CI to realise a continuous delivery pipeline – automated from code-commit through unit-testing, quality checking and acceptance testing to deployment – providing stakeholders with a fast-feedback development process delivering results to specification.
• Applied automated end-to-end acceptance testing phrased in business domain language using fully-deployed environments with external systems mocked as test doubles, ensuring a releasable system throughout development.
• Promoted the combination of technologies and development platform to support team-working practices unifying understanding of business drivers – maintaining quality and long-term sustainability maintained with agility and ability to respond to market conditions.
• Developed using objective strictly-enforced build-time quality metrics with overview provided by Sonar, validating TDD-by-feature, preventing technical debt accrual and fostering the capability to make rapid wide-ranging high-impact cross-system changes with confidence and minimal adverse impact. From July 2010 to June 2012 (2 years) Travelling @ Volunteer work with big cat research project in Namibia. Travelled to Botswana, Zimbabwe, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand gaining experience of people and their cultures. From August 2009 to June 2010 (11 months) Technical Lead @ • Developed a global bank-wide system (approx 75 man-years development) extensively using enterprise Java and Spring Framework working with a scalable concurrent architecture, daily processing over 1,000 feeds to deliver timely end results to manage Market Risk.
• Designed and single-handedly executed a reference implementation web service using Spring Web Services, provided analysis and a modular design using clustered web servers for development phases - delivering to high-profile users and enabling further derived risk calculation throughout the bank.
• Development lead with 7 developers evolving Spring SEDA/light-weight ESB components and architecture for data availability tracking, increasing flexibility by allowing user-defined views to be accessed from any system tier, expediting pre-emptive generation of reports.
• Internal consultant on web server, web services, build and development processes/methodologies and data availability sub-system - communicating with decision-makers and implementers to co-ordinate on and agree sign-off for technical strategy. From January 2008 to August 2009 (1 year 8 months) Senior Developer @ Enhancement Specification and Implementation in Collateral Managment and Securities Borrowing and Lending systems. Research and introduction of new technologies (Spring, Hibernate) into products and new development practices (test-driven development, project automation). From January 2001 to December 2007 (7 years) OO Consultant @ From July 2000 to December 2000 (6 months) IT Analyst @ From January 2000 to June 2000 (6 months) Software Consultant @ From July 1997 to December 1999 (2 years 6 months) Systems Engineer @ From July 1995 to June 1997 (2 years)
BA Hons, Physics, 1st Class @ Oxford University From 1992 to 1995 4 A Levels @ Millfield School From 1989 to 1991 Tim Gordon is skilled in: Test Driven Development, Agile Methodologies, Spring, Java, JUnit, MongoDB, REST, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, Scrum, Scala, Groovy, IntelliJ IDEA, Maven, Tomcat
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension