Global Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer with a demonstrated track record of maximizing shareholder value by building revenue generating business strategies and driving profit in complex global organizations. Recognized as a strategic business partner to CEOs, executive teams and Board of Directors in both the public and private sector. Successfully built and maintained trusted relationships
Global Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer with a demonstrated track record of maximizing shareholder value by building revenue generating business strategies and driving profit in complex global organizations. Recognized as a strategic business partner to CEOs, executive teams and Board of Directors in both the public and private sector. Successfully built and maintained trusted relationships with the investment and banking community. Proven commercial orientation with experience building organization capability through executing strategic acquisitions, optimizing portfolio investments, creating positive cash flow and streamlining company operations. Key areas of expertise include:
- Investor and Board Relationships
- Treasury and Cash Management
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Capital Deployment
- Strategic Planning
- Profit Optimization
- Leadership Development
- IT Strategy/Security
- Global Business Management
- Change Management
- Internal Controls/SOX
Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer @ ATMI, a $400M publicly held company with business operations in 7 countries around the globe, was a premier global supplier of semiconductor materials and materials packaging and delivery systems used in manufacturing microelectronics devices and of single-use products for the development and manufacturing of biopharmaceuticals. The strategic sale of the Life Sciences unit to Pall and subsequent sale of ATMI to Entegris were completed in 2014.
As CFO, I led a cross-functional team of 105 in Finance and IT and was an active member on 3 Boards for ATMI investments in China (2) and Europe (1). I managed relationships with ATMI Board of Directors, shareholders, investment community and financial institutions; directed the global Enterprise Risk Management process and oversaw SEC and SOX compliance and reporting. Accomplishments include:
- Identified and evaluated strategic options to maximize ATMI shareholder value in response to industry challenges.
- Partnered with CEO, Board, investment banking and legal advisors in executing the divestiture of the $50M Life Sciences business unit to deliver optimal value for the unit prior to company sale.
- Led financial aspects of the sale of ATMI to Entegris from the strategic intent to negotiation of terms resulting in a 50% increase in shareholder value.
- Directed initiative to rationalize cost structures realizing $35M of cost savings in 2008/2009.
- Played key role in orchestrating six investments/acquisitions in Life Sciences over 5 years totaling ~$75M and realizing a 20-30% revenue CAGR.
- Partnered with CEO and EVP, Bus Dev to negotiate the strategic repurchase of manufacturing and distribution rights to most profitable product line for ~ $120M, driving incremental revenue of $40M.
- Led monthly management business review focused on sales and operations planning, new product introductions, resource prioritization and cost control.
- Maintained positive employee engagement with no voluntary turnover in reporting team. From September 2007 to May 2014 (6 years 9 months) General Manager - Packaging @ Selected by CEO to lead turnaround of underperforming $60M business unit that represented 25% of ATMI revenue and 60% of profit. Unit had missed financial targets for several consecutive quarters and team engagement was declining. Managed global team of 150 and results included:
- Rapidly stabilized business unit, achieving revised forecasts and improving engagement of employee base.
- Led negotiations for long-term agreement with largest supplier reducing costs 30%, while maintaining service levels and quality.
- Revived relationship with second largest customer, securing long-term contract and preserving $7M in revenue with minimal price concessions From March 2007 to September 2007 (7 months) Senior Vice President, Business Development @ Promoted by CEO to evaluate companies and technologies to create new capabilities to accelerate revenue growth.
- Responsible for three strategic acquisitions/alliances strengthening the company position in semiconductor materials and life sciences industries.
- Led annual strategic planning process.
- Managed banking relationships for $250M cash and investment portfolio. From March 2005 to March 2007 (2 years 1 month) Controller @ Recruited to Company that had grown from $60M to $300M in five years with challenge of reorganizing, realigning and integrating 13 businesses that had been acquired in the rapidly growing technology sector. Reported directly to CFO managing team that expanded from 8 to 50 financial professionals.
- Spearheaded $15M restructuring program that delivered $30M in savings by strategically aligning businesses and eliminating non-value-added costs, duplicate infrastructure and redundant facilities.
- Realized synergies in transaction processing by consolidating seven locations into single shared services group and streamlining operations to improve processing cycle time.
- Restructured and optimized finance team by redeploying transaction headcount to create financial planning and analysis capability to enable fact based and informed decision making.
- Partnered with investment bank to raise $115M in convertible debt. From September 2000 to March 2005 (4 years 7 months) Finance Director - Arnott's/Campbell Soup @ Selected for key international assignment for a $1.2B division and Australia’s premier biscuit and soup manufacturer. Directed FP&A and served as interim CFO for six months, managing team of 45.
- Identified significant shortfall in annual forecast within first month in position; restated targets and instituted $12M earning contingency program to compensate for sales underperformance and trade overspending.
- Introduced integrated sales and operating planning process that elevated sales forecasting accuracy and reduced costs; captured 4% increase in sales contribution through new trade spending controls and processes.
- Participated in cross-functional team to streamline supply chain and delivered $2M in cost savings. From January 1999 to September 2000 (1 year 9 months) Director Strategic Planning @ Promoted to position with responsibility for M&A and Strategic Planning for Business Unit:
- Spearheaded team analyzing productivity improvements in key icon manufacturing process, and through productivity and technological initiatives, successfully improved throughput by more than 50% avoiding $20MM in capital spending
- Selected for cross-functional move to Interim Marketing Manager for iconic “Goldfish” brand after unexpected turnover
- Designed global strategy to launch core icon brand in five proprietary global markets From March 1997 to January 1999 (1 year 11 months) Manager, Corporate Development @ Member of Corporate Development Team responsible for company-wide M&A and Strategic Planning activities
- Partnered with Business Units to develop aggressive strategic plans to create shareowner wealth and drive value-add performance
- Led G&A restructuring for Australian subsidiary leading to a 30% reduction in staffing
- Corporate liaison for merger, acquisition, and divestiture activity From October 1995 to March 1997 (1 year 6 months) Manager, Corporate Audit @ Member of Audit Leadership Team responsible for staffing, training and performance management of a 22-member Team
- Managed in-country global audit engagements at North America, South America, Europe and Asia Pacific sites.
- Provided Operating and Departmental management with recommendations to improve productivity, reduce operating costs and strengthen controls in production reporting, ingredient usage and working capital management From November 1991 to October 1995 (4 years) Audit Senior @ From June 1988 to November 1991 (3 years 6 months)
BS Economics, Finance/Accounting @ University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School From 1984 to 1988 Tim Carlson is skilled in: Finance, Business Development, Auditing, Strategic Planning, Mergers & Acquisitions, Financial Modeling, Forecasting, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Financial Analysis, Acquisition Integration, SEC Filings, Financial Reporting, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Divestitures, Venture Capital
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension