Executive management professional with 20 years experience in management, project management, development and implementation. Experienced in managing projects ranging in size from $10M to over $50M. Successful development, implementation and deployment of several large scale development projects including all aspects of the software development lifecycle; including requirements, development, testing and deployment. Highly qualified in all areas of
Executive management professional with 20 years experience in management, project management, development and implementation. Experienced in managing projects ranging in size from $10M to over $50M. Successful development, implementation and deployment of several large scale development projects including all aspects of the software development lifecycle; including requirements, development, testing and deployment. Highly qualified in all areas of change management including quality, time, cost and risk. Six years of demonstrated experience in formal leadership with a staff of 40+ people working on multiple projects. Deep experience in implementing projects on the Microsoft and Java technology stacks. Responsible for helping develop corporate and division business strategies, business plans and operating budgets. Has ability to successfully handle competing priorities, tasks, and being a creative problem solver. Able to work independently with little or no supervision and have successfully developed multi-shore development practices. Deep experience in hiring, training and mentoring staff to build a strong team environment. Has the soft skills necessary to implement large projects that span multiple departments and operate in a matrix organization.
Specialties: Executive Management, IT Architectures, Project Management, Software Development, Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Lean, Waterfall, XP, TDD
Vice President Product Development @ The Vice President Product Development is responsible for all global engineering processes, new product development programs, product development activities and allocation of global engineering functions. Works with the executive team to ensure the proper priority and people allocations are in place based upon the defined engineering priorities. Ensure the global teams are balanced to ensure the product delivery meets the demands of the market and continuously upgrades the global engineering skill set to achieve the long term product development vision. Manages and motivates the engineering staff for optimum effectiveness as well as develops budgets, schedules projects and is responsible for overseeing the creation and improvement of the engineering department's products.
- Defines and implements global engineering processes to drive consistency throughout the organization.
- Resources all projects based upon the company defined engineering priority list.
- Assess the engineering team and organizational structure to seek ways to improve performance.
- Recommend and implement potential changes to organizational structure of operations team.
- Improve overall productivity and performance by implementing strategic replacements as needed.
- Responsible for keeping key programs on schedule and managing the engineering team accordingly.
- Drives concurrent engineering at all levels of the organization to ensure meeting of program requirements and timelines.
- Establish role as a key member of management team and central support in achievement of strategic objectives.
- Develop strategic planning and provide direction and control of product development activities.
- Provide technical direction and guidance as well as hands-on project management for all product development.
- Ensure the optimal application of technology and engineering team to meet product development and/or customer requirements. From September 2013 to Present (2 years 4 months) Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul AreaFounder & CEO @ I started StarBlock.com because I am passionate about helping entrepreneurs build better companies and leveraging the power of market participants to help sort out the best companies for investment. I continue to work with mentors to grow the business and leverage my many years of software development management to build a world class engineering organization. From June 2012 to Present (3 years 7 months) Team Coach @ A software professional who combines exceptional technical ability with business savvy and effective communication skills for the position of Team Coach. Candidates must be results-driven, team-oriented, customer-focused, and self-motivated. In this role you will manage a group of development engineers, support the team's Westlaw Maintenance activities, and lead projects to build new solutions on the Cobalt Platform for the Infrastructure and Operations group in Legal Technology.
- Manage the work, performance, and careers of a team of development engineers
- Be an agent of change through thoughtful delivery of its explanation and impact
- Lead software development projects by staffing the team, scoping the work, managing risks, tracking dependencies, monitoring progress, and helping resolve critical issues
- Be ScrumMaster of a project team by facilitating agile practices and owning iteration meetings
- Coach developers to plan, execute, and track progress through stories and tasks
- Advocate for organizational agile standards like TDD and module communities
- Collaborate with internal business customers and technical partners to interpret, capture, and prioritize requirements in stories
- Provide feedback on business decisions as they relate to technical goals and standards
- Partner with Quality engineers to define proper acceptance criteria, and collaborate to resolve variations
- Partner with operations staff to insure continuous availability and functionality of delivered Production applications and features
- Proactively contribute to design discussions and carry out the strategy provided by architects
- Present concepts and proposals to a variety of audiences including engineers, business customers, and senior management
- Encourage and promote innovation and the use of technology to meet and exceed business goals
- Mentor software engineers in design and coding best practices From September 2012 to September 2013 (1 year 1 month) Manager, Software Architecture @ From October 2011 to July 2012 (10 months) Delivery Manager @ From May 2011 to October 2011 (6 months) Technical Leader @ From January 2010 to May 2011 (1 year 5 months) Desktop Team Supervisor @ From July 2009 to January 2010 (7 months) Supervisor Product Engineering @ From July 2003 to July 2009 (6 years 1 month) Embedded Software Engineer @ Previous company name at the time I was there was Hunt Technologies. From July 2001 to July 2003 (2 years 1 month) Sr. Software Developer @ From 1996 to 1998 (2 years)
Business Administration, Management and Operations, 3.89 @ Upper Iowa University From 2009 to 2011 MIS, Finance @ University of Iowa From 1993 to 1994 Computer Science @ University of Dubuque From 1992 to 1993 Sean Hughes is skilled in: Thought Leadership, Enterprise Architecture, System Architecture, Software Engineering, Software Design, Data Modeling, Data Warehousing, Cultural Transformation, Certified Scrum Master, Agile Modeling, Product Evangelism, User Interface Design, Leadership, Blue Sky Thinking, Scrum