Samir Kapoor, IBM DB2 LUW Accelerated Value Specialist (AVS) based in Toronto, Ontario. As an active member of the IBM family since 1999, he has held positions within the IBM Level 2 Information Management Support organization and IBM Information Management Accelerated Value Program (IM AVP). With over 13 years of experience in IT industry, has very strong
Samir Kapoor, IBM DB2 LUW Accelerated Value Specialist (AVS) based in Toronto, Ontario. As an active member of the IBM family since 1999, he has held positions within the IBM Level 2 Information Management Support organization and IBM Information Management Accelerated Value Program (IM AVP). With over 13 years of experience in IT industry, has very strong technical skills that thrives in a fast-paced environment. A versatile team member with deep technical knowl-edge of DB2 Databases in both DPF and non-DPF on Linux, UNIX and Windows environments.
• Provided technical support in DB2 LUW for over a decade to clients around the world - mid to large scaled DPF and non-DPF environments. Supporting DB2 releases since version 5 to recent version 10 on various operating systems including AIX, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and Windows.
• Work in dynamic and high pressure environments, down system problems with clients. Deal with any sort engine related issue from crashes, cores, data corruption, recovery, high availability, data movement to performance re-lated issues.
• Excellent understanding of IBM DB2 PMR (problem management record) Process and collaborating with different teams to resolutions of PMRs.
• Troubleshooting DB2 database problems from scale of how-to questions, non-severe problems to critical produc-tion down situations.
• Subject matter expert in optimizer area. Helped clients resolve many optimizer/performance related issues by analyzing query plans and providing corrective actions to take in order to resolve the performance problem. Ex-cellent knowledge of analyzing db2exfmt plans in both DPF and non DPF environments, cardinality estimates – filter factor estimates, statistical correlation using - column group statistics/statviews, optimizer guidelines, REOPT, and Statistics including Distribution vs. non distribution – frequent and quantile statistics. Excellent understanding of maintenance utilities, such as Reorgchk, Reorg, Runstats and Rebinds.
Senior DB2 LUW Database Administrator / Architect @ From April 2014 to Present (1 year 7 months) Toronto, Canada AreaIBM DB2 LUW Accelerated Value Specialist @ • Deliver a proactive, cost-reducing, and productivity enhancing advisory service to specific client. Build a founda-tional understanding of the client overall environment. Through that understanding, work to facilitate faster de-ployment, lifecycle leadership, risk mitigation, and more by identifying ways to improve client environment, staff skill set, and processes.
• Help DBA’s to resolve issues with DB2 LUW in different environments. Environments include commerce DOTCOM and B2B site along with a 25 to 30 TB data warehouse environment.
• Provide proactive guidance, documentation, services, and recommendations to the team to prevent issues from occurring and to deflect PMRs, whenever possible.
• Provide technical supervision of PMRs to help achieve fast and accurate resolution
• Onsite to help with critical projects - successful migration of the commerce environments to v95, data warehouse environment to 97. Performance and tuning guidance.
• Implementation of HADR in OLTP dotcom environment.
• Implementation of Data Recovery solutions - Successful implementation of Data Recovery implementation using SRDF failover strategy in a B2B commerce site.
• Incremental Backup and Restore strategy for data warehouse and data mart systems.
• Ongoing database configuration monitoring and tuning.
• Monitoring tools/scripts enhancements/implementations for ongoing performance tuning and monitoring.
• Enhance and build upon technical skills client needs. Increase knowledge of IBM Software products, AVP processes, tools, and resources to build deep technical skills.
• Ongoing technical presentations which include Optimizer and PD/PSI sessions. From November 2011 to April 2014 (2 years 6 months) IBM Canada Ltd.DB2 LUW Advanced Support Analyst @ • Provide Level 2 advance technical support to clients with DB2 LUW Database systems on both DPF and non-DPF environments for all releases up until version 10.1.
• Provide software product support by advising the guiding clients on technical decisions in the use of DB2 product, as well as identifying and effectively using available resources to resolve questions or problems related to the product installation, configuration, utilization, functionality, updates, compatibility, performance, across multiple platforms, databases and network infrastructures.
• Utilize technical and negotiation skills in collaboration with other support operations/organizations to prioritize and diagnose problems to resolution.
• Perform problem determination and problem source identification for both defect and usage support for DB2 product, and build testing environments toward creating reproducible scenarios for any reported issues.
• Employ efficient workload and time management skills by maintaining awareness of assigned priority for problem records and successfully prioritizing related tasks in a multitasking environment.
• Recognize and minimize client impact by using timely and appropriate escalation processes to engineering if new defects are identified, seeking and providing sufficient feedback to and from involved stake-holders, testing and validating issues/solutions as well as assessing and providing alternate solutions as applicable.
• Work with management, team leads and other support staff in client-focus initiatives to reduce customer com-plaints and improve customer satisfaction rates.
• Maintain subject matter expertise relating to existing or new functionality of DB2 product and promoting value of the same to clients.
• Utilize effective written and verbal skills, including the use of proper grammar, spelling, organization and clarity in audience-appropriate communication. From June 2001 to November 2011 (10 years 6 months) IBM Canada Ltd
Bachelors, Electrical Engineering @ Ryerson University From 1996 to 2001 Air Force Bal Bharti School From 1981 to 1988 applewood heights secondary school Samir Kapoor is skilled in: AIX, DB2, SQL, Data Warehousing, Linux, Enterprise Architecture, Business Intelligence, Unix Shell Scripting, High Availability, Unix, Java, Oracle, Software Development, Shell Scripting, Database Administration, Websphere, Disaster Recovery, Solution Architecture, Databases, Performance Tuning, Solaris, Database Design, Data Modeling, PL/SQL, Perl, ETL, IBM AIX
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension