Master's Degree, Master of Public Administration - International Trade & Finance Concentration @
Harvard Kennedy School of Government
I am a serial entrepreneur and venture capital/growth equity investor who is passionate about identifying and developing innovative companies that truly transform the way we live. From early stage start-ups to later stage ventures, I've participated in co-founder, investor, and operational roles and ultimately am passionate about taking companies to the next level of growth and success.
I am a serial entrepreneur and venture capital/growth equity investor who is passionate about identifying and developing innovative companies that truly transform the way we live. From early stage start-ups to later stage ventures, I've participated in co-founder, investor, and operational roles and ultimately am passionate about taking companies to the next level of growth and success. Feel free to connect with me regarding new opportunities and to discuss disruptive technologies.
Specialties: Venture Capital, Private Equity, Consulting, Start-ups, Entrepreneurship, Operations, Technology and Innovation, Healthcare Innovation, Evaluation and Application of Emerging Technologies, Mobile Health, Health IT, Web 2.0, Business Development, Strategic Partnerships, Deal Structuring & Negotiation, Product Strategy, Monetization, Corporate Development, Financial Modeling, User Acquisition, Distribution Partnerships, Direct Outbound Sales Strategies, Market Research, Industry Due Diligence, and Technology Investing (Venture Investing & Angel Investing). Excel and Powerpoint Expert.
President @ Strategically partnered with Carolinas HealthCare System (www.CarolinasHealthCare.org), the second largest public healthcare system in the USA, Edison Nation Medical (www.EdisonNationMedical.com) is the only innovation marketplace and healthcare incubator dedicated to assisting the individual medical professional & entrepreneur in bringing their innovative healthcare inventions and startups to life.
Through intellectual property and product development, medical efficacy review, and commercialization analysis and outreach, Edison Nation Medical is able to fast track the often laborious and time consuming process of innovation in the healthcare industry. Our ultimate goal is to invest in and develop companies and technologies that improve the quality of care delivered to patients around the world.
Via our confidential online portal at www.EdisonNationMedical.com, we are open to receiving inventions and companies at all stages of development from sketches on backs of napkins to Series A or earlier startups. Our industry categories of interest include Acute Care, Durable Medical Equipment, Consumer Healthcare, and Infrastructure/Facilities.
Ultimately, we strive to break down the barriers that inhibit medical innovation by enabling the individual to play a more active role in improving healthcare. From July 2013 to Present (2 years 6 months) Charlotte, North Carolina AreaCo-Founder, Director of Business Strategy & Development @ Leading designer and manufacturer of handcrafted furniture and gifts made from reclaimed whiskey, scotch, and wine barrels.
Heritage Handcrafted is a designer, manufacturer, and marketplace of handcrafted, artisanal furniture and gifts crafted out of aged whiskey, scotch, and wine barrels. The products are all very unique ranging from Adirondack chairs and chandeliers to celebration boxes and cuff links.
With my co-founder, we have grown this business from a weekend hobby into one of the largest artisanal manufacturers in the United States with partnerships with numerous distilleries and retailers. Notably, we have secured a partnership with Pappy Van Winkle and The Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery to be the exclusive provider of gift boxes that incorporate their Pappy Van Winkle barrel staves.
http://heritage-handcrafted.myshopify.com/blogs/press From January 2012 to Present (4 years) Private Equity Associate @ $12 billion Global LBO private equity fund, part of the Technology, Media, & Telecom investment team in Menlo Park, CA (MBA Internship).
• Analyzed potential LBO investments across all TMT industry verticals. Performed extensive operational, financial, and industry due diligence and assisted in the management of third party relationships (Consultants, Legal, Investment Banks)
• Created financial valuation & operational models, industry diligence presentations, and company sourcing reports
Selected Transaction Experience:
•Ancestry.com (~$1.8B take private acquisition): led the international expansion opportunity and competitor analysis work streams: created international expansion forecast valuation model, conducted competitor and market analysis, and analyzed subscriber metrics. From June 2012 to August 2012 (3 months) Consultant - Private Equity Group @ Global management and strategy consulting firm, part of the private equity consulting group (MBA Internship).
•Conducted diligence for multi-billion dollar software company acquisition. Analyzed channel partner contracts and company’s work flow distribution product – identified 20% margin improvement opportunities and potential incremental sales of $45M/year
•Analyzed the 3D television and consumer glasses industry for a venture capital client interested in purchasing a high-end 3D glasses company. Created competitor market maps, industry forecasts, and adoption rate models From June 2011 to August 2011 (3 months) Consultant to the CEO @ Bain Capital Ventures portfolio company providing a SME-focused data back-up and disaster recovery SaaS solution (MBA Internship).
• Analyzed and redesigned the inside sales process, from lead generation to close, to emphasize success drivers, increase efficiency, and improve win rates for this rapidly growing start-up
• Created dashboard operating financial model identifying ideal staffing, product mix, and win rates needed to achieve strategic goals
• Company was acquired by DELL Computers in 2012 From 2011 to 2011 (less than a year) Director of Special Projects/Senior Mgmt Team @ Portfolio company of J.H. Whitney Capital Partners, Wellman Plastics Recycling is the leading manufacturer of recycled thermoplastic resins and PET Plastics for the automotive, lawn and garden, consumer products, and electronics industries.
• As part of J.H. Whitney's deal acquisition team conducted diligence, valuation modeling, and transaction execution for the $25m Chapter 11 bankruptcy acquisition of this nylon and PET plastics recycler
• Following the acquisition, transitioned to a senior management, operational role and partnered with the newly hired CEO to create and implement a turnaround plan which restructured sales, marketing, and operations which significantly increased revenues and profitability
• Refocused core Engineering Resins business to more eco-friendly and profitable product lines.
• Successfully diversified company into PET Plastic recycling and Lanolin recycling; two new business verticals
• Designed, created, and launched both Wellman Plastics and Wellman Engineering Resins websites
• Helped identify, structure, and implement new financing for business once operations improved
• Left business to attend graduate school at Wharton (MBA) and Harvard Kennedy School (MPA)
• Wellman Plastics Recycling was successfully sold to Shanghai Pret Composites Co. Ltd,. an international strategic conglomerate, for a 4.0X+ Return in Q1 2015 From January 2009 to September 2010 (1 year 9 months) Private Equity Associate @ $850M growth equity/private equity fund focusing on healthcare, consumer goods, retail, and specialty manufacturing investments.
• Conducted qualitative & quantitative due diligence and financial modeling for hundreds of growth stage companies for this $850M growth equity, middle market growth equity fund
• Part of deal teams for 5+ transactions during tenure before transitioning to a senior management, operational role at a portfolio company
• First Associate chosen to invest for Senior Management's personal investment vehicle, Westwind Investors
Selected Transaction Experience:
• Wellman Plastics Recycling: conducted diligence, valuation modeling, and transaction execution for this Chapter 11 bankruptcy acquisition of this nylon and PET plastics recycler. Following the acquisition, transitioned to a senior management, operational role to partner with the newly hired CEO to create and implement a successful turnaround plan
• San Joaquin River Ranch: led diligence, industry analysis, and valuation modeling for this 6,000 acre farm acquisition. Managed third party consultants, accounting, and legal diligence through acquisition & assisted in new operational plan
• Currie Technologies: conducted diligence, valuation modeling, and deal structuring for this electric scooter manufacturer
http://www.westwindinvestors.com/ From 2007 to 2010 (3 years) Private Equity Associate @ $100M lower middle market private equity fund focused on consolidating owner-operated, regional businesses.
• Developed industry theses, conducted diligence, and proactively sourced investment opportunities
• Contacted 8K+ companies generating numerous meetings with business owners and subsequent transaction term sheets From 2006 to 2007 (1 year) Rugby Brand Launch @ From 2005 to 2006 (1 year) Congressman Richard Burr Office @ From 2000 to 2000 (less than a year)
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), Private Equity & Venture Capital Concentration @ Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania From 2010 to 2013 Master's Degree, Master of Public Administration - International Trade & Finance Concentration @ Harvard Kennedy School of Government From 2011 to 2013 Bachelor's Degree, History & International Relations Concentration @ Harvard University From 2002 to 2006 High School Diploma @ Choate Rosemary Hall From 1998 to 2002 Robert Grajewski is skilled in: Venture Capital, Financial Modeling, Private Equity, Corporate Development, Valuation, Strategy, Mergers & Acquisitions, Entrepreneurship, Portfolio Management, Corporate Finance, Management, Due Diligence, Start-ups, Competitive Analysis, Strategic Partnerships, Strategic Consulting, New Business Development, Emerging Markets
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension