Hardware Development Manager Power Conversion IC's and applications. @ Rohm Semiconductor
Development Manager @ NXP
J. Edgar Hoover wrote in Engineer's Week in 1954 the following about engineering: "It is a great profession. There is the fascination of watching a figment of the imagination emerge through the aid of science to a plan on paper. Then it moves to realization in stone or metal or energy. Then it brings jobs and homes
J. Edgar Hoover wrote in Engineer's Week in 1954 the following about engineering: "It is a great profession. There is the fascination of watching a figment of the imagination emerge through the aid of science to a plan on paper. Then it moves to realization in stone or metal or energy. Then it brings jobs and homes to men. Then it elevates the standards of living and adds to the comforts of life. That is the engineer's high privilege."
I began my career as a research scientist at the Philips Research Laboratory in Eindhoven where I quickly that creating profitable new business based on innovation brings a huge sense of satisfaction. All my roles following this position have been in organisational leadership related to startup businesses and change management and taking place in an international setting.
Most notable achievements comprise:
• 250M Euro new business creation and establishment of a dedicated organisation.
• Leading the restructuring of an autonomous group in Taiwan.
• Leading the development (100+ engineers across 4 R&D locations with budget 30 MEuro) of the first commercial digital TV chipset in 90nm technology.
• Ground-up creation of the first R&D center outside Japan.
• Re-organisation of multi-national R&D.
First and second author of 15 patents.
As a pragmatic and analytical executive, I find it very rewarding achieving the right balance between capabilities and opportunities in the high-tech industry. I enjoy challenges and creating new business.
My key qualities are:
• Pragmatic, fact-based manager that keeps direction under pressure
• Sense of humor and ability to address the human factor in working environment
• "coaching" leadership style with strong cross cultural adaptability
• reliable in deliverables and result oriented
• Broad technical and scientific orientation
• Act as technincal concience of the team also towards customers and business relations
• creative in finding new approaches and ability to formulate and act upon strategy
VP Engineering @ Technetix is a leading supplier of broadband network components ranging from the headend, the access network to the home. The R&D function is located across three centres in the UK, Belgium and the Netherlands.
As the R&D executive responsible for the three locations one of the challenges was to create a seamless team and bridge cultural differences. Within six months I was promoted to Group VP and took up the additional responsibility as General Manager for the repair shop in Belgium and the operational tasks of releasing new products. From April 2012 to January 2014 (1 year 10 months) VeenendaalHardware Development Manager Power Conversion IC's and applications. @ I took on the challenge of building an R&D group from scratch starting with the selection of 15 expatriate designers from Japan and gradually built the team recruiting a further 16 locally. We devised a healthy product strategy aiming at selected lead customers in Europe especially in the German automotive sector. From 2009 to March 2012 (3 years) Duesseldorf, GermanyDevelopment Manager @ NXP was previously part of Philips and then became an independent semiconductor company. My position was development manager for power management and lighting applications. These established departments needed to be refocused on new business and product strategy.
• Down sizing of product developments that fall outside the new corporate product strategy and keeping the team motivated, creative and productive. From 2006 to 2008 (2 years) Nijmegen, Eindhoven, CaenHardware Development Manager Digital TV @ • Led the development across 4 different design locations for the first commercial digital TV chip set.
• Responsible for a 100+ design team and >30M Euro budget. From 2004 to 2006 (2 years) R&D and Quality Manager @ • Transfer of all R&D activities related to micros for TV from Europe to Taiwan and ramp down others.
• Establish an effective quality organisation comprising of local organisation as well as with the centres in Hamburg, Starnberg and Zuerich.
• Quality relations with key clients in Asia including quality crises management.
• Advise and structuring of new executive team in terms of organisations, procedures and compliancy to quality standard such as ISO and PBE. Achieved International ISO9001 and PBE (Philips Business Excellence) certification. From 1999 to 2004 (5 years) TaiwanDevelopment and Application Manager Power Management products. @ • New business generation of $ 250M within 4 years based on "GreenChip" line of products.
• Coauthor of several patents on Power Conversion based on hv IC and associated circuit design. From 1995 to 1999 (4 years) NijmegenSenior Research Scientist @ • Research on high-voltage IC technologies, circuits and applications.
• 6 patents and 2 papers. From 1990 to 1995 (5 years) Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and Master, Solid state Physics and electronics @ Technische Universiteit Eindhoven From 1982 to 1990 Rob Fronen is skilled in: Power Electronics, Semiconductors, Electronics, ASIC, CMOS, Product Management, Analog Circuit Design, Power Supplies, Organizational..., Consensus Building, Leading Change, Strategic Partnerships, Cross-functional Team..., Creative Solutions, Long-term Customer..., Business Strategy, Leading Organizational..., Innovation Management, Quality Management, Inspiring People, Product Development, Product Innovation, Creative Problem Solving, Department Budgeting, Equipment Repair, Intellectual Property, High Voltage, Experimental Physics, Digital TV, Solid State Lighting, Business Process..., Site Management, Team Leadership, Connecting People, Cultural Awareness, University Relations, Team Management, Program Management, Intellectual Property..., Design Strategy, Change Management, Creative Strategy, Product Design, Product Launch, Budget Monitoring, Budget Forecasts, Customer Engagement, People Development, Seller Representation, Client Representation
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension