Bachelor of Arts (BA) @
University of California, Los Angeles
Business leader with 15+ years experience as P&L owner of small-to-medium enterprises and as management consultant for world-class, multi-national companies. Dedicated focus on value creation through revenue enhancement and cost reduction in leading portfolio companies, turnarounds, mergers, organic expansions, and reorganizations. Cross-functional management experience in strategy, finance/accounting, H/R, operations, business development, and sales/marketing. MBA with dual concentration
Business leader with 15+ years experience as P&L owner of small-to-medium enterprises and as management consultant for world-class, multi-national companies. Dedicated focus on value creation through revenue enhancement and cost reduction in leading portfolio companies, turnarounds, mergers, organic expansions, and reorganizations. Cross-functional management experience in strategy, finance/accounting, H/R, operations, business development, and sales/marketing. MBA with dual concentration in Finance & Management from Wharton and BA in Economics from UCLA.
• P&L responsibility for Network Optix. Achieve 1,100% revenue growth and profitability in first year.
• Acquisition and turnaround of Solara Engineering, achieving profitability in less than 6 months and 150% organic growth in 2 years. Acquisition of and integration with Zenith Manufacturing to form $6MM specialty manufacturing group while attaining key supplier award status with Boeing and Northrop.
• Profit enhancement for multiple clients of The Boston Consulting Group including $80MM EBIT improvement through restructuring of European business division for a $5B fresh food and products client and $11MM efficiency and effectiveness improvement via process/organization redesign and implementation for $4B bio-pharma client.
Specialties: General Manager | P&L | Small business | Middle Market | Consulting | Fortune 500 | Strategic planning | Portfolio company | Turnaround | Revenue acceleration | EBITDA & Margin improve | Mergers & acquisitions | Operating partner | Private equity | Startups | Multi-site | Consolidation | Integration | Business development | HR | Analytics | Finance | Operations | Budgeting | Cost analysis | Cash flow | Process design | Implementation | Benchmarking | Change management | Conflict resolution
CEO and President @ From 2014 to Present (1 year) Chief Operating Officer @ From 2012 to 2014 (2 years) Consultant / Advisor @ Strategic, operational, and financial consulting to small businesses and startups for fee and equity stake. Sample clients include:
• $15MM manufacturer of school furniture and components with factories in the Far East and sales, marketing and customer management in the U.S.
• $4MM specialty provider of electronic-beam weld services with 60+ years in business.
• Angel and strategic-funded software startup focusing on video management applications for surveillance industry. From 2010 to 2012 (2 years) Vice President / Partner @ Owner and operator of manufacturing group for aerospace and defense sectors. $6MM in combined annual revenue with personnel of 60, comprised of two distinct but integrated companies: Solara Engineering - prototype machining; and Zenith Manufacturing - sheet metal fabrication. Designated Boeing "Preferred Supplier" and direct contractor to the U.S. defense as well as key subcontractor for Northrop, Raytheon, and Pratt & Whitney.
Finance, Operations and Corporate Administration (2004 - 2010) From February 2004 to 2010 (6 years) COO / CFO @ Strategic Expansion, Post-Merger Integration, and Consolidation (2006 - 2009)
• Acquired competitor's assets at significant discount (40% of par value of default company notes). Target sheet metal fabricator featured dual attractiveness as a pure financial deal and as a strategic operational complement, having both a differentiated customer base and product specialization from Solara.
• Maximized top line growth to $6MM through: (1) cross-selling of capabilities; (2) brand differentiation to sell along multiple price points; (3) re-establishment of impaired customer relationships; (4) avoidance of sales cannibalization; (5) increased capacity and capacity utilization, yielding greater than proportional output.
• Enhanced bottom line profitability through: (1) consolidation of operations into purchased 57,000 sqft facility; (2) elimination of back-office and support redundancies; (3) procurement cost economization via volume and term discounts. Maintained annual profitability and positive cash flow despite significant acquisition and integration costs and disruption. From January 2006 to 2009 (3 years) COO / CFO @ Business Acquisition, Turnaround, and Growth (2004 - 2006)
• Negotiated and acquired financial note for key equipment of ten-year old precision machining company at 30% of par value and 50% discount to market value of collateral assets. Exercised leverage derived from owning the operational-critical assets and effectuated a transitional control of business operations.
• Transformed business from consistent losses to profitability within 6 months through: (1) immediate cost containment and working capital stabilization; (2) management and workforce restructuring; (3) targeted development and cultivation of key client accounts; (4) process and system creation or reconfiguration; and (5) strategic outsourcing to boost output margins.
• Achieved 150% organic revenue growth to $4.5MM in two years while increasing margins. Developed new business lines with customers through strategic investments in technology and digital processes. Aligned employee and company interests through incentive programs targeting quality and productivity. From 2004 to 2009 (5 years) Director of Corporate Sales, Marketing and Communications @ Leading technical and creative services provider to media/entertainment industry
• Managed business development efforts for strategic accounts, with focus on major studios. Coordinated multi-business unit sales teams in attracting and responding to long-term RFPs. Efforts resulted in securing nearly $100MM in planned service revenue.
• Devised and implemented company-wide incentive-based compensation plan for sales personnel. Responsible for constructing program to align sales force with Company’s revenue and EBITDA objectives, as well as promote teamwork and inter/intra-business cross-selling. Drafted terms and conditions of the Plan as well as tailored structure to meet requirements of four disparate business units, both in US and UK.
• Created marketing and sales packages being used as standard Company information material and templates. Work product included company overview, business unit overviews, RFP response packages, and company-wide town hall presentations. Additionally, prepared Board and Bank presentations on behalf of CEO.
• Drafted white paper presentation on process to identify and assess new business opportunities, ranging from market extensions of current capabilities to new strategic initiatives. Prepared report evaluating strategic and financial benefits of outsourcing operations for cable network. From 2002 to 2003 (1 year) Consultant @ International management consulting firm specializing in corporate strategy for Fortune 500 clients
• Restructured European banana business for global fresh food and flowers company, which had been cash flow negative previous two years. Optimized volume and customer portfolio to maximize profitability. Actual/forecasted EBIT improvement of $80MM.
• Led multi-department client teams for bio-pharmaceutical company in process/organization redesign and implementation project. Facilitated meetings, developed implementation plans, and managed organizational changes that required coordination of business units, HR, and Communications. Estimated $11MM in effectiveness and efficiency improvements.
• Assessed market potential of acquired subsidiary in networked storage space for hard-drive company whose core business was mature with commodity characteristics. Recommendations resulted in discontinued additional investment and divestiture of subsidiary.
• Explored ISP and web portals acquisition/roll-up strategy for media and entertainment client. Evaluated financial attractiveness of target companies, acquisition feasibility and strategic fit. Analysis helped persuade CEO to avoid up to $40B in acquisitions resulting in significant value destruction. From 1999 to 2002 (3 years) Marketing and Strategic Planning Associate @ E-commerce startup, leading retailer of textbooks on the Internet, IPO'd in 2000 From 1999 to 1999 (less than a year) Senior Consultant @ Boutique consulting firm specializing in forensic accounting and economic/financial impact analysis in the context of dispute resolution. From 1995 to 1998 (3 years)
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Finance and Management @ Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania From 1998 to 2000 Bachelor of Arts (BA), Business/Managerial Economics @ University of California, Los Angeles From 1992 to 1995 Chaminade Richard Fei is skilled in: Start-ups, Management Consulting, Private Equity, Joint Ventures, Change Management, General Manager, CFO, New Business Development, Organizational Design, Director, COO, Executive Management, P&L responsibility, Small Business, Entrepreneur