Senior Architect @ Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) (Formerly NASD)
Principal Consultant / Engineer @ Fannie Mae
Manager and Principal Lead @ NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Master's Degree, Technical Management @
The Johns Hopkins University
Self-motivated enterprise technology hands-on trusted leader to analyze, solve, mentor, influence and develop strategic infrastructure solutions for on-premises, cloud & hybrid systems. Over 20+ years of experience in IT architecture, engineering, security, relationship building, advising, auditing, proof-of-concepts, troubleshooting, transformations & systems solution.
Lead & architect collaborative innovative solutions with improved reliability, performance, monitoring & reduced cost. Very
Senior Architect @ Served as a key technical leader, advisor & a specialist in architecting, engineering & implementing results oriented solutions. Owned technology planning, standardization, roadmap, contracting, vendor relations, engineering, budget planning, performance mgt., security, risk assessment & audit compliance.
Instilled confidence, mentored team relationship, influenced key decisions & strategies. Presented solutions to the senior management, application & internal teams.
Engineered multi-disciplinary complex data systems:
• Sensitive member, dispute, enforcement & finance PII structured data
• Market regulation Big-data
• Meta-data management
• Led Member & Market regulation 6 large Hadoop clusters 7PB+ & 220 nodes.
• Integrated Hadoop, Netezza & Greenplum.
• Authored AWS Hadoop & RDBMS reference architecture.
• Proof-of-concepts of Cloud analysis, sizing & costing of Amazon AWS, IBM Softlayer & Microsoft Azure.
• Published strategic roadmap for over $10M annual spend.
• Spearheaded the platform selection, architecture & benchmarking for 2 datacenters with DR.
Governance & Standards:
• Published enterprise platform standards, policies, compliance matrix, monitoring & reporting.
Security, Risk & Audit:
• Chaired enterprise security patching triage committee
• Engineered Hadoop security & data protection.
• Audit databases, UNIX, clusters & Hadoop.
• Led complex projects – 200 Oracle, 1400 SQL server databases, 200 Solaris & RedHat Linux servers, 600 Windows & 1400 desktop clients.
• Led Oracle, SQL server, Solaris & Hadoop rollout.
• Provided advice & influenced key decisions to Internal Audit, CSO, Senior Mgt. & Applications.
• Fostered trusted relationship.
• Led Oracle 10gR2, 11gR2, 12cR1, SQL server, MySQL & Sybase ASE .
• Led Oracle OEM, OID, data-fix, design, troubleshooting, security & rollout strategies.
• Oracle, Symantec, Cloudera, Microsoft, Dell & Redhat.
• Lowered over $1M. From August 2003 to Present (12 years 3 months) Rockville, MarylandPrincipal Consultant / Engineer @ Led and advised Senior Management in the Database Engineering for all the mission critical 24x7 systems and FannieMae market room Mortgage backed securities and underwriting operations. Following were some of the key responsibilities:
• Led complex client/server engineering for 150 Sybase database servers running, 80 large Solaris servers and 1800 clients.
• Improved the mortgage underwriting process from 30 minutes to 10 seconds.
• Implemented database backup & retrieval process from 24 hours day reduced to 30 minutes using automated Netback & SQL backtrack solutions versus the legacy tape operations process.
• Established standards and developed policies and procedures for all the complex database systems management.
• Performed trade-off analysis of the database SAN storage solutions, server sizing, risk analysis, data security, data corruption, reliability testing, monitoring and reporting process.
• Led and implemented Market room operation systems, High availability, zero downtime, redundant and 99.99% availability.
• Led and developed Disaster Recovery strategies by implementing data replication solutions using Database logical data replication and storage block replication solutions for all the very mission critical production Class-1 applications.
• Led, designed, implemented, validated and supported 24x7 Disaster recovery solutions for the contingency sites.
• Tested Oracle RAC solutions and developed data migration strategies from Sybase to Oracle.
• Conducted vendor evaluations, established database benchmarks and performance reporting.
• Led complex projects, developed detail project plans and conducted engineering reviews. Coordinated, engineered and supported FannieMae business critical applications.
• Mentored, provided guidance and staffing of the operations and engineering database group. From July 1992 to July 2003 (11 years 1 month) Washington D.C. Metro AreaManager and Principal Lead @ • Led the design and development of National Space Science Data Center (NSSDC) data archival & distribution system.
• Managed and conducted analysis, design and implementation of NASA data ingestion, archival, distribution and user interfaces
• Led analysis of NASA Goddard data center mass storage and delivery system solutions. From October 1989 to June 1992 (2 years 9 months) Hughes STX, Greenbelt, MarylandSenior Member Technical Staff @ • Led and performed requirement analysis, database design and implementation of a Centralized Master Directory & Inter-operable relational database system for NASA Space and Earth Science projects. From October 1986 to September 1989 (3 years) Hughes STX, Greenbelt, MarylandQuality Analyst @ • Advised projects during the life-cycle of the enterprise project development process, walk-thrus, reviews and audits.
• Reviewed project and design documents for completeness, content, conformance, consistency and quality.
• Conducted independent system acceptance & integration tests and published project guideline measurements. From October 1985 to September 1986 (1 year) McClean, VirginiaSystems Analyst @ • Designed, developed & implemented software used for programming process-controllers, robotics and factory automation.
• Performed requirement analysis, system design, structured analysis, data flows, data dictionary & program design. From July 1983 to October 1985 (2 years 4 months) Charlottesville, Virginia AreaPart-Time Faculty & Teaching Assistant, Math & Computer Science Dept. @ • Taught Undergraduate Calculus as Graduate Assistant and Advanced Engineering Math as a part-time faculty teacher. From September 1981 to June 1983 (1 year 10 months) Villanova, Pennsylvania
Master's Degree, Computer Science @ Villanova University From 1981 to 1982 Master's Degree, Technical Management @ The Johns Hopkins University From 1988 to 1992 Master's Degree, Engineering Management @ University of Maryland University CollegeBachelor's Degree, Mechanical Engineering @ National Institute of Technology Karnataka From 1976 to 1981 Prem Ramamurthy is skilled in: Enterprise Architecture, Oracle, Cloud Computing, Architecture, IT Strategy, Disaster Recovery, Database Design, Big Data, RDBMS, Hadoop, Data Migration, Microsoft SQL Server, Standards Compliance, Cross-platform..., Vendor Relationship..., Technical Support, Technology Roadmapping, Budgeting, Engineering, Product Selection, IT Management, Emerging Technologies, Performance Tuning, Proof of Concept, Risk Management, Data Management, Data Security, Systems Engineering, Large Systems..., Open Source Software, Technical Leadership, Vulnerability Management, Patch Management, Troubleshooting, System Monitoring, Data Analysis, Technology Advisory, Auditing, Encryption, Team Leadership, Collaborative Problem..., Amazon Web Services..., Sybase, MySQL, Veritas Cluster Server, Veritas Storage..., Database Administration, Replication, Enterprise Security, Cloud Strategy
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension