California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
I’m not your normal leader. I fight for what I believe is right, but am not afraid to listen, explore and understand the other side. This passion allows me to build the support and trust of others. I hope to be fair, and never ask of others, things I wouldn’t do myself. I believe there is nothing
I’m not your normal leader. I fight for what I believe is right, but am not afraid to listen, explore and understand the other side. This passion allows me to build the support and trust of others. I hope to be fair, and never ask of others, things I wouldn’t do myself. I believe there is nothing sweeter than seeing a plan perfectly executed, but understand that failures are inevitable. I accept that failure, but never in the same way twice. But most of all, I believe it is far more rewarding to give credit than to take it.
Specialties: P&L Responsibilities, Strategy, Business Operations, Cross-Functional Leadership, Product Positioning, Business Partnerships, Contract Negotiations, Digital Media, Audience Development, Building Vertical Markets, Acquisitions
SVP, Sales Operations @ In this position, I am responsible for the improvement of operational workflows from the acceptance of an RFP to the sending of a wrap-up deck. I specialize in implementing new processes that assist in meeting larger business goals; ranging from margin improvement to enforcing sales standards to setting how the company addresses industry challenges (viewability, ad fraud, etc.). I have been particularly focused on projects that are business critical and span across multiple departments. From March 2015 to Present (10 months) VP and General Manager, Crowd Ignite @ In this position, I oversaw Crowd Ignite, which is a content and audience marketing platform that surfaces up the most popular content across contextually similar sites. Crowd Ignite makes over 3 billion content recommendations monthly through advanced algorithms to increase audience engagement. Think of it as a link exchange on steroids. This role included the build out of a dedicated team responsible for our audience distribution strategy, relying on learnings from Crowd Ignite to drive more qualified users at cost-effective prices.
My responsibilities included:
• Management of P&L
• Implementation of products that generate revenue without affecting value proposition
• Create an audience development team to drive user acquisition (paid and unpaid) across the company for long term user growth and sales campaign support.
• Prioritization of design, feature, and functionality improvements that will improve user experience, grow traffic return rates, and generate revenue.
• Lead the recruitment and negotiations for top-tier strategic publishers. From March 2014 to June 2015 (1 year 4 months) Greater Los Angeles AreaHead of Operations - CraveOnline @ In this position, I was responsible for the management of 13 owned and operated websites as well as the strategic positioning of the Entertainment, Gaming and Male Lifestyle divisions within CraveOnline. While there was a strong focus on branded ad sales, I also focused on affiliate relationships to expand reach and analysis of non-ad revenue opportunities. I led cross functional teams to work towards bigger goals and objectives while keeping an eye on the market to make sure our products were positioned properly with a competitive edge.
My responsibilities included:
• Margin management for the division
• Setting website growth strategies and execution by content teams
• Analysis of strategic affiliate relationships
• Pursuing mutually beneficial business partnerships
• Identifying product and sales positioning
• Contract negotiations with Tier 1 publishers
• Operational process improvement
• Budget setting From December 2012 to March 2014 (1 year 4 months) Greater Los Angeles AreaSr. Managing Director; GameRevolution, LiveOutdoors @ In this position, I was in charge of positioning, execution and overall strategy for the Video Game and Outdoor verticals at Evolve Media Corp before it got merged into CraveOnline where I took a Head of Operations role across more verticals and owned and operated properties. Included in my responsibilities were:
• Ownership of P&L statements for each vertical
• Management of content teams for owned and operated assets
• Analysis of strategic affiliate relationships and contract negotiation
• Management of revenues and profit margins
• Strategic product and sales positioning From November 2011 to December 2012 (1 year 2 months) Greater Los Angeles AreaManaging Director; Game Revolution, LiveOutdoors - Evolve Media, LLC @ • Built a top 5 gaming and top 5 outdoor hub by affiliating key independent gaming publishers
• Managed key publisher relationships to maximize revenue opportunities and strategic alliances
• Effectively integrated new ad opportunities within sales pitches to stay on the cutting edge with offerings in a dynamic online environment.
• Analyzed areas of growth and opportunity for multiple owned and operated properties through SEO and content strategies
• Oversaw sales packages and integrated opportunities offered through the gaming vertical
• Management of P&L with aggressive YOY growth numbers
• Management of content teams across 3 owned and operated properties in 2 different content verticals. From December 2009 to January 2012 (2 years 2 months) Sr. Manager Business Development @ • Established a top 10 online gaming hub, focusing on content distribution, affiliate partnerships and ad sales integrations.
• Managed and oversaw a group of publisher partners and internal ad sales members focused on Outdoor related content (Hunting, Fishing, Motorsports)
• Located and pursued inside sales leads for Mixed Martial Arts websites and advertisers.
• Collaborated with the finance department to review company performance and assist in the collection of performance data for key publisher partners. From May 2009 to March 2010 (11 months) Manager, Business Development @ • Negotiated ad sales contracts with mid-tail and tier 1 web publishers
• Managed 6 key content verticals including Male Lifestyle, Film and Gaming to strengthen existing partnerships and expand current offerings
• Developed financial tools and templates to assist the department in creating materials which are critical to negotiations
• Effectively worked with company CEO, Aaron Broder, to identify new areas of growth
• Interacted with with finance and accounting departments to analyze financial landscape and market trends From March 2008 to May 2009 (1 year 3 months) Business Development @ • Researched emerging websites in multiple content categories to form business partnerships
• Performed initial reach out, negotiation, and closing of ad sales contracts with publisher partners
• Created sales collateral to assist in contract negotiations From May 2007 to March 2008 (11 months) Tax Associate @ • Prepared tax returns and supporting schedules to fulfill client’s filing requirements in each jurisdiction.
• Collaborated with partners, managers and seniors in order to identify additional opportunities to better serve the client.
• Interacted with client representatives to communicate the timing of projects and the information required to complete the tax returns. From September 2006 to May 2007 (9 months)
Master of Business Administration (MBA) @ UCLA Anderson School of Management From 2012 to 2014 BS, Finance, Accounting, Marketing @ California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo From 2001 to 2006 Paul Hanges is skilled in: Google Analytics, Quantcast, Microsoft Office, Financial Analysis, Atlas, Redbooks, Online Advertising, Advertising, Marketing Strategy, Ad Networks, Digital Media, Advertising Operations, Digital Strategy, Salesforce.com, Digital Marketing