Vice President, Sales Operations, Enablement, and Pre-Sales @
High tech marketing leader who thrives on building high-performing teams and businesses. Demonstrated success in creating messaging that resonates, delivering programs that perform, and investing in people and processes to build organizational capability. Equally effective driving revenue for technical products and business-oriented solutions. Experience in SaaS, security, IT infrastructure, analytics, business process management, energy/utilities, banking, and retail.
High tech marketing leader who thrives on building high-performing teams and businesses. Demonstrated success in creating messaging that resonates, delivering programs that perform, and investing in people and processes to build organizational capability. Equally effective driving revenue for technical products and business-oriented solutions. Experience in SaaS, security, IT infrastructure, analytics, business process management, energy/utilities, banking, and retail. Contributed to multiple successful exits (Opower IPO in 2014, Q1 Labs acquisition by IBM in 2011).
Energetic leader and people manager with experience building, developing and motivating high-caliber teams.
Vice President of Marketing @ Lead all marketing functions globally, including product marketing, communications, demand generation and digital marketing.
Invincea is the leader in advanced endpoint threat protection, protecting more than 25,000 customers and 2 million active users. We provide the most comprehensive solution to contain, identify, and control advanced attacks, including spear-phishing and Web drive-by attacks. Invincea offers the only market-deployed solution that defends against zero-day exploits, file-less malware, and unknown malware.
The company has been in market with our award-winning threat prevention and detection technology since 2009. In 2011, Invincea won the prestigious "Most Innovative Company of the Year" award at RSA Conference, and since then we’ve won many more, including Washington Business Journal "Best Places To Work" and DCInno "50 on Fire in Tech" Finalist.
Invincea is backed by leading venture capital firms New Atlantic Ventures, Grotech Ventures, Harbert Venture Partners, Aeris Capital, and Dell Ventures. From February 2015 to Present (11 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaVice President, Sales Operations & Strategic Pre-Sales @ Led a global organization encompassing all sales operations and pre-sales functions, including pipeline management & forecasting, sales training & enablement, CRM and sales process design, lead/sales development, strategic sales consulting, sales engineering, and proposals. Increased sales productivity, improved business predictability, and developed scalable global processes. Managed an organization of 30 professionals spanning North America, Europe and Asia.
The company became publicly traded on the NYSE (ticker: OPWR), following our IPO in 2014. From May 2013 to December 2014 (1 year 8 months) Program Director, Product & Segment Marketing - IBM Security (post Q1 Labs acq) @ Led worldwide product marketing for Security Intelligence (Q1 Labs / QRadar), Big Data Security, Network Security, IBM X-Force and Endpoint Security. Responsible for product and segment content, demand generation & digital marketing guidance, product launches, public and analyst relations, and sales and partner enablement. Managed global team of product marketing managers. Joined IBM via Q1 Labs acquisition.
Led integrated marketing launch of IBM Security Intelligence with Big Data (http://bit.ly/1zOzsjU) - see below. From November 2012 to May 2013 (7 months) Director of Product Marketing @ Built Product Marketing function for Q1 Labs, a leader in the Security Intelligence market, subsequently acquired by IBM. Developed messaging, content and programs that enhanced company’s position as Security Intelligence market leader and supported aggressive marketing and sales goals, contributing to acquisition by IBM. Helped exceed acquisition plan revenue goals through compelling thought leadership content, effective enablement programs, and creative execution of major launches.
• Collaborated to produce year-on-year growth of 60%+ in both sales opportunities and average selling price, through enterprise-centric solution and use case content, with expanded competitive intelligence
• Generated more than 10,000 views with target audience by authoring 11 thought leadership blog posts and two feature articles in IBM X-Force Trend and Risk Report From June 2011 to November 2012 (1 year 6 months) Director of Solution & Product Marketing - SUSE Linux @ Led worldwide marketing for Linux business unit (>$150M revenue), Novell’s growth engine. Guided solution positioning and messaging, demand generation, PR and analyst relations, creative campaigns, and sales enablement, with matrixed responsibility for $20M global budget. Served on Linux senior management team that produced 150%+ revenue growth over 4 years and record profit.
Managed a global team of 10 product marketing, field marketing, and marketing communications professionals. Promoted twice and invited to President’s Club, a rare honor for Marketing employees.
• Increased Linux renewal rate by 15 points through customer communications and sales tools.
• Grew SUSE Studio community to 110,000 users through creative social media and PR.
• Won 2010 American Business Award (“Stevie Award”) for SUSE Studio (http://bit.ly/cvH1Yl). From June 2010 to June 2011 (1 year 1 month) Sr. Solution Marketing Manager - SUSE Linux @ Promoted to manage a team of five product marketing and campaign planning managers and served as matrixed marketing leader for Novell's overall Linux business. Led SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 global launch, which generated $7M of web-driven pipeline in first 90 days and won "Best Integrated Marketing Campaign over $250,000" in Business Marketing Association of NYC 2009 Ace Awards. From November 2008 to June 2010 (1 year 8 months) Sr. Product Marketing Manager - SUSE Linux @ Served as product marketing lead for Server and Desktop products. Responsible for market analysis, collateral creation, guidance of global marketing programs, web content, partner marketing and sales training. Drove 50% Server growth and 80% Desktop growth over 2 years, through creative marketing programs such as "Your Linux is Ready" microsite. From August 2006 to November 2008 (2 years 4 months) Sr. Product Marketing Manager @ Led product marketing activities for the banking and capital markets industry, Pega’s largest vertical. Helped grow banking revenue by 30% through differentiated messaging, focused marketing plans and cultivation of strong analyst relationships. From June 2003 to August 2006 (3 years 3 months) Product Marketing Intern @ Created go-to-market plan and content for new partner solution for the CPG industry. From June 2002 to August 2002 (3 months) Strategic Alliance Manager & Product Manager @ Performed business development and product management for retail industry B2B marketplace. Negotiated and executed four partnership agreements. Developed product requirements and created marketing content. From March 2000 to May 2001 (1 year 3 months) Senior Associate @ Conducted strategic and financial analysis, quantitative modeling and market research for boutique strategy consulting firm. Advised clients in publishing, retail, restaurant, private equity and engineering industries on corporate and product strategy, operational improvement and M&A. From September 1997 to March 2000 (2 years 7 months)
MBA @ Harvard Business School From 2001 to 2003 BSE, Operations Research @ Princeton University From 1993 to 1997 Michael Applebaum is skilled in: Go-to-market Strategy, Product Marketing, Demand Generation, Marketing Strategy, Sales Enablement, Product Management, Cloud Computing, Product Launch, Competitive Analysis, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Messaging, Sales Operations, Start-ups, SaaS, CRM