Graduate Certificate of Business, Business Administration, Distinction @
Edith Cowan University
A university educated multisite operations manager who has a proven track record of achievement leading multimillion dollar businesses up to 15 sites. With broad exposure leading family operated businesses, Operations Consulting, Area Manager and Head of Operations roles over large corporates, SME's & Franchisors I have had an array of different experiences over my career. Furthermore I
A university educated multisite operations manager who has a proven track record of achievement leading multimillion dollar businesses up to 15 sites. With broad exposure leading family operated businesses, Operations Consulting, Area Manager and Head of Operations roles over large corporates, SME's & Franchisors I have had an array of different experiences over my career. Furthermore I have diverse product experience including food retail, foreign currency & supermarkets, I have been able to achieve success through exceptional training, coaching & development, a no compromise approach to recruitment, building amazing teams & developing great relationships with both internal & external stakeholders.
Skill set includes, but not limited to: multisite retail, people & relationships, team engagement, coaching & development, recruitment, training, performance management, managing change, leading exceptional customer experiences, revenue & profit growth, franchising, operations management, operations development, process improvement, new store openings/closures, real estate/site assessment and selection, format development, HR process development (performance management, recruitment, training, induction programs, training programs), food safety.
Group Operations Manager @ American-style burgers with toasted sweet buns, thin and tender Wagyu beef patties, home made mayonnaise & pickles, fresh ripe tomatoes and smears of mustard & ketchup. Not forgetting the tasty chips, ice cold beer and thick shakes made with awesome quality ice cream and home made syrups. Established in 2012 and with a cult like following, Huxtaburger currently has 5 American-styled diners in and around Melbourne.
“Named after the Cosby family matriarch, it’s the jalapeno mayo that’s the key to Clair’s success at Huxtaburger. Slaw and a hefty chicken fillet that’s all golden crunch in the right places sit on a two-hand brioche bun. Available in normal and junior sizes, the Clair is giving the Bill a run for his beefy money.” — Herald Sun From November 2015 to Present (2 months) Melbourne, AustraliaArea Manager | Multisite Manager | Team Manager @ Reported to State Manager WA (last 6 months remotely to State Manager WA & QLD) with objectives to drive service, sales, culture, targets & compliance through people leadership and development across 15 stores, 40 people and sales in excess of $65 million
- Monthly improvements in total team members achieving KPI Benchmark
- Top region in ANZ for inventory adherence, out of cycle orders, recommendations, sell offs
- Improvement in audit results. EG: Cloisters 33% improvement
- Recruited/inducted/trained 12 people as main pillar to turn region from good to great
- Top 10 mystery shop results in WA - with 6 team members scoring 100%
- 'Operations Champion' initiative to be adopted/replicated over ANZ by National Operations Manager
- Cultural change & team engagement - improved attitudes toward "one team", customer satisfaction, individual & team performances, renewed focus on attitudes/behaviours & KPI performance
- Customer experience, targets/KPIs
- People leadership - coaching/development, recruitment, performance management, retention, rostering (including leave/absenteeism), training/development. Liaise with HR/L&D Partner.
- Omni Channel - execution of click&collect business
- Marketing - implement campaigns/promotions, VM, adherence to brand guidelines.
- Inventory management – out of cycle ordering, adherence to automated ordering systems
- Operations - Execute in line with standard operating procedures/coach operating disciplines
- Policy/procedures - Adhere to Company/location policy/procedures, including Audit, Risk, Health/Safety, Security/Retail requirements. Liaise closely with Operations Coordinator.
- KPI analysis/reporting
- Manage communications i.e. daily calls, email, meetings/conference calls.
- Stakeholders - Concession stores (HSBC, helloworld, Australia Post), Shopping Centres
- Loss prevention
- Store Openings EG: Rockingham, Morley / Closures EG: Murray St, Morley
- Capture competitor insight. From December 2014 to November 2015 (1 year) Perth, AustraliaBusiness Consultant | Operations Consultant | Operations Trainer @ Casual and interim retail business consulting, retail operations projects and retail franchising projects.
PROJECTS: (See project details and dates/time frames below)
- Croissant Express Franchising - Coffee Strategy (27 stores)
- Croissant Express Franchising - "Ready to Serve" Strategy (27 stores)
- Turnworks Australia Pty Ltd - Food & Beverage Grab & Go Concept/Brand Development
- Various - Coffee Consulting/Training/Advice From October 2013 to December 2014 (1 year 3 months) Equity Partner | Business Manager | Operations Manager @ Croissant Express - Garden City
Led team of 15 people, including an Assistant Store Manager and Team Leader to achieve store and brand goals. This role encompassed full P&L accountability for the franchised business.
- Being chosen by new CEO/owners of Croissant Express Franchising in September 2013 to turn around poor hot beverage sales through training and development of other Franchisees for chain of 27 stores.
- Consistently sold on average 50kg of coffee per trading week (6 days) - a phenomenal volume for a brand that is not synonymous with coffee. This represented approximately 20% of total coffee sales for the whole chain of 27 stores. Achieved through exceptional training and team engagement with disciplined approaches to superior service consistency and product quality.
- Profitable small business in a highly competitive cafe/food sector in a challenging retail environment under a struggling brand.
- Results for the last National Operations Review while managing the business:
Coffee sales volume - Ranked 1/27
Coffee sales % increase on LY - Ranked 2/27
"Ready to serve"/Customer service - Ranked 1/27
OHS - Ranked 1/27
Food safety - Ranked 1/27
Sales Growth - Ranked 3/27
Coffee Operations - Ranked 1/27 From November 2009 to October 2014 (5 years) Perth, AustraliaRetail Manager | Department Manager @ Management Training Program at Coles Floreat focusing on management and leadership of Dry Goods & Replenishment operations with a team of 20. Included exposure to quality, compliance & leadership principles across the fresh and service departments. Turnover: $16 million.
Reported to Store Manager From 2007 to 2009 (2 years) Perth, Australia
Master of Business Administration (MBA) @ Edith Cowan University From 2014 to 2016 Graduate Certificate of Business, Business Administration, Distinction @ Edith Cowan University From 2014 to 2014 Diploma of Retail Management, Retail @ Swinburne University of Technology From 2013 to 2013 Western Australian Certificate of Education @ St Norbert College From 2002 to 2006 Matt Fickling is skilled in: Leadership, Training, Retail, Sales, Management, Change Management, Cultural Change, Team Engagement, Coaching, Store Management, Customer Satisfaction, Recruiting, Merchandising, Concession Stores, Profit
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension