Consulting Editor / Course Developer / Media Editor @ nSight, Inc.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), English major; History/Philosophy minor, Summa Cum Laude @
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-New Brunswick
Drawing on my expertise in three different content areas – math, English language arts, and history/social studies – I have produced a wide variety of educational content over a ten-year career, from custom assessments and classroom textbooks to extensive online item banks and college-level support material. My work in these diverse fields has been driven by my
Drawing on my expertise in three different content areas – math, English language arts, and history/social studies – I have produced a wide variety of educational content over a ten-year career, from custom assessments and classroom textbooks to extensive online item banks and college-level support material. My work in these diverse fields has been driven by my natural curiosity and strong educational background, and bolstered by thousands of hours of in-field experience teaching students in both one-on-one and classroom settings.
In addition to my work as a writer and editor, I've also pursued an active career as a performing musician, the highlights of which include appearances on Saturday Night Live and NPR's Prairie Home Companion. I spent several years touring across with US and Japan as a guitarist/multi-instrumentalist for the bands April Smith and the Great Picture Show (aprilsmithmusic.com) and Spiraling (spiraling.net). Along with countless shows, these tours have included featured sets at Lollapalooza (2009), the Newport Folk Festival (2010), and South by Southwest (numerous times). My playing and arranging have been featured on many recordings, and on several prominent television and radio spots.
Content Editor @ From March 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) Managing Editor @ • Supervised the creation of custom grade 4-8 history/social studies practice assessments for the Virginia Department of Education.
• Developed and edited assessment content, ensuring alignment with Virginia DOE History/Social Studies Standards of Learning and assessment development guidelines.
• Managed writing staff and coordinated workflow with design, copyedit, and fact checking teams, ensuring that projects were completed on deadline and to client specifications.
• Supervised the development of history/social studies content for a series of workbooks designed to prepare students for GED, TASC, and HiSet high school equivalency tests. From September 2013 to February 2014 (6 months) Consulting Editor / Course Developer / Media Editor @ • Designed a U.S. History course for the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s Bachelor of Applied Sciences in Organizational Leadership Program. Developed course structure, syllabus, and assignments based on faculty-approved reading materials and Texas higher education learning objectives and course competencies.
• Redesigned content from the college text Mathematics for Elementary Teachers: A Contemporary Approach (Musser, Gary L. et al. Hoboken, NJ; Wiley, 2014) for a student-facing online module. Reviewed existing elementary math, geometry, and algebra question content for accuracy and computational correctness, and optimized hard-copy content for an online environment. Authored original student-facing question rationales and content-focused text support material. From March 2013 to November 2013 (9 months) Project Manager @ • Supervised the creation of hundreds of elementary, middle, and high school question items aligned to Common Core Language Arts standards.
• Managed writing staff, mentored new writers through the item creation process, and ensured that assigned work was completed on deadline.
• Reviewed and edited contractor work to verify that it was correctly aligned to targeted Common Core standards and Bloom’s taxonomies, and that it conformed to client’s content standards and item development guidelines. From June 2012 to December 2012 (7 months) Managing Editor @ • Supervised the authoring, editing, and production of a History/Social Science item bank of over 1,400 question items for the California public school system, overseeing all facets of item development: recruiting and managing writing staff, approving item content and alignment, and coordinating on-deadline workflow with copyedit, design, and online production teams.
• Supervised the re-alignment of over 3,000 existing ELA items to Common Core and state language arts standards.
• Assisted senior math editor with various elementary, middle, and high school projects; oversaw completion of custom math assessments for numerous clients. From May 2011 to May 2012 (1 year 1 month) Editor @ From 2007 to 2010 (3 years) Editor @ From 2007 to 2010 (3 years) Content Specialist @ • Composed, arranged, and edited K-12 assessment tests and question items in subjects including math (K-8, geometry, algebra I & II, pre-calculus), ELA, and history/social studies (U.S. history, world history, civics).
• Authored and edited test material and instructional content for some of the nation’s largest and most influential school systems, including New York City, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Denver, Baltimore, Florida, and Texas. From June 2007 to March 2009 (1 year 10 months) Master Tutor @ • Taught hundreds of high school, college and post-graduate students in both one-on-one and full classroom settings to improve their performance on the SAT, SAT Subject Tests (U.S. History, Literature), LSAT, GRE, and GMAT. Tutored students in various academic subjects.
• Named NJ Teacher of the Year in 2004 in recognition of the quality and scope of teaching efforts. From September 1999 to February 2007 (7 years 6 months)
Front End Web Design @ General Assembly From 2015 to 2015 Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), English major; History/Philosophy minor, Summa Cum Laude @ Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-New Brunswick From 1994 to 1998 Elizabeth HIgh SchoolDigital Trends in the Book Industry, A @ New York University Marty O'Kane is skilled in: Editing, Common Core State Standards, Teaching, Content Development, Publishing, Content Writing, Writing, Project Management, Education, Mathematics Education, American History, World History, Educational Assessment, Managing Editor, Literary Editing, Managing Workflow, Mentoring Of Staff, InDesign, Vendor Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension