Executive Producer, Creative Technologist @ National Film Board of Canada
Partner and Technical Director @ Randomlink Interactive Inc.
Technical Lead and Creative Consultant @ Vancouver 2010 Olympics | Canada Code
Executive Producer, Creative Technologist @ As Executive Producer/Creative Technologist Loc Dao heads up digital content and strategy for English Programming at the National Film Board of Canada. Loc oversees the slate of digital projects and leads the digital team which has created and produced award winning work such as Bear 71, Waterlife, Welcome to Pinepoint, The Test
Executive Producer, Creative Technologist @ As Executive Producer/Creative Technologist Loc Dao heads up digital content and strategy for English Programming at the National Film Board of Canada. Loc oversees the slate of digital projects and leads the digital team which has created and produced award winning work such as Bear 71, Waterlife, Welcome to Pinepoint, The Test Tube with David Suzuki, Gods Lake Narrows, The Last Hunt and more available on nfb.ca/interactive.
- Created a multi-platform content and marketing strategy called a Storyworld for Bear 71 with an interactive documentary, installation, live event and social media narrative. Launched at Sundance and went on to win FWA Site of the Year 2012, Webby Award, Cannes Cyber Lion.
- Currently implementing his tablet strategy and has released an interactive graphic novel, is about to release an interactive photo essay and is working on an app with world renowned artist Stan Douglas.
- Created partnerships with projects in co-development with the Guardian and Channel 4's Film4.0.
- Seeking new revenue opportunities for interactive productions in addition to projects licensed to Discovery and SBS and digital partnerships with Adobe, the Guardian and Channel 4.
- Spoken on the future of storytelling, interactive and tablets at The TriBeCa Film Festival, Sundance Film Festival, Power to the Pixel and Asian Side of the Doc.
- Created digital training program for all NFB Producers, Executive Producers, Production Coordinators, Studio Administrators.
- NFB/Interactive technical and content framework running 50 projects+
- NFB/Interactive Hosting Infrastructure using clustered origin servers, multiuser servers in two cities and Amazon S3/Cloudfront Edge Network
- NFB/Interactive Design, Programming, API Development and Integration Guide
- NFB/Interactive desktop, mobile, tablet, installation QA process From 2008 to Present (7 years) vancouver, canada areaPartner and Technical Director @ Created and implemented digital content, technical and hosting strategies for Vancouver 2010 Olympics Canada Code, Canada Wide Media, Orato Citizen Journalism startup, Citizens Bank of Canada UGC Project. Worked as a web studio for Warner Bros and Westwood/EA.
Business Development with clients across North America.
Setup and maintained a server farm for Randomlink of over 25 servers using Peer1 and Bell/Group Telecom. Mentored by co-founder of Group Telecom on networking and systems architecture.
Web based consulting and solutions.
Content Management System development.
Drupal CMS development.
Web Site Design.
Custom web application hosting.
PCI Certified E-Commerce hosting. From July 1997 to December 2010 (13 years 6 months) Technical Lead and Creative Consultant @ Technical Lead for front end programming, custom CMS, international systems and delivery for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics Cultural Olympiad's Canada Code User Generated Content Project.
Technical architect of Custom Dynamic website and Content Management System.
Technical architect of 10 server origin cluster and Akamai CDN for 10 million users in 14 days. Integrated into the 70+ server cluster and Olympics CDN implementation.
Responsible for Security of the application and hosting with VANOC/Deloitte security consultants.
Highlighted by Mashable for this Olympics online. From October 2008 to March 2010 (1 year 6 months) Executive Producer and Technical Lead @ Co-created and produced editorial, design/development, on-going production for CBC Radio 3 constellation of cbcradio3.com digital magazine, terrestrial, web and satellite radio, 5 websites including largest independent Canadian music database since 2000.
- CBCradio3.com weekly digital magazine editorial, design, programming, audience delivery, audience interaction.
- CBC Radio 3 constellation CMS Technical Architect and technical lead.
- CBCRadio3.com magazine design and programming guide/toolset, API and CMS Architecture/Programming
- All CBC Radio 3 Website Editorial, Content, Design, Development, QA
- Planning team for CBC's third radio network From June 1997 to March 2006 (8 years 10 months) Network Concert and Studio Session Producer @ Produced live concert and studio session recordings of artists such as Oasis, Radiohead, Frank Black, Iggy Pop, The Rheostatics, Ron Sexsmith, Modest Mouse. I also oversaw the concerts schedule for Realtime and Radiosonic and co-ordinated the recordings of Bjork, Victoria Williams, The Cure, Bare Naked Ladies and more. From September 1994 to September 1999 (5 years 1 month) CanadaProducer @ Producer of live national network radio shows such as Realtime and Radiosonic which booked guests such as Norm McDonald, The Kids in the Hall, Gillian Anderson, Michael Moore, Doug Coupland and more. First radio show in the world to stream online with interaction from audience over IRC, phone and email. One of first radio shows in the world to have a website. From September 1994 to August 1997 (3 years) CanadaSound Engineer @ Worked on local news, national news, national radio shows in both English and French at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Collected tape for As it Happens and the network syndication services. From July 1992 to August 1994 (2 years 2 months)
Bachelor of Science (BSc) @ Concordia University From 1990 to 1992 CEGEP @ Marionopolis College From 1988 to 1990 Loc Dao is skilled in: Digital Strategy, Content Development, Creative Technology, Documentaries, E-commerce, New Media, Digital Media, Content Strategy, Interaction Design, Video, Video Production, Creative Direction, Information Architecture, User Interface Design, User Experience