Principal Software Designer @ Butterfly Software Limited
Senior Environment Management Engineer @ Raytheon Systems Limited (RSL)
Software Designer with a track record of on-time delivery and quality.
Skilled in problem solving and a of range software languages drawn from 16 years of software and product development in several markets and organisations. Proven ability to deliver on time, within resource constraints, achieving quality and time to market objectives. Top Contributor (highest achievement levels) for
Software Designer with a track record of on-time delivery and quality.
Skilled in problem solving and a of range software languages drawn from 16 years of software and product development in several markets and organisations. Proven ability to deliver on time, within resource constraints, achieving quality and time to market objectives. Top Contributor (highest achievement levels) for last two years and consistently for seven years out of the last eleven.
Principal Software Engineer @ Butterfly AER development From September 2012 to Present (3 years 3 months) Principal Software Designer @ Butterfly AER development From November 2010 to September 2012 (1 year 11 months) Senior Environment Management Engineer @ • Responsible for the deployment and configuration of weblogic applications to support multiple integration and production Redhat Linux environments used by the integration, system test and support teams on local and remote datacenter sites, leading a group of 4-6 engineers directly and 10+ indirectly across the platform integration group.
• Represent the combined Environment Management and Platform Integration group, reporting and delivering status and progress to senior management and decision makers.
• Responsible for delivering a defined, and fully resourced, project delivery plan for the environment management team. Accountable for driving senior management and Human Resources to ensure all skills and headcount requirements are met.
• Develop and progress Perl, Python and Shell scripts to increase the automation of the deployments.
• Interacting and working across multiple teams and levels to problem solve test and deployment issues, progress enhancements, and provide team leadership to ensure objectives of the team are met.
• Produce detailed deployment guides to support the future deployments at production by an independent service group.
• Working with the infrastructure and application architects across multiple sub contract teams to define and design the integration environment for the next release. From November 2008 to October 2010 (2 years) Senior Software Designer & Team Leader (Nortel Account) @ • Owned the Home Subscriber Server (HSS) Design Assembly, integration and sanity activities.
• Owned the design and implementation of a new Services feature on the HSS - ‘Basic Services Set Identifier’. Development was in Java running on a Linux OS. The feature was delivered 3 weeks ahead of schedule with no issues raised by the independent testing team.
• Owned the design and implementation of new tools and scripts to enable the recovery of databases on remote sites when the automatic replication between the sites has failed. The tools were written in Java with interactions with the MySQL database via a JDBC connection. Both the tools and scripts were implemented within a VSE Linux environment.
• Senior analyst and problem solver for issues across the HSS product found during verification testing. Leading and coaching junior members of the team during the problem solving and resolution processes.
• Provided technical leadership and expertise to IBM India design team. From June 2007 to November 2008 (1 year 6 months) Senior Software Designer & Team Leader @ • Owned the Design Assembly and integration feature and team for two releases of the HSS product enabling the smooth and successful delivery into Product Verification allowing immediate formal testing with no major delays or issues.
• Maintained continuous sanity of the source stream and target platform as the HSS was transitioned from a Solaris based single platform onto a new ATCA VSE Linux based platform.
• Tracked issues meticulously prior to PV delivery ensuring owners were assigned and fixes were submitted in order to meet the committed schedule.
• Designed and Developed the OAM framework for the new HSS. The framework was written in Java and developed on top of JMX in a Solaris UNIX environment.
• Owned the development of HSS AAA/Radius modules. This work required the integration of C/C++ modules with Java, use of JNI and the internal COMMS fabric, Data Management models and interfaces and Funk Radius. From September 2004 to June 2006 (1 year 10 months) Senior Software Designer & Team Leader @ • Designed the BLSR and Topology Discovery software solution into the new release of the Optical Management Element Adapter.
• Designed and Developed new GUI plugin for the Network Management desktop, using Java, J2EE, rmi, swing, awt and CORBA.
• Led the mediation of two new NE’s (OME6500 and CPL) into next generation network management solution (OMEA), developing in Java and XML.
• Designed and developed software to support a new ASCII device into the existing management system (OPCA) – to meet a lead customer’s specific request. Technology used included C++, UDP sockets, client/server, and ACE libraries in an UNIX environment. Work included building a device simulator for testing the software.
• Created customer user guides and development documentation for future designers relating to the above software. From November 2002 to August 2004 (1 year 10 months) Software Development Manager @ • Led and motivated a software development team of 20+ engineers working in JAVA, XML interfaces and C++ in a UNIX and Windows NT environments to deliver a new Network Management solution (NEA) for one of Nortel’s leading NE’s (OM5000 series) in an un-precedent timescale of only 5 months from start to finish. Delivered subsequent releases of the NEA to meet further critical customer commitments.
• Led further development teams to deliver features into the company’s End-to-End Connection Management solution (Trail), and Alarm Management solution for a major customer contract (BT Core Preside Solution).
• Worked and interacted multi-site, liaising with other development groups, verification, senior architects, project managers, and brand management to resolve issues, agree release features and ensure they were delivered according to the requirements specified.
• My management role included both task management and career management which included appraisals and remuneration decisions. From October 2000 to October 2002 (2 years 1 month) Senior NE Embedded Software Engineer @ • Designed and developed real-time embedded software for Nortel’s best selling SDH multiplexor (OM4K series) through its first 5 releases. Primarily programming in C under a UNIX environment.
• Integrated and tested the embedded software using debug and emulation tools.
• Provided consultancy on future releases of the project and interacted with leading customers and brand management. From July 1996 to September 2000 (4 years 3 months) R&D Software @ • Evaluated new technologies, both to determine which if any, should be adopted by the company, and afterwards provided advice and support when they are used.
• Developed an Output production library to allow Visual Basic developers to format both Word and mainframe letters. The library written in C used DDE to talk to MS Word.
• Developed several Visual Basic, ALGOL and mainframe utilities/toolkits to help and assist other software development teams within the systems department. From September 1994 to June 1996 (1 year 10 months)
MSc & BSc (Hons), Computer Science @ Queen's University Belfast From 1989 to 1994
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension