Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science @
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Senior Software Developer and Team Lead with extensive expertise and proven track record of developing highly available object-oriented software across wide varieties of platforms and architectures. Skilled and experienced in all phases of software development lifecycles and in process improvement. Adept working in large corporations as well as small startups. Extensive customer interaction experience within requirements and
Senior Software Developer and Team Lead with extensive expertise and proven track record of developing highly available object-oriented software across wide varieties of platforms and architectures. Skilled and experienced in all phases of software development lifecycles and in process improvement. Adept working in large corporations as well as small startups. Extensive customer interaction experience within requirements and design of new services as well as supporting roles. Advocate for Agile development processes and automated testing.
Java Developer @ From January 2015 to Present (1 year) Senior Software Engineer @ Designed and implemented server interfaces for new mobile applications using Java and the Spring Framework. The back end used embedded Jetty as the web server, an HBase back-end database, and Amazon S3 for file storage.
- Designed and implemented client-server JSON and XML-based API’s for Android, iOS, and web-based clients.
- Designed and implemented billing interfaces to a third-party provider (Stripe).
- Designed and implemented push interfaces for Android and iOS.
- Prototyped a WebRTC peer-to-peer data transfer service on iOS using Objective-C. From May 2013 to October 2014 (1 year 6 months) Software Developer/Team Lead @ Advanced from Java Developer to Team Lead in 1 year. Responsible for leading a small software development team creating various new portal ISP features for BlackBerry Internet Services. Implemented portal features involving Java-based server development for Tomcat-based platforms with Oracle back-end databases. Team introduced BlackBerry to use of the Spring framework.
- Led the architecture, design and development of an innovative cloud-based web service for discovering user email server settings, which was utilized by the setup wizard of the BlackBerry PlayBook and Z10 / Q10 phones.
- Designed and implemented additional features for over-the-air contact and calendar data synchronization, using various XML over HTTP interfaces such as CalDAV, CardDAV, and SyncML.
- Assisted in introducing the Scrum development methodology to the organization.
- Implemented new features and bug fixes for synchronizing email, contact and calendar information for the BlackBerry Z10 / Q10 handsets, successfully pivoting from server-side Java development to handset middleware development in Python under extreme schedule deadlines. From March 2008 to March 2013 (5 years 1 month) Java Developer (Contract) @ Worked in a small geographically distributed team to maintain and develop new features for a J2EE web-based intranet health care system using Weblogic and Struts, with an Oracle database back end.
- Designed changes to incorporate HL7 TCP / IP message handling into the website.
- Incorporated automated unit testing with code coverage using JUnit, Mockrunner, and cobertura, increasing unit test code coverage from 0 to 15% within weeks. From October 2007 to March 2008 (6 months) Director of Engineering @ Fastmobile was a startup company developing mobile messaging applications (e.g. multimedia IM, email, PIM) on a variety of mobile client platforms sharing a common highly-available Linux-based server platform. The server software was implemented completely in core Java and supported MySQL and Oracle databases.
- Managed local and offshore software development teams of 10 – 20 engineers.
- Supported sales team in technical presentations and discussions with existing and prospective customers.
- Assisted in software development, testing and technical support issues as needed to meet company deadlines. From December 2002 to May 2007 (4 years 6 months) Senior Engineering Manager, Internet Solutions and Content @ Advanced from Principal Staff Engineer to Senior Engineering Manager, managing teams of
10-30 people working on new product software development for a new mobile voice and instant messaging platform which incorporated multiple technologies such as automatic speech recognition (ASR), text-to-speech (TTS), web servers, and wireless web gateways to provide advanced internet and voice services.
- Supervised development of OAM&P, Call Processing, Database and Configuration Management subsystems, including system integration and software configuration management. System software involved object-oriented development with programming in Java, C++, XML and JSP.
- Acted as Release Engineer for MIX product development, including ownership of development processes and management of load building and integration functions. From March 1998 to June 2002 (4 years 4 months)
Master's Degree, Computer Science @ University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignBachelor's Degree, Computer Science @ University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Kevin Kinder is skilled in: Agile Methodologies, Software Development, Scrum, Java, XML, Mobile Devices, Wireless, Web Applications, Web Services, Unix, Linux, Software Engineering, C++, Integration, Mobile Applications
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension