Vice President Global Innovation @ The Hershey Company
Carlsberg Group @
Marketing Director Russia and Central Asian Republics @ Mondelēz International
BA Hons @
University of Nottingham
Highly accomplished senior global CPG executive with solid expertise in business and category transformation, brand and portfolio development, new product development and innovation and P&L management. A truly global leader with cultural and commercial fluency combining strong strategic insight and operational excellence to focus organisations on creating value. Skillful at inspiring, building and leading high performing multi-cultural
Highly accomplished senior global CPG executive with solid expertise in business and category transformation, brand and portfolio development, new product development and innovation and P&L management. A truly global leader with cultural and commercial fluency combining strong strategic insight and operational excellence to focus organisations on creating value. Skillful at inspiring, building and leading high performing multi-cultural and multi-functional teams to deliver superior performance across developed and emerging markets. A proven track record of business, category and brand turnaround across 14 categories and 50+ global, regional and local brands in Kraft Foods (Mondelez), Coca-Cola, BAT and Carlsberg.
Core Competencies: Strategy development and implementation ▪ Business and category transformation ▪ Global, Regional and Local Brand Building and Management ▪ Portfolio Strategy ▪ New Product Development ▪ Digital Marketing ▪ Revenue Management ▪ Channel and shopper marketing ▪ Insights to Action ▪ General Management ▪ Turn-around /Change management ▪ P&L Responsibility ▪ Acquisition integration ▪ Cross functional collaboration ▪ Cross country engagement and alignment ▪ Building High Performing Teams ▪ Leading in a matrix
Vice President Global Innovation @ Championed the global leadership and P&L delivery of Carlsberg’s strategic innovation and brand growth platforms. Drives the innovation value creation for Carlsberg's global and local brand portfolio together with the creation of new distinctive brands to capture new attractive white space profit pools. Leads the global innovation team, cross-functional project teams and a global network of Innovation Directors. Member of the Global Commercial Leadership Team, reporting to the SVP for Group Sales Marketing and Innovation, a Member of the Executive Board.
• Established and redefined Carlsberg’s Global Innovation Division. Developed strategic framework and operating model leading to a step change in innovation success with future pipeline focused more on transformational, category redefining innovation.
• Re-engineered the co-ideation process improving innovation success rate from 35% to 80% as a result of a robust insights-to-action approach.
• Created five-year value-accretive innovation pipelines for Carlsberg’s international brands delivering double digit growth in Revenue/HL to accelerate revenue and profitability targets.
• Defined governance structure and collaborative ways of working with Regional Presidents and local market CEOs to secure locally relevant pipelines and speed to market.
• Accelerated the value of the innovation pipeline in Western Europe, Asia and Eastern Europe.
• Created new distinctive brands and extensions for global and local brands to capture new profit pools including Garage Hard Lemonade, night life propositions such as Carlsberg Nox and Tuborg BoilerMaker, DraughtMaster one way keg system, innovation platforms for Somersby cider, growth platforms for local power brands and a revolutionary non alcoholic beverage portfolio.
• New innovation strategy and operating model endorsed by the Supervisory Board, leading to new vision to become the most innovative global brewer. From February 2012 to Present (3 years 10 months) Vice President Commercial - Central and Eastern Europe @ Spearheaded the commercial integration and transformation of the Central and Eastern European Region following Scottish & Newcastle acquisition. Embedded a strong culture of value creation in the marketing, innovation, sales and channel marketing functions. Responsible for the P&L and profitability improvement through a portfolio of distinctive high performing brands, revenue management, sales force executional excellence and strong performance management systems. Leading a team of 6000+ employees across all key commercial functions. Member of the Regional Leadership team, reported to the SVP Eastern Europe, a member of the Executive Committee.
• Championed the commercial acquisition integration, embedding a culture of value creation across marketing, innovation, sales and channel marketing resulting in target synergy overdelivery
• Developed a robust 3 year strategic growth plan across marketing, innovation, sales and category management functions resulting in record high share positions and EBIT margins across the Region.
• Redefined the brand portfolio priorities through robust segmentation and refocus on key growing profit pools to drive a premiumisation strategy.
• Upgraded new brand positioning, revolutionary pack design and visual identity with engaging digital and music strategy for the Tuborg global brand delivering +14% revenue growth and share gains across all markets
• Reduced spending and duplication by 65% by creating a portfolio of local power brand innovation growth platforms.
• Pioneered revenue management delivering strong NS/HL growth across the Region driven by mix improvement, smart pricing and trade terms management
• Improved sales force productivity driven by optimal outlet service level, perfect outlet performance standards and robust performance management systems.
• Redefined distributor management model moving from transaction collaboration to joint business plan development with pay for performance compensation model. From April 2008 to January 2012 (3 years 10 months) Copenhagen Area, DenmarkMarketing Director Russia and Central Asian Republics @ Championed marketing and brand leadership of 4 categories – coffee, chocolate, salted snacks and biscuits and 16 international and local brands across Russia, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. Created a high performing team following 2 successful acquisition integrations. Transformed the marketing agenda to focus on value through robust understanding of the industry profit pools, premiumisation of the portfolio and new business models to improve profitability. Built a culture of 'insights to action' identifying distinctive consumer and shopper insight to create meaningful category visions, distinctive brands, winning creative and strong marketing and connection plans to drive market share growth.
• Transformed the marketing agenda to focus on value through robust understanding of the industry profit pools, premium innovations and new business models to improve profitability resulting in exceptional EBIT growth 4x over 4 years and help establish Russia as a priority market for Kraft.
• Built a culture of 'insights to action' identifying distinctive consumer and shopper insights to create meaningful category visions, distinctive brands, winning creative and strong marketing and connection plans to drive market share growth.
• Led the turnaround and transformation of Alpen Gold chocolate brand. Pioneered extensive ethnographic research to create new brand positioning and transformational innovation pipeline resulting in exceptional market share gains and segment leadership.
• Redefined the company transformational coffee strategy and operating model resulting in exceptional margin growth, value and volume share leadership in premium segments.
• Executed strong chocolate and biscuits productivity programme improving margins by +200bp and +150bp respectively.
• Expanded the chocolate play field into new benefit areas/categories. Leveraged the combination of biscuit and chocolate to move aggressively into snacking. From January 2003 to March 2008 (5 years 3 months) Marketing Director @ Led the marketing and channel function for 3 categories – CSDs, Juice and Water across 3 markets Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan. Responsible for building a strong collaboration model with Bottler partners to jointly deliver strong commercial plans to drive market share growth. Focused on developing a portfolio of strong international brands with a strong activation plans, a robust product and packaging innovation pipeline to drive top line growth. Reported to the CEO of Russia, Ukraine and Kazakhstan
• Led the marketing and channel function for CSDs, Juice and Water categories.
• Developed crisis management plan to stabilise profitability during period of heavy devaluation and high inflation.
• Redefined brand and pack portfolio during the crisis to maintain consumer franchise and address affordability with new local mainstream brand launch and re-establishment of entry-level packaging strategy.
• Awarded Brand of the Year award for Coca-Cola for three consecutive years. From March 1998 to December 2002 (4 years 10 months) Moscow, Russian FederationCountry General Manager @ Responsible for P&L management, defining the market vision, strategy and commercial plans to deliver on business goals. Professionalised the relationship with main customers and distributor partners to deliver a strong value creating business model and route to market. Optimised brand portfolio to address key market profit pool opportunities to secure share growth. Negotiated with local authorities to reposition brands at the right excise point to strengthen overall profitability. From 1995 to 1998 (3 years) RomaniaBusiness Development Manager @ Responsible for identifying new business opportunities in Central and Eastern Europe and prioritising markets for entry. Focus on defining marketing entry strategies covering portfolio, route to market, partnership model and product supply strategy. Responsible for scenario planning, business case development and proposal sell in to the Board From 1992 to 1995 (3 years) London, United Kingdom
Leading for Results - Senior Leadership Program, Organizational Leadership @ London Business School From 2014 to 2015 BA Slavonic Studies, 2:1 @ University of Nottingham Julia Isdale is skilled in: Strategy, FMCG, Business Strategy, Marketing Strategy, Marketing Management, Brand Management, Trade Marketing, Product Innovation, Shopper Marketing, Customer Insight, Cross-functional Team Leadership, P&L Management, Innovation Management, Segmentation, Strategic Planning
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension