Sr. Director Business Development and Product Management @
Director of Product Management, Roku Powered @
Director of Product Management, Video Platform and Cloud @
MSEM, Business and Engineering Management @
Southern Methodist University
Executive engineering manager and senior business manager skilled at managing hardware teams and negotiating strategic IP related partnerships that shape and execute upon divisional strategies with a concentration in connected entertainment. One of the 8 founding members of Microsoft’s IPTV platform, Mediaroom. Mediaroom currently drives approximately 35M TV’s worldwide. Strong product background with P/L and operations responsibility.
Executive engineering manager and senior business manager skilled at managing hardware teams and negotiating strategic IP related partnerships that shape and execute upon divisional strategies with a concentration in connected entertainment. One of the 8 founding members of Microsoft’s IPTV platform, Mediaroom. Mediaroom currently drives approximately 35M TV’s worldwide. Strong product background with P/L and operations responsibility. Proven success with managing engineering, marketing, and business development teams necessary to bring product to market on time and on budget. Seasoned at defining, developing, and obtaining executive level buy-in regarding divisional level strategies that directly drive and impact the business. Regularly brief “C” level personnel regarding proposed investments and resource allocations. Proficient in analyzing partner development/deployment problems, developing and simplifying business procedures, and finding innovative engineering solutions for hardware design. Strong public presentation skills and media trained for on camera interviews. Hold 3 patents in the video space, 4 pending. Thrive on the challenges necessary to grow new lines of business.
Sr. Director Hardware and Silicon @ Manage the Mediaroom IPTV engineering hardware team responsible for defining and articulating the next generation hardware/product and business strategies to enable a multi-screen IPTV solutions. Partnering and working closely with ODM's, OEM’s and Telco’s worldwide. Defining and delivering on a 5 year roadmap and new technologies that will enable Ericsson's multi-screen strategy. From September 2013 to Present (2 years 4 months) Principal Group Program Manager, Interactive and Entertainment Business (IEB) @ Accountable for the Mediaroom IPTV engineering hardware team responsible for defining and articulating the next generation product and business strategies to enable a multi-screen solution by partnering and working closely with the electronics OEM’s and Telco’s worldwide. Defining and delivering on a 5 year roadmap and new technologies that will enable Microsoft’s multi-screen strategy. From August 2012 to September 2013 (1 year 2 months) Sr. Director Hardware Partner Ecosystem, Interactive and Entertainment Business (IEB) @ Responsibilities included defining, fostering, and implementing MicrosoftTV’s (Mediaroom) global strategic end-to-end ecosystem including product management of the ecosystem as a strategic MSTV advantage. Responsible for all partner contracts including license agreements, cooperation agreements, buyout positions, trial agreements, and maintenance agreements. Additionally, responsible for the divisional Set-Top Box (STB) strategy, silicon strategy, consumer electronics strategy, and new market partnering strategies.
• Negotiated all current global ecosystem partner contracts including driving IP related strategies
• Developed and implemented a framework for resource and investment partner opportunities that resulted in the creation of a new group within MSTV
• Working daily and leading negotiations with senior level (CEO, President, VP) partner executives necessary to execute on the current and future business strategies
• Created processes and programs to allow the partners to efficiently execute their business while alleviating the internal burden on the MSTV resources, e.g. System Integrator program, Interoperability Qualification Lab
• Responsible for the current Mediaroom silicon strategy that will carry MSTV forward into the 2014 timeframe, currently represents 30M TV’s; Defined global partner trends that will impact the business in this timeframe
• Represent MSTV in print and video media, analysts, investment, and industry panel/discussion opportunities
• Promoting build vs buy analysis for various parts of the current ecosystem that include outsourcing or technology buyout positions From September 2008 to August 2012 (4 years) Director Partner Ecosystem, Interactive and Entertainment Business (IEB) @ Responsible for developing strategic/worldwide partnerships within Microsoft TV. These include partners who are responsible for encoding, servers, storage, B/OSS, consumer electronics/OEMs, silicon, independent software, and systems integrators. Additional responsibilities included creating and building out the Ecosystem team and overall ecosystem strategy. The results are a world class IPTV ecosystem that is a competitive advantage for Microsoft. From September 2001 to August 2008 (7 years) Sr. Director Business Development and Product Management @ Responsible for formulating, driving, and executing ReplayTV’s strategic business relationships and marketing strategies with the MSO’s, STB manufacturers, and satellite providers. Accomplishments included negotiating license agreements, cooperation agreements, and trial deployments with AT&T Broadband, Comcast, Time Warner, and Motorola.
• Led all agreement negotiations with AT&T, Comcast, and Time Warner
• Developed cable financial model and Cable Privacy Act compliance strategy
• Responsible for strategic implementation of financial model and goals in excess of $15M
• Responsible for end-to-end hardware/software/services for AT&T and Comcast products
• Developed next generation retail product Marketing Requirements Document
• Responsible for monthly retail forecast and product positioning
• Developed next generation retail product plan
• Accountable for cross-functional MSO and satellite projects
• Developed next generation retail product cost model From March 2000 to September 2001 (1 year 7 months) Business Unit Manager, Satellite Access @ Responsible for the design, development, and marketing strategies for an innovative Ku/Ka steerable/mobile broadband family of DBS products and the associated market development.
• 20+ member technical team
• Developed quarterly revenue model
• Developed channel to market strategies/partners/pricing
• Accountable for day-to-day business unit decisions
• Negotiated teaming agreements with DirecTV, Hughes Network Systems, Delphi (GM), Rockwell Collins Air Transportation System, Raytheon Marine
• Responsible for the development of revenue generating relationships with DBS vendors and automotive partners
• Responsible for strategic product positioning From July 1998 to March 2000 (1 year 9 months) Design Engineer/Business Development Manager @ Held various positions of increasing responsibility starting with mechanical design lead on numerous projects, culminating as the manager of Texas Instruments’ Huntsville Alabama business development office and technical business development manager within the Washington D.C. business development office.
• 12 member team, cross divisional
• Responsible for annual field sales in excess of $25M
• Accountable for implementation of divisional strategic plans
• Regular executive level briefings addressing investment decisions
• Marketing and technical team coordination
• Realized fiscal forecast every year From June 1983 to July 1998 (15 years 2 months)
MSEM, Business and Engineering Management @ Southern Methodist UniversityBSME, Mechanical Engineering @ University of Missouri-Columbia Joe Seidel is skilled in: IPTV, VOD, Product Strategy, Product Management, Product Marketing, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Product Development, Contract Negotiations, Program Management, Product Planning, Business Strategy, Vendor Management, Marketing Strategy, Interactive TV, Account Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension