Drupal Software Development Manager (Digital News Platform) @ Associated Press
Mobile Application Development Manager @ Associated Press
Text Archive Development Manager @ Associated Press
No education info found.
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER known for successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously, delivering on time and meeting tight deadlines. Over a decade of total experience in software development. 5+ years as Team Lead/Manager conducting, leading and coordinating software development activities throughout the software development lifecycle; excel at managing the day to day activities of the development team within an
SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER known for successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously, delivering on time and meeting tight deadlines. Over a decade of total experience in software development. 5+ years as Team Lead/Manager conducting, leading and coordinating software development activities throughout the software development lifecycle; excel at managing the day to day activities of the development team within an Agile, SCRUM driven development environment. Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies across multiple environments.
• Managed multiple development projects in high tech environments.
• 20+ years of web and Internet service development experience.
• Hands on technologist with relevant coding and architecture skills.
• Expert in information systems technology, project planning, systems analysis and troubleshooting, quality control, forecasting and planning.
• Strong communication, presentation, analytical and problem solving skills.
• Languages: Veteran .NET software engineer (C#, Web services, Windows Services ), PHP, Python
• CMS: Drupal, PHP, Apache, SOLR
• Database: SQL, MySQL, MongoDB
• Cloud development: Google AppEngine, Azure, EC2
• Mobile: XCode, PhoneGap
• Fluent in Windows and Macintosh development environments.
• Well versed in LAMP Stack (MAMP,XAMP)
• IDE: Visual Studio, PHPStorm, IntelliJ
• Version Control: GIT, SVN, TFS
• Agile tools: JIRA Agile(Greenhopper), Basecamp, Trello
Drupal Software Development Manager (Digital News Platform) @ The Digital News Platform is a custom implementation of Drupal spread across six public facing websites (with more on the way). Dynamically generated content and taxonomies are created using existing Associated Press articles, photos and videos which are fed into a pipeline, categorized and stamped with appropriate metadata before being dropped into a cloud-based queue. A Groovy enhanced Java applet monitors the cloud and pulls down the content parsing the custom XML and placing it into MySQL tables simultaneously creating Drupal formatted content and taxonomy nodes. It is then indexed by SOLR which is the primary search engine and content retrieval indexer used to present content to client traffic on the sites. The sites themselves are cross platform and browser agnostic, with a heavy load of mobile traffic. Leveraging Responsive Design and custom themes, the sites offer visitors a unique experience for college football, college basketball, auto racing, summer games, NFL pro32 and our flagship site BigStory.ap.org.
My role is a mix of management and hands-on development.
Duties performed include:
• Coach, mentor and lead a team of Drupal developers.
• Use Agile methodology to drive iterative development cycles
• Manage virtual team members (offshore & offsite) working in a remote environment.
• Implement standards and best practices used by development team.
• Provide development estimates and resource requirements for projects.
• Troubleshoot issues that arise with applications, code, and distribution.
• Communicate complex technical terminology to business team.
• Communicate development/timeline progress to business stakeholders.
• Instituted a knowledge transfer and training program to quickly build up expertise in core staff.
• Experienced Drupal developer. Coded several revenue enhancing Drupal wrapper modules: a content recommendation engine, an article weighting/traffic analysis engine and custom RSS feeds.
Technology Stack: PHP, Drupal, MySQL, SOLR,Drush From November 2012 to Present (3 years 2 months) Mobile Application Development Manager @ Role: Manage the development of Associated Press branded mobile apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices.
Summary: Responsibilities include building and managing a geographically diverse team of developers consisting of internal resources and external contractors with a wide ranging set of skills and capabilities. Managing product delivery expectations of the business and product team in a manner that empowers them to meet the rapidly shifting demands of the mobile market. Establishing software development standards, best practices and project management methodologies and enforcing their compliance within the team and organization. Responding to mobile app development requests within the organization and managing software development efforts across multiple platforms. Driving application architecture for mobile backend services that extends and meshes with existing enterprise systems. Collaborating with business team to explore new revenue generating ideas, using a combination of analytics and business intelligence to drive feature sets and maximize investment.
In addition I perform the following:
• Coach/mentor team members
• Use Agile Development Methodology to drive product lifecycle
• Perform business requirement analysis
• Provide development estimates for project timelines and budgets
• Lead scrums
• Analyze and define software Implementation strategies and systems Architecture
• Discover, vet & hire third party developers with necessary skills to ensure quality of mobile apps.
• Occasionally serve double duty as project manager
• Utilize Greenhopper & Jira to track and scope out development work on various mobile projects.
Technology Stack: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Google App Engine (GAE), Google BigTable, Python, PHP, Drupal, MySQL, .Net
Tools: Jira, Greenhopper, Git, Subversion, Basecamp, ProjectLocker, XCode, PHPStorm, Eclipse
Download our flagship news app on your favorite mobile platforms at www.getapmobile.com! From January 2012 to Present (4 years) Text Archive Development Manager @ From May 2011 to December 2011 (8 months) Project Lead/Senior Software Engineer/Services Tier @ From May 2007 to May 2011 (4 years 1 month) Project Lead/Senior Engineer/Client Server Application Developer @ From March 2005 to May 2007 (2 years 3 months) Senior Software Engineer/Client Server Application Developer @ From November 2001 to April 2005 (3 years 6 months) Senior Developer @ From January 2000 to October 2001 (1 year 10 months) Senior Developer/Project Leader @ From January 1995 to January 2000 (5 years 1 month) Senior Developer @ From February 1992 to January 1995 (3 years) Aircraft Electrical Systems Technician @ From May 1988 to March 1992 (3 years 11 months)
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension