MBA, Finance & Marketing, Distinction @
University of Exeter
A passionate and inspirational Senior Sales & Marketing Professional with over 25 years international working knowledge of the FMCG & Consumer Goods sectors. Highly developed strategic and tactical marketing ability enables the creation of globally recognised brands through all advertising media; generating increased market share and continual profit growth. His outstanding knowledge of Category and Channel marketing
A passionate and inspirational Senior Sales & Marketing Professional with over 25 years international working knowledge of the FMCG & Consumer Goods sectors. Highly developed strategic and tactical marketing ability enables the creation of globally recognised brands through all advertising media; generating increased market share and continual profit growth. His outstanding knowledge of Category and Channel marketing programmes has generated loyal and dedicated customers across the world. A true leader with multi-cultural management experience, able to mentor and develop high performance marketing and sales teams.
Specialties: Strategic and Tactical Marketing
Developing Innovative Channel and Category Sales Strategies
Market Share Growth
Cost Reduction Initiatives
Business Analysis / Market Research
Team-Building and Coaching
Multicultural Team and Customer Experience
Interim Marketing & Business Development Director @ - Responsible for the Marketing, Product Development and Manufacturing departments including the overall profitability of our “Own” and “Exclusive” brands.
- Also responsible for the marketing of Pedigree Wholesale to the Specialist Retail Market. From May 2015 to Present (8 months) Nottingham, United KingdomInterim Director of Marketing Strategy @ • Responsible for the strategy and planning behind the UK launch of Canidae – one the of USA’s largest Premium Dog and Cat foods. Also tasked with improving overall marketing effectiveness and identifying opportunities for profitable growth. From January 2015 to April 2015 (4 months) Nottingham, United KingdomSales & Marketing Director @ • Responsible for all sales and marketing activities for James Wellbeloved – the number one premium dog and cat food in the UK.
• Increased sales of James Wellbeloved Dog Food by over 12% by re-launching the range with new, more modern packaging and developing a new communication strategy and campaign (press, digital and social) aimed at attracting more grocery shoppers to the brand.
• Developed and introduced a new sales and marketing strategy for the Internet Sales Channel, growing sales in excess of 22% in 2014.
• Restructured the regional sales force, the national accounts team and the marketing department to drive growth in excess of £3m in 2013 after three years of declining sales.
• Launched a new line of James Wellbeloved Cat Food in the Spring 2013, increasing sales by over 20%. From October 2012 to December 2014 (2 years 3 months) Head of Marketing - Titleist (EMEA) "the No.1 Brand in Golf" @ • Responsible for the management of the Titleist product portfolio, identifying opportunities and increasing market growth and brand identity across the EMEA.
• Reviewed Titleist’s EMEA marketing resources and restructured team to achieve greater emphasis on marketing efforts in the key markets, grew Titleist’s golf club market share by 8%.
• Introduced a Club Fitting Network, Partnership Programs and advertising campaigns (television, press, digital and social) across the EMEA markets as part of the launch of the 910 series, this increased the market share of Metal Woods from 7.9% to 16.8%.
• Strengthened brand loyalty by creating Team Titleist, an interactive digital community for fans in the UK, Germany, France and Sweden. This forum provides a platform for Tour players, such as Rory McIlroy and Lee Westwood to highlight the features and benefits of products and provide tips for golfers to improve their game. From December 2010 to September 2012 (1 year 10 months) United KingdomMarketing & Management Consultant @ • Founded IFR Consulting and rapidly generated a pipeline of high profile clients including a top 20 Marketing/Packaging Design Agency and an independent research company.
• Drove marketing and growth strategies for advertising, PR and promotional businesses and actively assisted management in the development of high performance teams.
• Developed strategies to penetrate new and existing sectors by implementing product/service positioning and development
• As Management Consultant, provided analysis on institutional investors and professional asset managers in the hedge fund, mutual fund and private equity arenas. From June 2009 to November 2010 (1 year 6 months) United KingdomGlobal Category Director, Global Brands Director & Managing Director @ • 2009 Global Category Director Make Your Own (MYO): developed new category propositions worldwide, analysed tax regimes, regional & local legal restrictions, route to market & pricing
• Introduced new category & channel strategies in a declining strictly regulated market with competitors using highly aggressive pricing, achieved sales over £239m
• Generated new business, launched portfolio of products, increased category sales by 92%, from 580m to 7.3b sticks within 3yrs securing Imperial’s position as World’s No 1, MYO Category
• 2006 Global Brands Director: analysed consumer behaviour & competitive analysis, developed brand strategies R&D programmes, reduced SKUs & increased category sales by 14.3 % to over £720m
• Launched Golden Virginia's global advertising campaign, increased Western Europe’s market share, establishing it as World’s Biggest Selling Roll Your Own Tobacco
• Gained Board approval for global repositioning of Drum tobacco across 56 countries
• 2004 Business Development Director: completed valuations on regional & local companies, delivered presentations to investment banks, restructured business saving over £3m yearly
• 2003 Managing Director Own Label Division: successfully merged Park Lane & Imperial’s operations after acquisition by Imperial. Led Park Lane staff facing redundancy without losing customers, grew its market share by almost 20%
• Negotiated new supply agreements with accounts such as Sainsbury's & ASDA
• 2002 Strategic Marketing Manager: instigated marketing activities to manage key brands such as Embassy. Introduced new pricing, modern packaging & advertising campaigns for brands such as Superkings. Managed Marlboro’s marketing activities (annual budget £20m)
• 2000 Marketing Director Rizla: grew sales by 8% & profit 5% to £32m, developed an award winning campaign, introduced new packaging & collateral across 12 markets, undertook product developments globally Won key accounts such as Tesco & Co-op, increased market share by 7% From 1998 to 2009 (11 years) United KingdomMarketing Manager @ From March 1996 to August 1998 (2 years 6 months) Strategic Planning Manager @ From May 1994 to March 1996 (1 year 11 months) United KingdomMarketing Manager @ From August 1992 to April 1994 (1 year 9 months) United KingdomAssistant General Manager @ From August 1989 to May 1992 (2 years 10 months) CanadaSales Manager @ From May 1987 to August 1989 (2 years 4 months) Canada
MBA & MARS Leadership Program From 2012 to 2014 MBA, Finance & Marketing, Distinction @ University of Exeter From 1992 to 1994 Diploma, International Business Management, Distinction @ Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology From 1986 to 1987 BA Honours, History & Political Studies @ Trent University (Ontario, Canada) From 1983 to 1986 Ian Forbes-Russell is skilled in: Marketing Strategy, Market Share Growth, Market Share Analysis, Pricing Strategies, Advertising Campaigns, Portfolio Management, Brand Management, Competitive Analysis, New Business Development, Change Management, Growth Strategies, Channel Management, Negotiation, P&L Management, Team Building
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension