I am a Ph.D. trained scientist and a PMP-certified drug development leader with over 20 years of experience in government and biopharmaceutical settings. My professional experience includes leadership and management positions for various drug development projects from upstream target identification/selection through global Phase III/IV clinical development programs and lifecycle management, in some cases including strong Alliance Management
I am a Ph.D. trained scientist and a PMP-certified drug development leader with over 20 years of experience in government and biopharmaceutical settings. My professional experience includes leadership and management positions for various drug development projects from upstream target identification/selection through global Phase III/IV clinical development programs and lifecycle management, in some cases including strong Alliance Management components. Specific experience has been in Oncology (10y), Diabetes & Obesity (6y) and Hemostasis/Thrombosis (3y), Retroviral (6y). In addition to my experience in drug development, I have worked on device development, capital improvement and process improvement projects. I attribute my success to strong problem-solving/leadership skills, expertise in drug development, ability to understand the therapeutic approach at the molecular level, a drive for results and knowing how to use tools as a means to an end rather than ends in of themselves
Please see CV attached to profile for more complete description.
Project Director (recombinant coagulation portfolio) @ 1) As leader of the entire recombinant coagulation portfolio, guide leaders of Core Project Teams (CPT) to insure the successful delivery of global, cross-functional projects of strategic importance to CSL’s product portfolio. in all phases of development. As needed, lead individual teams
2) Represent the portfolio and individual CPTs at the Project Governance Committees (PRC) and senior management advisory committee (PSG)
3) Develop Project Managers/Leaders both formally and informally with respect to drug development in terms of both technical and leadership skills
4) Lead preparation of large capital improvement request to address upgrades needed in the recombinant purification facility
5) Oversaw the largest historical and first recombinant filings for the company. Toward this end, developed CTD planning and tracking tools to aid the PM in planning and managing ongoing dossier prep as well as facilitating communication with senior management on progress and ongoing issues; monitor the ongoing use and communication with senior management (PRC and PSG). This led to the successful BLA filing of rIX-FP in December 2014 and rVIII-SingleChain in early 2015 From February 2013 to Present (2 years 9 months) King of Prussia, PADirector, Global Project Management & Leadership (Oncology) @ 1) Act as Lead for Project Core Team to develop and execute Product Development Plan defining target product profile, budget and timing. Guide Core Team through strategic and tactical considerations for assigned drug development projects. Solicits expert input from drug development functions and integrates input into a consolidated development plan. Coordinate generation/update of Target Product Profile, Clinical Development Plan, Product Development Plan as needed
2) Acts as advocate for the drug development projects throughout the organization.
3) Present Core Team Proposals to Senior Management and outside regulatory agencies as part of the decision-making process From March 2009 to February 2013 (4 years) Associate Project Director and Therapeutic Area lead for D&O, Project Management @ 1) TA Lead for Diabetes and Obesity 10/01/08-2/18/09
a. Oversaw all D&O late-stage projects; 25 NCEs, 15 unique targets.
b. Worked directly with TA lead in marketing and Clinical to develop strategy for the portfolio
c. Lead PM for Januvia, Janumet
d. Developed registration plan for both Janumet XRTM and JuvisyncTM with team leader, taking into consideration science, business needs of the organization, as well as IP considerations for these fixed-dose combo; both products now approved
2) Associate Director 09/01/06-10/01/08
a. Lead PM for JanuviaTM, JanumetTM and all related sitagliptin products; lead strategic decision-making and development of clinical development strategy, communications with senior management, resource estimates for clinical plans, filing strategy, post-registration life-cycle management, etc.
3) Project Manager 12/18/02-8/30/06
a. Acted as lead PM for taranabant program (preclinical to PhIII)
b. Acted as lead PM for various early-stage D&O programs
c. Participated in due diligence efforts for licensing candidates in various stages of clinical development in unique therapeutic areas.
d. Managed and mentored junior PM's From December 2002 to February 2009 (6 years 3 months) Senior Research Scientist @ 1) Preclinical Project Manager for the gene-to-screen pipeline as part of the alliance with Millennium Pharma
a. Lead committee to evaluate 100’s of potential genomic targets per year based on drugability, doability and portfolio fit.
b. Oversaw execution of approximately 100 projects per year by approximate 20 scientists; projects began with committee approval and ended with delivery of characterized target (enzyme, receptor, etc) and preliminary assay to high throughput screening group.
2) Lead discovery efforts within my group
a. Developed a novel technique for identifying/mapping phosphorylation site(s) in large proteins
b. Proposed and lead research effort to identify rodent proteins responsible for DIO-resistant phenotype (i.e. rodents that did not become obese in response to high-fat diet)
c. Proposed and worked up drug targets for metabolic disease
3) Guided development of direct reports From January 2000 to December 2002 (3 years) Research Scientist @ 1) Lead multidisciplinary research efforts in the interest of drug discovery.
a. Evaluated the HERV-K protease as a potential model/mechanism for HIV-1 protease drug resistance
b. Established and executed high-throughput screens of the NCI natural compound library for various drug targets such as HIV-1 integrase and Creatine Kinase B.
2) Participated in multidisciplinary research efforts in the interest of drug discovery
a. Identified and patented the cellular compound required for in vitro HIV-1 capsid assembly
3) Guided development of my direct reports From January 1997 to January 2000 (3 years 1 month) Post-doctoral Scientist @ 1) Lead multidisciplinary research efforts to investigate structure-activity relations of HIV-1 protease inhibitors and the molecular basis for drug resistance. Research also focused on the role of the Human Endogenous retrovirus type K.
2) Developed a novel E. coli expression/screening system From August 1993 to January 1997 (3 years 6 months) Graduate Student @ 1) Worked on a nucleotide-dependent topoisomerase activity from yeast mitochondria From 1988 to 1993 (5 years)
Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology @ Saint Louis University From 1988 to 1993 B.S/B.A, Chemistry/Spanish (math minor) @ Washburn University From 1983 to 1988 n/a, General Studies-part of study abroad program @ Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra From 1986 to 1987 Eric Towler is skilled in: Project Management, Medical Device R&D, Drug Development, Global Drug Development, Pharmaceutical Industry, Regulatory Submissions, Cross-functional Team..., Clinical Development, Biopharmaceuticals, Drug Discovery, Global Alliance..., CRO, Clinical Trials, Oncology, Diabetes, Biotechnology, Therapeutic Areas, Life Sciences, Assay Development, Portfolio Management, FDA, Regulatory Affairs, Infectious Diseases, Protein Chemistry, CTMS, Immunology, Technology Transfer, Molecular Biology, Leading Change, Pharmaceutics, Clinical Data Management, Personnel Supervision, Validation, GMP, Pharmacology, Pharmacovigilance, SOP, Biochemistry, Research, Biomarkers, R&D, In Vitro, Medical Writing, ICH-GCP, EDC, Clinical Research, Protocol, Clinical Monitoring, Lifesciences