I have been immersed in food culture for my entire life and was first introduced to the wine side of the industry by my father whom was an avid wine drinker and collector. Food and wine are two of my greatest passions and though I work in the industry, I spend the majority of my off days
I have been immersed in food culture for my entire life and was first introduced to the wine side of the industry by my father whom was an avid wine drinker and collector. Food and wine are two of my greatest passions and though I work in the industry, I spend the majority of my off days perusing various markets and incorporating my findings into dishes at home or I get out and explore new and familiar restaurants and lounges in and around the Bay Area.
My experience working at free standing and hotel restaurants, union and non-union has cultivated a very diverse base of knowledge when it comes to my management style. I love the freedom and spontaneity of free standing restaurants and at the same time, the uniformity and organization of hotels and restaurant groups add a level of standardization and consistency that all of us in management can benefit from. If I am a part of your team, you will benefit from my style as I see myself as a hybrid of freestanding and corporate restaurant programs.
Restaurant General Manager @ - Oversees daily operations at the Michelin starred Restaurant and adjacent Bistro of a Forbes Five Star Relais et Chateau resort.
- In charge of hiring, training, managing and disciplining Restaurant and Bistro staff.
- Manages a staff of over 50 employees.
- Leads a team that includes a Bar Manager and three assistant f&b managers with the goal of coaching and mentoring them to the next stage in their careers.
- Analyzes daily revenue and monthly/yearly P&L reports with the intention of exceeding historic and current budgeted numbers.
- Continuously provides guidance and feedback to all staff to ensure they have to tools to go above and beyond Auberge Resorts' standards of service.
- In charge of conducting inventory and ordering of all non-beverage related operational supplies.
- Assists in the planning and execution of numerous Auberge Resorts related events.
- Volunteers at a number of “Planet Auberge” meetings and events. From March 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) Food and Beverage Manager @ • Oversees daily operations of Michael Mina’s Arcadia restaurant, Tanq Bar, and room service.
• Manages beverage program that includes a worldly but California focused wine list of over 230 wines.
• Manages and schedules a Union staff of over 40 associates.
• Closely involved with budget forecasting and P&L analysis.
• Manages overall beverage and labor costs.
• Conducts monthly beverage inventory.
• Reviews all beverage lists to ensure that they meet company specifications/requirements.
• Conducts monthly spot checks in the restaurant and room service to ensure we are "Brand Compliant" and will receive high scores when our annual "Brand Standard Audit" is conducted.
• Interviews, hires, and trains staff using Mina Group and Marriott training standards.
• Has helped the team increase Yelp satisfaction to over 4 stars and an average Opentable rating of 4.2 stars.
• Reviews guest satisfaction surveys and creates action plans on how to maintain and further improve our already stellar scores. From June 2013 to February 2014 (9 months) Food and Beverage Manager @ • Oversaw daily operations in the restaurant and room service.
• Managed and scheduled a Union staff of over 40 associates.
• Closely involved with budget forecasting and P&L analysis.
• Managed all banquet bars.
• Managed overall beverage and labor costs.
• Conducted monthly beverage inventory.
• Reviewed all beverage lists to ensure that they meet company specifications/requirements.
• Conducted monthly spot checks in the restaurant and room service to ensure we were "Brand Compliant" and would receive high scores when our annual "Brand Standard Audit" was conducted.
• Reviewed guest satisfaction surveys and created action plans on how to maintain and further improve already stellar scores. From March 2012 to June 2013 (1 year 4 months) San Francisco, CaliforniaBeverage Director/Director of Operations @ Started with the company as Sasa's Beverage Director. As the company began to grow, I proposed the need for a Director of Operations. I was immediately promoted and began planning on opening our next outlet. I, along with an Executive Chef, and an Operations manager were in charge of coordinating the opening of 150 seat restaurant in Danville, Ca.
Director of Operations 2011-2012
• Promoted to Director of Operations when planning for Roti 8 began.
• Organized and directed the opening of front of house operations.
• Ordered all front of house flatware, small wares, glassware, beverage product, and beer and wine on tap systems.
• Negotiated contracts with alcohol, textile, OpenTable, POS, internet, TV, and cleaning companies.
• Worked with the Chef de Cuisine on formatting menus and training guides.
• Responsible for interviewing, hiring, training, disciplining, and terminating employees.
• Opened Roti8 Rotisserie and Bar in November 2011.
Sasa Izakaya Restaurant
Beverage director 2009-2011
• Acting General Manager for three months before being promoted to Director of Operations.
• Ordered all bar product. Wine, spirits, beer, sake, small wares, and all other bar related materials.
• Forecasted and managed bar product cost and labor costs.
• In charge of a $17-20K beverage inventory. And kept all costs under budget during my tenure.
• Hired and managed bar staff.
• Added and removed wine from a constantly evolving globally influenced wine list.
• Created restaurant concept inspired cocktails.
• Scheduled tastings and met with suppliers.
• Coordinated wine and spirits staff training. From February 2010 to March 2012 (2 years 2 months) Beverage Director @ I was recruited by an employee at Esin Restaurant. A few months later, I was promoted to Beverage Director. I was in charge of ordering all beverage product, tasting potential items(wine, spirits, beer), and managing all costs related to our beverage program.
• In charge of all beverage related inventory. And kept all costs under budget during my tenure.
• Ordered all product pertaining to wine and spirits.
• Scheduled tastings with suppliers.
• Organized wine, cocktail, and dessert spirits lists.
• Handled staff training in wine and spirits department. From September 2008 to February 2010 (1 year 6 months) Manager, trainer, assistant bar manager, banquet server, server. @ I was hired as a server and promoted to shift manager within six months. In addition to serving and managing, I was the assistant bar manager, lead banquet server, and lead trainer.
• Lead server and trainer.
• Promoted to server trainer and shift manager at age of 20, five months after being hired.
• Bar manager
• BQT server.
• Managed at both Yountville and Danville locations.
• Represented Piatti at numerous wine and spirits industry functions and tastings.
• Off-site catering assistant. From May 2002 to October 2008 (6 years 6 months)
BA, Radio and Television Communications @ San Francisco State University From 2005 to 2008 BA – BECA, Broadcasting Electronic Communication Arts @ San Francisco State University From 2000 to 2008 Eric Matsui is skilled in: Food & Beverage, Customer Service, Restaurants, P&L Analysis, Proposal Writing, Technical Writing, Cost Management, P&L Responsibility, News Writing, Hotel Management, Restaurant Management, Menu Development, Creative Writing, Hospitality Industry, Food Service
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension