Bachelors, Computer Science @
Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University
Software Engineer, Security professional, Malware analyst/reverse-engineer. As a software engineer I design and develop anti-virus (or anti-malware) technologies with an inclination to enhance existing techniques as well as develop tools to automate malware collection, management, analysis and detection. As a security professional I strive to stay up-to-date with the latest computer security threats and emerging malware trends.
Software Engineer, Security professional, Malware analyst/reverse-engineer. As a software engineer I design and develop anti-virus (or anti-malware) technologies with an inclination to enhance existing techniques as well as develop tools to automate malware collection, management, analysis and detection. As a security professional I strive to stay up-to-date with the latest computer security threats and emerging malware trends. As a malware analyst and reverse-engineer I get down to the nitty-gritty details with debugging/disassembling tools to unravel the guts of todays malware to exactly understand how todays malicious authors are tailoring their attacks and system modifications in order to exploit computer users.
Sr. Security Researcher @ Counter Threat Unit - Threat Intelligence
- Research, apply, and deliver intelligence about active and emerging information security threats. Identify and lead performance of proactive all-source research to identify and characterize new threats, vulnerabilities, and risks to customer security context.
- Provide direct assistance to customers and leverage their experience and operational learning to build innovative solutions to complex incident response and security issues.
- Proactive research into emerging threats, generation of defensive countermeasures, and consultation with customers, internal stakeholders, and the broader security community.
- Use threat research to develop actionable intelligence to drive customer protection to include producing analysis to inform countermeasure development.
- Produce actionable intelligence information for delivery to customers in the form of help-desk ticket responses, technical reports, briefings, and data feeds.
- Provide expert advice to security researchers and customers on security strategy, policies, and procedures.
- Perform in-depth malware analysis and reverse engineering. From February 2013 to Present (2 years 11 months) Lead Anti-malware Researcher @ - Analyze, replicate, and reverse engineer malware.
- Lead Anti-malware research and technologies development.
- Introduce and build processes, tools, etc. for automation.
- Streamline malware samples triage (collection, exchange, analysis).
- Plan and direct future anti-malware product strategies.
- Write blog articles and white papers related to evolving threat landscape and product enhancements. From June 2011 to December 2012 (1 year 7 months) Sr. Anti-Malware Researcher @ - Analyze, replicate, and reverse engineer malware.
- Develop and improve advanced detection technologies such as heuristic based and behavior based (generic) detections. Implement packer detection and un-packing routines. From September 2009 to June 2011 (1 year 10 months) Software Engineer/Anti-Malware Research @ - Analyze, replicate, and reverse engineer malware.
- Automate processes for malware collection, maintenance, replication, false-positive/false-negative testing, and bulk processing. Involves documenting such procedures and training newer team members. With implementing the automated malware processing system has significantly reduced our backlog and kept it manageable.
- Design and develop scan-engine Software Development Kit. Involves coordinating with project team members and meeting project deadlines.
- Design and develop Graphical User Interface and ODBC application for database logging of activities for anti-malware product. Implement advanced memory scanning with disinfection, scanning of Master Boot Record (MBR) and Boot Sector for malware on 32-bit & 64-bit Windows Operating System. From June 2005 to August 2009 (4 years 3 months) Research Assistant @ - Static and dynamic analysis of malicious code.
- Detect obfuscations in metamorphic viruses – Masters Thesis.
- Built a prototype tool called DOC (Detector for Obfuscated Calls) to statically analyze disassembled malicious binaries for obfuscations.
- Published a paper on this topic and applied to patent technique. From August 2002 to May 2005 (2 years 10 months)
Masters, Computer Science @ University of Louisiana at Lafayette From 2002 to 2004 Bachelors, Computer Science @ Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University From 1997 to 2001 Eric Kumar is skilled in: x86 Assembly, Malware Analysis, Reverse Engineering, Computer Security, Antivirus, Debugging, Network Security, IDA, C, C++, Automation, Perl, OllyDbg, Scripting, Python