Digital Marketing Consultant | Startup Advisor & Board Director @ Good Karma Marketing
Executive Leadership @
Harvard Business School
Executive leader with 25+ years of proven marketing strategy and go-to-market execution skills honed in Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), marketing automation, mobile apps, security and on-premise B2B and B2C hardware/software technology solutions for large public corporations and small/medium private companies. I successfully lead high-tech businesses to greater shareholder value with the ability to create, communicate and execute a corporate
Executive leader with 25+ years of proven marketing strategy and go-to-market execution skills honed in Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), marketing automation, mobile apps, security and on-premise B2B and B2C hardware/software technology solutions for large public corporations and small/medium private companies. I successfully lead high-tech businesses to greater shareholder value with the ability to create, communicate and execute a corporate vision, product strategy and marketing plan which empowers sales teams and engages the attention of prospects, press, analysts, employees and customers.
Along with my education from Purdue and Harvard, I have a PhD in Marketing from the School of Hard Knocks! As an EVP of global marketing for large public companies such as Compaq, Tandem and Citrix, and CMO of numerous VC-funded tech companies such as DocuSign, TappIn and Optify, I have a unique set of experiences and possess two decades of practical insights in executive leadership, business development and the ever-changing art and science of all things marketing.
As an archetype of today’s tech-savvy CMO, I enjoy being the marketing leader in growth oriented technology companies for which performance, leadership, enthusiasm, creativity and technical knowledge are required for success. My teams dramatically raise brand awareness, optimally position, package, and price products and build demand generation engines that sales teams love. My marketing methods have been published in industry blogs and publications and I’m frequently requested as a speaker on marketing for seminars and webcasts.
Expertise: SaaS, video apps, mobile apps, security software, computer hardware & software, network software & appliances, product marketing, positioning, packaging & pricing, brand messaging, PR/AR, social media. Inbound & Direct: display ads, retargeting, app stores, freemium, SEO, PPC, content marketing, email, events, sponsorships & telemarketing, channel marketing. Building Teams!
Vice President, Marketing | RealTimes @ Responsibility for the launch and global domination of RealTimes™! RealTimes is the fastest and easiest way to get the most out of all of your personal photos and videos. It finds the best photos and videos you've taken and automagically turns them into RealTimes Stories™ that can be easily saved and shared. RealTimes solves one of the biggest problems consumers face today: too many photos and videos, and not enough time to organize and share them. RealTimes automatically picks the best moments from a consumer's photo and video camera roll - that big soccer goal or baby's first birthday - and automatically and instantly creates an engaging RealTimes Story. It's also easy and fast to customize RealTimes Stories by rearranging clips and photos, changing the duration, and adding filters and personal soundtracks. RealTimes Stories are fun to watch and can easily be shared - recipients don't even need the app to view the Stories.
RealTimes is great for everyone who uses a smartphone to take pictures, which is to say anyone with a smartphone. But it's especially valuable for parents, for two reasons: (1) parents take tons of photos and videos of their kids, and (2) because parents are super busy, they don't have the time to cull through their massive camera rolls to enjoy their photos/videos again or the time to pick the best ones to share with friends and family - they need a solution that creates great results automatically.
The RealTimes app is available as a free download on nine different devices including: Android™ phones and tablets, iPhone™, iPad®, Windows® PCs, Roku® TV players, and Chromecast™. It will soon be available on Mac®, Amazon Fire Phone, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Kindle Fire, and Xbox One™.
TRY IT! From March 2014 to Present (1 year 8 months) Greater Seattle AreaMarketing Conductor | Executive Leader | Consultant @ Senior executive leader with 25+ years of proven marketing strategy and go-to-market execution skills honed in Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), mobile apps and on-premise B2B and B2C hardware/software technology solutions for large public corporations, private companies and venture-funded SMBs.
I successfully lead high-tech marketing teams to generate greater shareholder value with my ability to conceptualize, communicate and execute a corporate vision, product strategy and go-to-market plan which empowers sales and marketing teams while engaging the attention of prospects, press, analysts, employees and customers.
Market Expertise: SaaS, Mobile Apps, Computer Hardware & Software, Network Software, Security & Appliances.
Marketing Expertise: product marketing, positioning, packaging & pricing, brand messaging, PR/AR, social media. Inbound & Direct: display ads, retargeting, app stores, freemium, SEO, PPC, content marketing, email, events, sponsorships & telemarketing, channel marketing.
Building great teams! From November 2013 to Present (2 years) Greater Seattle AreaChief Marketing Officer (CMO) @ Acquired in October, 2013. Venture-based (Madrona, Triagle Peak and Upstage Ventures) company - Optify was a SaaS early-stage company that delivers digital marketing, inbound marketing, marketing automation, lead intelligence and reporting software for digital marketing agencies and B2B marketers in SMB. Optify successfully won market share against other marketing automation vendors including Hubspot, Marketo, Act-On, and Infusionsoft.
The Optify solution included integrated search engine optimization (SEO), email marketing, landing pages, lead intelligence and nurturing, marketing automation, social media marketing and contact management for every website or Content Management System (CMS). In addition, large clients and advanced implementations utilized the Optify API for delivering custom reporting and integration with CRM systems including Salesforce.com.
As Chief Marketing Officer of Optify, I had responsibility for all things marketing. We garnered numerous industry and product awards, evolved the target market, built a great team and created a focused demand generation machine that scaled revenue over 520% and increased market share on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis. Our growth in eACV, CAC ratio and customer product utilization measures are commensurate with SaaS industry leaders and a compelling testament to our sales, development and marketing expertise.
Working with the team at Optify gave me the opportunity to apply 25+ years of marketing experience to our product, positioning, packaging and pricing - a great company with outstanding people, product, partners and customers! From September 2012 to October 2013 (1 year 2 months) Greater Seattle AreaChief Marketing Officer @ Acquired in 2012. TappIn was a startup SaaS company in the Mobile Remote Access and File Sharing in both B2C and B2B businesses. Located in Seattle, Washington, the TappIn team of technology veterans have deep expertise in building and promoting sophisticated security, networking and mobile products that are simple and don’t interfere with how people use their computers and mobile devices.
Whether you are at home, at the office or on the road, “Tapp In” to all of your digital files and media stored on a computer using a web-browser, tablet or mobile smartphone (including Apple® iPhone® and iPad®, Google® Android™ and Windows® Phone 7) – without having to upload, organize and sync files between devices, pay for additional cloud storage or make your friends and colleagues join a service they don’t want.
As Chief Marketing Officer for TappIn, I grew the user base to over 100,000 subscribers in less than a year - competing against against industry gorillas such as Dropbox, Box.com and Logmein. We won multiple industry technology awards and our use of the freemium model to attract both consumers and business users was highlighted by numerous press and analysts.
The TappIn team and product created a technology partnership and successful exit for investors when we were acquired by Globalscape (NYSE: GSB) for $17M in December, 2011. From January 2011 to September 2012 (1 year 9 months) Greater Seattle AreaExecutive Vice President, Worldwide Marketing @ DocuSign is the global leader in electronic signature. I joined the team in 2008 when we had 1 marketing person, 4 direct sales and 3 telesales team members. As the executive vice president of marketing for the leader and fastest growing SaaS electronic signature company, I led the product marketing, demand generation, brand, communications, social media, partner/channel marketing programs and website teams. During this time, DocuSign experienced a meteoric rise and market share growth over established competitors including EchoSign and Silanis. In 2.75 years we:
* Created marketing strategy and company positioning plan to help raise over $24M with venture capital investors including Ignition Partners, Sigma Partners, Frazier Capital, 2nd Century Ventures and salesforce.com.
* Established over 70%+ market share for DocuSign.
* Delivered demand generation programs (including SEO/SEM, events, webinars and direct email campaigns) for Enterprise direct sales, SMB inside sales and web-based purchasers. Drove 200% annual revenue growth in 2008, 2009 and 2010.
* Rebranded and re-launched entire company product line including positioning, packaging, and pricing.
* Established thought leadership and awareness through first and industry leading social media program.
* Delivered website that consistently grew revenues from under $500k in 2008 to over $5M in 2010
* Garnered mulitple awards, print and analysts identifying and measuring DocuSign as the leading electronic signature SaaS company
* Delivered Act of Congress in 45 days – National ESIGN Day, June 30 From June 2008 to January 2011 (2 years 8 months) Greater Seattle AreaExecutive Vice President, Global Marketing (EVP, SVP) @ Venture-backed early stage SaaS company delivering multifactor authentication solutions for secure access to enterprise networks and revenue optimization for web-based application subscription services/portals.
As the EVP, Global Marketing my responsibilities and accomplishments included:
• Created and presented marketing, SaaS product strategy and company positioning plan to help raise over $25M with venture capital investors including Ignition Partners, OVP, RRE Ventures and Citrix.
• Drove significant revenue growth through successful SEO/SEM, demand generation, channel marketing and marketing communications programs.
• Rebranded and re-launched entire company, product line including positioning, packaging, pricing and design.
• Garnered awards, print and analysts identifying BioPassword as a leading authentication software provider (e.g. TIME magazine) From October 2005 to May 2008 (2 years 8 months) Greater Seattle AreaChief Marketing Officer (CMO) @ Venture-backed early stage appliance/software company delivering network security and access control for protecting wired and wireless networks to enterprise customers.
As the Chief Marketing Officer for Lockdown Networks, select responsibilities and accomplishments included:
• Created and presented marketing, product strategy and company positioning plans to help raise over $5M with venture capital investors including Integral Capital Partners and Ignition Partners.
• Drove significant first year revenue growth ($50K to $1.5M) through successful demand generation.
• Created key partnerships with industry analysts including Gartner Group, Forrester, Yankee Group, IDC, ESG and others.
• Revamped and re-launched entire product line including names, packaging, pricing and design.
• Established CRM system and generated $500K revenues as interim VP Sales. From March 2004 to July 2005 (1 year 5 months) Greater Seattle AreaPresident and CEO (Co-Founder) @ Venture-backed start-up company in the healthcare emergency medicine informatics/technology market. The company offers a low cost touch-screen based computer system for patient documentation services delivered to hospital emergency departments nationwide. Created key partnerships with industry leaders in the healthcare market including IBM, HCA hospitals, EmCare Management, and IMS Health for data analytics. From the first day of incorporation, led all aspects of the business for ScriptRx including sales, business development, product development, finance and customer service. Beginning with a team of eight people, the company has grown to offer one of the premier products in healthcare informatics. Within the first eleven months, the company achieved revenues of $850K growing to $1.6M in the second year. The company achieved $4.6M in the year three.
Select responsibilities and accomplishments included:
• Created and presented business plan, private placement memorandum, presentations and raised $5.5M with angel investors and venture capital investments including Deutsche Bank Private Equity and Crossbow Ventures
• Drove product development creating one of the premier products being used in automating patient documentation services and offering unique real-time data surveillance to the pharmaceutical industry
• Drove 250%+ growth in revenue and achieved “EBITDA breakeven” in the first 25 months of business
• Negotiated financial agreements to support additional company financing through debt, convertible debt and equity with partners IBM, Silicon Valley Bank, and First Union Bank.
• Created national field sales, marketing and support force within four months that sold and installed 185 hospital locations within the first 25 months of business. From October 2000 to December 2003 (3 years 3 months) West Palm Beach, Florida AreaSenior Vice President, Corporate Marketing (SVP/EVP) @ Public company with $500M in revenue. Primary supplier of corporate application and information infrastructure software and services that enables enterprise-wide deployment and management of applications and information, including those designed for Microsoft Windows operating systems, UNIX operating systems and for Web-based information systems. Lead Citrix worldwide marketing strategy and implementation. Primary responsibilities included web strategy/site, marketing communications, events, advertising, press/analyst relations, product marketing, and demand generation programs. Key presenter for executive sales presentations, investor relations and channel conferences. Select responsibilities and accomplishments:
• Delivered global brand strategy and multi-level advertising, event, web, and sponsorship campaign resulting in greatly increased awareness and sales
• Led the most successful channel conference in Citrix history (i.e. iForum 99) with over 1600 channel attendees
• Launched Citrix first Unix product, Windows 2000 product, and Services acquisitions to great reviews
• Delivered all major announcements for Citrix including products, investor relations, and corporate communications resulting in broad coverage on most major business cable, national, international television and radio programming as well as major newspaper and magazine issues.
• Developed and delivered the web strategy, a new external global web site/program, and the first ever intranet for Citrix.
• Delivered highly successful and motivational sales events including the sales kickoff meetings and the Citrix President’s Club. From August 1999 to September 2000 (1 year 2 months) Miami/Fort Lauderdale AreaVP, WW Marketing Communications and Corporate Marketing @ Compaq Computer Corporation grew to revenues of $40B as a global provider of computer products, solutions and services. The Company's offerings spanned information technology (IT) infrastructure, personal computing and access devices, global services and printing. Responsible for the overall communications and brand strategy as well as participating as a key member of the marketing management team. Primary responsibilities included press/analyst relations, collateral materials, events, sponsorships, major announcements, crisis communications and the internet site (i.e. compaq.com). Select accomplishments:
• Established worldwide Corporate Marketing and Communications team delivering $400M global brand and communications campaign.
• Led marketing communications, launch, and marketing integration of the $2.4B of Tandem and $9.6B acquisition of Digital.
• Established WW online collateral system for creating, ordering, printing, and tracking collateral materials by combining the Compaq, Digital and Tandem systems saving the combined companies $26M in global printing costs.
• Developed integrated worldwide website program which integrated all Tandem, Digital and Compaq web sites/programs saving the company $18M in hardware, development and communications costs.
• Established and delivered the first WW sales meeting and executive forum for the combined companies
• Led the successful INNOVATE FORUM with 6000+ customer attendees
• Established global sponsorship strategy, purchased and delivered 4 year $5M Compaq Classic of New Orleans, purchased and delivered the global STING tour – $5.5M, negotiated $550M for the Olympics, and initiated Formula One BMW. From January 1998 to August 1999 (1 year 8 months) Houston, Texas AreaVP, Worldwide Marketing and Marketing Communications @ Public company with $2B in revenue. Tandem Computers NonStop Computing products are the world's most trusted provider of computer products, services, and technologies that guarantee continuously available processing for applications that must not fail. Led Tandems corporate marketing and communications strategy as well as participating as a member of the Senior Management Group. Primary responsibilities included all company and product marketing, marketing communications, employee communications, corporate programs, overall marketing plan and the integration of Tandem and Compaq. Select accomplishments:
• Established Tandem as an important NT player through aggressive marketing communications programs
• Established strong web-based marketing integration with field
• Delivered new web architecture for Tandem (adopted by Compaq)
• Established aggressive award winning Advertising campaign moving Tandem unaided awareness up 20%
• Consistently drove high quality events, sponsorships, PR, and collateral
• Led the communications team and subsequent marketing integration for both Tandem and Compaq around the acquisition From November 1996 to January 1998 (1 year 3 months) San Francisco Bay AreaExecutive Vice President, Worldwide Marketing @ Wholly-owned subsidiary of Tandem Computers with $400M in revenue. Ungermann-Bass Networks delivered hardware and software based networking and switching solutions for corporate infrastructure.
Chartered with defining and implementing UB Networks worldwide marketing strategy. With highly constrained budgets, successfully built an outstanding marketing team which included: marketing services, channels marketing, product marketing, competitive marketing, market development, telemarketing, telesales, advertising, and press/analyst relations. Established success through the creation and implementation of a product launch management system, competitive analysis function, industry leading channel marketing programs, and a high quality set of overall demand programs which doubled the number of qualified leads to the field on an annual basis. In addition, I re-launched the company through an aggressive PR and Advertising campaign. UB Networks grew to a $400 million dollar company while experiencing record revenue growth and resurgence in the highly competitive networking industry. This growth was recognized by Newbridge Networks who acquired UB in early January of 1997. I led the merger announcement team and closed the merger with Newbridge. Recognized as a key contributor to this success both inside and outside the company. From August 1993 to November 1996 (3 years 4 months) San Francisco Bay AreaDirector, Office of the President @ Before being acquired by Novell, Unix System Labs were the wholly-owned subsidiary of AT&T and the providers of the Unix System to the technology industry. As a part of the USL management team, we moved the company from a research center to a profitable $350M company within 2 years. As Director, I managed overall departmental budgets, collaborated with the CEO on all presentations and communications to employees and press, led marketing for major strategic launches including UNIX SVR on Intel, as well as UnixWare (a joint venture with Novell). After the acquisition, I was one of only three executives retained by Novell to support the transition of USL. From April 1991 to August 1993 (2 years 5 months) Summit Hill, New JerseySr. Product Manager | Sr. Product Marketing Manager @ Software AG was one of the largest global independent software and database software providers for mainframes and eventually PCs. I held several positions at Software AG including Competitive Market Analyst and Product Manager. I developed Software AG North Americas standardized product launch methodology and demonstrated multiple successes through increasing revenues 65% ($1.6M) and customer market penetration for add-on products including NATURAL 4GL, CONNECT (mainframe email) and NATURAL CONNECTION (3270 emulation and pc connectivity). One of two people awarded 'Employee of the Year" in 1987. From January 1986 to April 1991 (5 years 4 months) Reston, VirginiaSoftware Programmer (Internship) @ Worked as part of the IT and application software teams for RCA. Gained experience as a professional COBOL programmer and database administrator for ORACLE database. From June 1985 to September 1985 (4 months) Indianapolis, IN
Executive Leadership, Business Administration and Management, General @ Harvard Business School From 1998 to 1999 B.S., Computer Information Systems @ Purdue University From 1981 to 1985 Doug Wheeler is skilled in: SaaS, SEO, Product Management, Marketing Strategy, Positioning, Direct Marketing, PPC, Social Media, Web Marketing, Advertising, Pricing, Corporate Communications, Telemarketing, Project Planning, Packaging, Sponsorship, Demand Generation, Product Marketing, Enterprise Software, Freemium, Salesforce.com, CRM, Mobile Applications, Strategy, SEM, Start-ups, Lead Generation, Strategic Partnerships, Product Development, Leadership, Digital Marketing, Management, Business Development, Email Marketing, Mobile Devices
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension