SVP Sales & Operations Support @ Fort Dearborn Company
Vice President and General Manager @ Caraustar
President / SVP / VP @ Independent Consultant
Penn State University
General Manager with extensive senior leadership experience building commercial relationships and extracting value from large, centrally-managed, multi-plant, make-to-order manufacturing operations. A creative strategic thinker guided by business acumen to manage teams and individuals with a strong vision and purpose. Energized by designing and implementing new and different approaches and organizational structures to tackle large, complex challenges that
General Manager with extensive senior leadership experience building commercial relationships and extracting value from large, centrally-managed, multi-plant, make-to-order manufacturing operations. A creative strategic thinker guided by business acumen to manage teams and individuals with a strong vision and purpose. Energized by designing and implementing new and different approaches and organizational structures to tackle large, complex challenges that deliver sustainable financial results driven by informed and empowered associates. Expertise includes:
• Strategy Development
• Business Transformation
• Organizational Design
• Mergers & Acquisitions
• P & L Management
• Import Strategies
• Business Development
• Operations Management
• Integrated Business Planning / Sales & Operations Planning
Vice President and General Manager @ General Manager with P&L responsibility for a multi-plant, make-to-order, vertically integrated folding carton manufacturing business. From July 2015 to Present (6 months) Greater Atlanta AreaPresident / SVP / VP @ Seeking senior level position with P&L authority after successfully turning around and selling a struggling BU. From July 2014 to June 2015 (1 year) Greater Atlanta AreaVP Sales / Operations Support @ Hand-picked by the COO to lead the turn-around for the commercial facing and back-office support teams in a struggling $750M business unit. Managed 50 sales and technical development professionals and a back-office support team of 60 associates.
• Sold the business unit to Mondi at an industry leading 7.5x projected EBITDA after assessing the long-term strategic outlook (utilizing Bain Consulting) and considering and rejecting several acquisition targets.
• Improved EBITDA from 1.3% to 7.0% within 12 months by implementing a 6% price increase (with no material negative impact on top line revenues), reducing and repurposing SG&A, and realigning plant workloads to enable the closure of two out of eleven converting facilities.
• Reversed a four year revenue loss trend by improving lead-times from 22 weeks to six weeks and On Time & Complete shipments from 15% to 90% by building from scratch an effective Sales & Operations Planning process, empowering the existing Customer Service associates to be the voice of the customer within our manufacturing plants, and generating a clear vision statement that the sales team rallied around and connected with our customer base.
• Bolstered our Woven Poly Propylene revenue stream $10M/15% by re-engineering our import strategy to include a green-field factory in Vietnam, adding redundant sourcing from India and Mexico to mitigate supply risk, and right-sizing our domestic operation to satisfy customers’ short-turn requirements. From 2013 to 2014 (1 year) Vice President of Sales and Operations Support @ Served as the Sr. VPs Chief of Staff for this $2.1B / 6,100 associates / 30 plant / Lean/Six Sigma-driven business unit. General Manager responsibilities for several niche P&Ls. Deeply engaged in setting business unit strategy. Led a team of 315 “centralized” back-office associates in the disciplines of Customer Service, Graphical Services, Computer Assisted Design, Capacity Management, Raw Materials Sourcing, Receivables Collection, Inventory Management, Warehousing, Transportation, Costing, and Pricing.
• Effectively developed five director-level associates with disparate backgrounds and industry experience into a highly functioning leadership team by sharing information, providing clear, concise, and measurable objectives, and engendering a culture that rewards collaboration and mutual success.
• Led the commercial strategy and synergy generation for a widely successful acquisition of an $80M tuck-under that resulted in no top line deterioration and generated an incremental $20M of EBITDA over the first three years.
• Sold a non-core $20M co-manufacturing operation at 9x EBITDA after significantly increasing its value by stabilizing the top line, reducing future risk through carefully drafted and executed contracts with key customers, and replacing the existing hourly associates with a temporary employment service.
• Improved the division’s financial results by assessing and ultimately eliminating a $15M revenue stream that demanded a disproportionate amount of SG&A, exacerbated seasonal demand on limited resources, and had a poor cash conversion cycle. From 2009 to 2013 (4 years) Business Development and Sales Management @ Ever increasing responsibilities in revenue generation and managerial oversight for both regional accounts and large, multi-national consumer product companies culminating with responsibility for a $550M portfolio of top-tier clients.
• Commercialized a highly profitable $75M annual revenue stream for Kraft’s Capri Sun packaging requirements by gaining a deep understanding of the marketing, manufacturing, distribution and sourcing deliverables/concerns, creatively overcoming a third party licensing agreement road block, and developing and implementing a low risk, lower cost, sustainable packaging supply model.
• Chosen as Salesman of the Year among a peer group of 85 by growing revenues from $1M to $18M with the highly coveted Mars, Inc. account. From 1995 to 2009 (14 years) Plant Management - $80M MTO Operation @ From 1990 to 1995 (5 years) Surface Warfare Officer @ Lieutenant, Surface Warfare Officer
• Top Secret Clearance
• U.S. Navy Liaison Officer for Pakistan Naval Ships Aslat and Khaibar
• Awarded the Navy Commendation and Achievement Medals From 1985 to 1991 (6 years)
GMP, General Management @ Harvard Business School From 2008 to 2009 BS, Operations Research / QBA @ Penn State University Dean Dietrich is skilled in: Strategic Planning, Business Transformation, Organizational Design, Negotiation, P&L Management, Mergers & Acquisitions, Import, Business Development, Operations Management, S&OP implementation, IBP, Continuous Improvement, Business Planning, Lean Manufacturing, Sales Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension