I have extensive experience across a broad range of IT based projects in a variety of business areas. A common theme has been a mixture of challenging technological environments combined with direct contact with vendors, suppliers and clients. I really enjoy combining these together and feel that the ability to work directly with key individuals has provided
I have extensive experience across a broad range of IT based projects in a variety of business areas. A common theme has been a mixture of challenging technological environments combined with direct contact with vendors, suppliers and clients. I really enjoy combining these together and feel that the ability to work directly with key individuals has provided a lot of project benefits. I’m passionate about the work I do and the interpersonal side makes delivery for clients so much more rewarding.
I have a track record of achievement with British Airways but feel that my project leadership and delivery success could be applied to a number of different businesses having a good grasp of maintaining business operations in critical areas. I completely understand the consequences of interrupting fast paced facilities so go the extra mile to make sure all I provide is robust and well thought through. I enjoy the challenge of involvement in the full project lifecycle and being close to clients and stakeholders always provides an advantage. My ability to help make understanding technology accessible to all really helps here.
Technical Baggage Support @ Re-joined team with special responsibilities for delivering new flight arrivals focused Reconciliation system
• Worked to improve relationship between BA and IBM over JBS
• Managed the delivery of 2 JBS releases
• Worked with BA CM team to ensure integration with new operational management system From January 2015 to June 2015 (6 months) ATR Support and Management @ Provided consultancy on design of new Time Recording system for BA in challenging unionised environment which once commissioned, delivered multi– million pound cost savings annually.
• Engaged in TU discussions over this new system and its proposed links to Pay systems
• Involved in 24x7 support of new system roll-out, being on-site at airport for 2 weeks to ensure on-site availability and immediate response to problems
• Developed and implemented User Guides and support documentation.
• Managed on-site engineering support from supplier’s staff to deal with vandalism against hardware.
• Managed expansion and integration of this system into all areas of the airline infrastructure
• Led the cutover to a fully managed service provided by the supplier
• Provided consultancy on ATR data integration into several other management systems From March 2000 to June 2015 (15 years 4 months) FLY Delivery & Support @ Consultancy provided to the delivery team planning for the rollout of a new Ramp departure system for BA 40000 users
• Maintained operations across 179 airports and a 24/7 operation that could not be impeded by rollout
• Provided onsite support at 3 major overseas airports and member of 24/7 support team based at LHR
• Liaised with system suppliers at airports such as SITA, ULTRA, managing rollout, enhancements and code fixes
• Led daily meetings to ensure interdepartmental focus maintained on resolving issues as highest priority
• Agreed rollout process, provided documentation and training to hand over support to 3rd party company
• Ensured that FLY worked with new CM and operational management system replacing all front line systems
• Managed the introduction to BA of an “Airport-in-a-box” style check-in and departure system as a disaster recovery solution to be used for cutover period From January 2012 to January 2015 (3 years 1 month) WorldTracer Delivery & Support @ Worked with SITA to determine best approach to align with airline industry standards for baggage recovery & reconciliation.
• Delivered tested code on industry specific language form BA WorldTracer system
• Supported industry changes and delivered enhancements to support the customer experience with BA
• Led on delivery of coded enhancements to the BA PRS system
• Updated the rollout process to ensure it was as efficient as possible for BA From May 2009 to January 2012 (2 years 9 months) Airports Resource Management team @ Key Achievements:
• Joined dedicated team with responsibility for managing all BA day to day systems concerned with staff attendance & performance
• Worked on integration of data between rostering, attendance and allocation systems alongside external consultants from IBM, SABRE and INFORM.
• Responsible for delivering Business buy in for new system-oriented approach to managing day to day operation at LHR
• Responsible for delivering Vehicle Key Control system to ensure conformance with regulatory requirements for identification of drivers on airside vehicles at UK airports
• Responsible for delivery and implementation of Telematics system, allowing improved management of vehicle utilisation From February 2005 to May 2009 (4 years 4 months) TESS to RMS @ Member of project team replacing TESS system with RMS as part of integrated rollout of INFORM airport management systems
On site in Aachen, Germany, consulting with supplier INFORM Management of rollout from customer standpoint From February 2005 to June 2008 (3 years 5 months) Baggage team @ Seconded into Baggage Support team as 24/7 team member to support JBS once live.
Worked on LIBRA Baggage reconciliation and BRAVE Baggage re-flighting systems.
Managed supplier deliveries of fixes and upgrades on LIBRA
Ran user group meetings and ensured business buy in to new systems use From September 2003 to February 2005 (1 year 6 months) JBS system development and rollout @ Worked with IBM to develop new system for use by Arrivals Services to highlight in advance when customer's luggage had failed to make their flight.
Annual saving estimated to be £20 million. Analysis work and time spent in Tokyo working with local BA team on initial launch site From September 2002 to October 2003 (1 year 2 months) TRANSVIEW Development And Support @ Rollout of new in house system to predict transfer flows for passengers, cargo and luggage.
• Delivered training and support to business team to expand use of system across company and also by Airport operators
• Ran user groups to build target customer confidence and buyin From March 2000 to September 2002 (2 years 7 months) IT Analyst TESS system @ Worked in the Airport Resource Management team supporting the application that ran the company’s coaching operation for crew and passengers.
• Managing day to day support, provision of training documentation, facilitating user groups
• Managed the implementation of the TESS telephone reporting facility used by BA Crews in the LHR Central area From December 1998 to March 2001 (2 years 4 months) Secondment to Y2K project @ Worked with the BA Y2K team to ensure that testing standards were met for all in-house applications and that suppliers kept to agreed timescales for their Y2K certification.
• Worked in planning team responsibility for managing support coverage of the Y2K period
• Responsible for developing and managing reporting procedures to be used over Y2K cutover period From June 1999 to February 2000 (9 months) Aircraft Engineering @ A 3 year Avionic Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship followed by 7 years as an Aircraft Engineer across Heathrow Terminals 1 & 4, in Maintenance Engineering with responsibility for Aircraft Electrical, Avionic and Radar systems on all aircraft types within the British Airways fleet From April 1988 to December 1998 (10 years 9 months)
Forfar Academy From 1981 to 1987 David James (MBCS) is skilled in: Negotiation, Customer Service, Change Management, Microsoft Office, Management, Operations Management, Strategic Planning, Application Management, process change, Process Improvement, Program Management, Project Planning, Team Leadership, Training, Supplier Management
Looking for a different
David James (MBCS)?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension