Associate Director of Global Market Development - Life Science Solutions @ Thermo Fisher Scientific
Associate Director of Product Management - Clinical Next-Gen Sequencing and Oncology @ Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Corporate Representative - Association For Women in Science Partnership @ Thermo Fisher Scientific
Chengya is a business professional with a focus on Product Management, Marketing, Strategy and General Management in the life science and healthcare industry. She has worked as a Cardiologist where she gained wide ranging experience in clinical medicine, as a Senior Scientist in different organizations where she gained extensive R&D experience in the biotech and pharmaceutical industries,
Chengya is a business professional with a focus on Product Management, Marketing, Strategy and General Management in the life science and healthcare industry. She has worked as a Cardiologist where she gained wide ranging experience in clinical medicine, as a Senior Scientist in different organizations where she gained extensive R&D experience in the biotech and pharmaceutical industries, and as a Chief Strategist of Social Media Marketing and eBusiness for a nationally recognized online healthcare community. Chengya has demonstrated strong leadership and management skills in a variety of settings nationally and internationally. She has built an extensive business network with many biotech, pharmaceutical, medical device and hospital organizations around the world and has developed a global perspective on these industries.
Chengya is a high-caliber healthcare professional with both technical expertise and business management savvy:
• Strong business skills in marketing and strategy
• Demonstrated project management skills in both startup and global biotech/pharmaceutical companies
• Strong international work experience and extensive international exposure
• Strong R&D experience in Life Science
• Extensive medical training including two years as a practicing cardiologist
• Strong expertise on quality control, In Vitro Diagnostics (IVD) regulations, regulatory and compliance
• Superior ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams and to lead and motivate teams to develop new products
• Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Authored more than 20 conference and journal papers published in renowned academic journals
• Authored an academic book chapter
• Presented at more than 20 of the most widely attended national and international academic conferences
• Sailing, golf, swimming, hiking and running; piano, violin and photography; travel and adventure; Astronomy, Law and public speaking
Senior Product Manager - Next-Gen Sequencing @ Thermo Fisher Scientific is the largest Life Science company in the world. As the Senior Product Manager, Chengya works at its Next-Gen Sequencing (NGS) business of Clinical Next-Gen Sequencing Division (CSD) at the company:
• Lead one of the major clinical markets - Infectious Disease market and Microbiology Sequencing
• Lead a global cross-functional team to develop Infectious Disease global market business strategy and business plan
• Establish joint venture with Microbiology Division (MBD) within Thermo Fisher
• Work with Enterprise Genomics Solutions (EGS) team to develop National Infectious Diseases Surveillance and Screening (NIDDS) strategy From July 2015 to Present (6 months) San Francisco Bay AreaGraduate Leadership Development Program (GLDP) - General Management @ In the GLDP, Chengya worked at company's 3 different major functional areas:
# 1. Clinical Diagnostics Division (CDD). Quality Project Analyst
• Led the project to develop a strategic quality control plan for company's large Site Move project with $80M budget to develop Thermo Fisher’s newest Niche Diagnostic Center of Excellence.
• Supported key strategic projects within the Quality and Regulatory areas.
Key Accomplishments: Successfully established strategic Quality Control plan for one of the company's largest site move projects with $80M budget and contributed to the development of Thermo Fisher’s newest Niche Diagnostic Center of Excellence. Helped established site move Master Validation Plan and roughly 30 protocols for instrument validation.
#2. Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Division (CMD/LSMS). Marketing Lead
• Worked on new product launch and product management on newborn screening (NBS)
• Defined the global NBS market landscape
• Generated global NBS KOLs complete profiles
• Created a 5 years NBS global market business plan
• Visited global NBS KOLs, customers and collected VOC
Key Accomplishments: The NBS global market landscape Chengya defined will be used for the multiple years going forward. Worked with product management team and launched the first ever Thermo Fisher NBS software. Successfully established a 5 years global market business plan. Generated 26 global NBS KOLs' complete profiles.
# 3. Corporate Office. Worked with Operations Leadership Council (OLC) on Operations Strategy:
• Worked on 2015 Operations Footprint, LCR and FR
• Led the effort of establishing the global distribution database
• Worked with all divisions on 2015 Operations STRAP
Key Accomplishments: Established 1st global distribution center Tableau database which enabled first supply chain strategy; Worked with division Ops leaders and completed divisions’ 2015 STRAP refresh; established the 1st GLDP OLC project standard work From July 2013 to June 2015 (2 years) Chief Strategist of Social Media Marketing @ ProActive HealthCare USA is a nationally recognized professional social media healthcare community. Involving thousands of healthcare professionals, including many key healthcare industry executives, the group proposes effective solutions for the future of the healthcare industry. Chengya is the Chief Strategist of the management team:
• Worked with the founder and a C-Level strategic advisor to develop a revolutionary social media community that is defining a new healthcare arena in the USA.
• Responsible for recruiting multi-disciplinary healthcare leaders and key industry executives to join the group for continuous discourse about the delivery and management of the healthcare industry.
• Directed and managed healthcare social media discussion forums.
Key Accomplishments: Established mission,value, vision, strategic goals and initiatives for the group. Recruited numerous healthcare professionals, including C-level healthcare executives around the world to the group. Facilitated numerous discussions about practical, intelligent and workable solutions to industry challenges; some of the solutions have already been implemented in the healthcare industry. From 2010 to 2015 (5 years) Steering Committee Member @ The Women’s Employee Resource Group (ERG) is committed to make Thermo Fisher Scientific an employer of choice by fostering the advancement of women and building a corporate culture in which women employees are recruited, valued, developed, retained and promoted globally. Chengya is a member of the Steering Committee:
• Served as committee meeting chair
• Established mentoring program
• Organized networking events
Key Accomplishments: Established the first Bay Area female employee mentoring program to support high potential female employee's career development; Helped on organizing Bay Area networking/development events; Enabled sharing and connection across Bay Area locations; Increased education and awareness of work/life balance and women empowerment. From July 2013 to November 2014 (1 year 5 months) Marketing / Strategy Consultant @ Boston Scientific is a worldwide developer, manufacturer and marketer of medical devices used in a wide range of interventional medical specialties. Chengya was an Marketing/Strategy Consultant:
• Led a four-person multi-functional consulting team in identifying and assessing market opportunities that leveraged existing products into new markets.
• Directed team efforts in collaboration with portfolio manager to provide market segmentation, unmet needs assessment, competitor assessment and reimbursement assessment.
Key Accomplishments: Led the team to collect and analyze critical market research data and helped Boston Scientific successfully enter the new pulmonary diseases area. From August 2012 to January 2013 (6 months) Board Member @ The Healthcare and Biotech Club (HBC) at the Johnson School is a long-standing group of MBA students who are interested in pharmaceuticals, healthcare, biotechnology, or other life-science focused industries in the areas of marketing, venture capital, consulting, and investment banking. It provides a forum for students to learn the business of the healthcare and biotechnology industry, and to interact with leaders in healthcare industry. It also seeks to develop new relationships and strengthen existing interactions with companies and recruiters in the effort to make the Johnson School a leading recruiting ground for healthcare and biotechnology companies. Chengya was the VP of the HBC:
• Led the two years MBA and AMBA students' interaction and integration.
• Brought distinguished speakers from healthcare industry to speak to Cornell students.
• Organized recruiting events at Johnson School for significant healthcare companies.
• Worked with other board members to establish the very first HBC handbook.
• Organized healthcare club social events.
• Proactively helped students who are interested in healthcare industry on their recruiting efforts.
Key Accomplishments: As the VP of the Healthcare and Biotech Club, Chengya led and organized many club activities, social events and recruiting events for Johnson students; also helped many Johnson students effectively connect to healthcare and biotech companies nationwide. From 2012 to 2013 (1 year) Senior Scientist @ Covance is one of the world's largest and most comprehensive drug development service companies. Covance responds to pharmaceutical and biotech clients' toughest drug development challenges. Chengya was one of the top four senior scientists in the immunoassay development department:
• Provided scientific guidance and leadership to study teams on complex bioanalytical assay development.
• Worked closely with biotech and pharmaceutical companies on large drug development study projects.
• Played a leadership role in developing scientific approaches for drug discovery and problem solving.
• Contributed to long-range planning of the department.
Key Accomplishments: Together with three other scientists, led the scientific team that collaborated with biotech and pharmaceutical companies worldwide on large drug discovery projects. Our team earned nearly $15M annually for the company. From 2011 to 2011 (less than a year) Senior Scientist @ HemoShear is a biotech startup firm that works in partnership with pharmaceutical companies to explore the effects of new drug compounds. HemoShear provides the world's only human surrogate models. Chengya was a senior scientist who directly reported to the Chief Scientist Officer of the company:
• Responsible for a wide range of activities needed for laboratory operation of a human liver surrogate model, a breakthrough achievement in drug development.
• Investigated organ and disease models to provide strategic advantages.
• Ran the laboratory for proof of concept study.
• Managed departmental work flow and supervised laboratory specialists.
• Analyzed complex biomedical research data and facilitated all project-related communications with clients.
Key Accomplishments: Together with team members, established and implemented a new division for drug discovery and drug safety testing. Led a scientific team in securing a $200K NIH Small Business Innovation Grant funding ensuring the continued operations of the division. Developed an innovative antibody test method, which was published by one of the world’s most esteemed antibody companies, Abcam. From 2009 to 2010 (1 year) Research Scientist @ Virginia Tech is a comprehensive and innovative research institute. Chengya's lab in the Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences department worked on a $1.5M National Science Foundation (NSF) life science research project. Chengya was a research scientist and the lab manager:
• Led a ten-person cross-functional team that planned, coordinated and executed a large-scale NSF research project of nanotechnology on neuroscience.
• Led the collaboration with two different labs from bioengineering department to investigate toxic effects of nanoparticles on the central nervous system.
• Managed large-scale multi-generational birth defect research projects.
• Supervised and trained several new PhD students to become project leaders.
• Evaluated performance of over 100 DVM students.
Key Accomplishments: Executed large NSF grant research project. Presented the team’s scientific findings at the most widely attended neuroscience conference in the world and published a book chapter with Wiley-VCH. Successfully led and managed large-scale birth defects research projects. From 2006 to 2007 (1 year) Research Technologist @ Kansas State University is a high research institute. Chengya's lab in the College of Veterinary Medicine worked on a $1M NIH hearing research project. Chengya was a research technologist:
• Established new procedure for in vitro cultured hearing artery model.
• Determined the pharmacological effects of Ca2+ channel sensitive drugs.
• Served as a member of Society of Anatomy.
Key Accomplishments: Executed $1 million NIH hearing research project with scientific team members. Published two conference papers. Research findings were presented at renowned national academic conferences. From July 2004 to December 2005 (1 year 6 months) President and Board Member @ Young Physician Club (YPC) is a group of young doctors who travel to China’s rural places periodicaly to provide free medical services/examinations to local residents who could not afford them. Chengya was the President of the club:
• Organized community service events across the country.
• Led the club by traveling to many rural places of China to provide free medical service and medical examination.
• Gave presentations and workshops to educate local residents about healthy eating habits and basic medical knowledge.
• Conducted surveys to identify health concerns.
• Organized many local medical forums.
Key Accomplishments: As the President of Yong Physician Club, Chengya led the club help thousands of people across China by providing free medical services and examinations. She also led young physicians in the club educated thousand of people on basic medical knowledge. From 2000 to 2001 (1 year) Cardiologist @ Shengli Hospital, one of the best hospitals in China offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty in medicine and surgery. Chengya was a cardiologist and a key member of the department and hospital management team:
• Diagnosed and treated various cardiovascular diseases.
• Played a leadership role in business management of cardiovascular department and hospital.
• Led Young Physician Club and organized many large medical community service events across China.
Key Accomplishments: Successfully treated hundreds of cardiovascular disease patients. Established standard operating procedure (SOP) for medical student CPR training. Supervised and trained hundreds of pre-med and medical students. Introduced new technologies which enabled the hospital to bring in millions of dollars additional revenue annually. Contributed to departmental and hospital-wide strategic planning and project management processes. Earned Best Doctor Awards in 2000 and 2001. From 1999 to 2001 (2 years)
MBA @ Cornell University - S.C. Johnson Graduate School of ManagementPhD, Biomedical Sciences @ Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University From 2006 to 2009 MS, Molecular Biology and Microbiology @ University of Central Florida From 2001 to 2004 MD, Medicine @ Shandong University - School of Medicine From 1994 to 1999 Chengya MBA is skilled in: Lifesciences, Molecular Biology, Pharmaceutical Industry, Strategy, Drug Discovery, Cell Biology, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Business Development, Assay Development, Neuroscience, Healthcare, Biochemistry, Marketing, Clinical Research, Drug Development
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension