Senior Marketing Consultant @ Good Enough to Eat Restaurant
Senior Software Engineer @ Tierion
Chinese Exchange, Mandarin Language @
Buck has been living and working in Beijing, China since May, 2010 working primarily in the digital marketing, web design, and web development industries. He has over 4 years experience in modern marketing techniques including on and off-site search engine optimization, lead generation, A-B testing, and general SEM techniques. His web development experience includes front and back-end
Buck currently works for Eggplant Digital, a boutique web design company that focuses on Wordpress based websites for international companies based in Beijing. Buck's responsibilities include front-end and back-end development on the company's wide variety of projects as well as managing the development team's Scrum. Buck also set up the company's Git development process for all ongoing projects.
Previously Buck worked as Marketing Manager at China Performance Group, an international sourcing company that focuses on helping foreigners who want to manufacture in China. Buck designed the company's long term marketing initiatives including managing a website redesign, SEO efforts bringing the company's site to the first page for top 3 target keywords, running the company's internship program, and managing several high profile market research projects for the company's clients.
In 2013 Buck also broke the Guinness World Record for longest motorcycle journey within a single country by being the first foreigner to ride a motorcycle through all 33 of China's provinces in a single journey for over 33,300km. During this trip, he and his partner Amy also managed to raise over $41,000 for Free Lunch for Children, a Chinese charity that provides free school lunches for poor children in rural China, with operations in over 20 provinces around the country.
Buck's native language is English and he is proficient in Mandarin, Spanish, and French.
Co-Founder, Driver, Editor, Writer, Web Developer @ The Great Ride of China is a 2013 Guinness World Record breaking motorcycle ride through all 33 provinces of China.
From July 19th to December 11th, 2013 with my girlfriend Amy Mathieson, I rode over 34,000km around China on a single motorcycle, making us the first foreigners of official record to ride through every province in the country in a single, uninterrupted journey. The trip covered altitudes ranging from the third lowest on earth in the Turpan Depression up to Mt. Everest Base Camp and climates that fluctuated from sandstorms to rainstorms to snowstorms. We also partnered with China based charity Free Lunch for Children, raising over ¥115,000 to help feed underprivileged children in rural China.
- Contract negotiations with partners (in Chinese)
- Logistics management including equipment organization, route planning, and event scheduling
- Media and PR management
- Daily trip reporting on trip blog as well as Chinese and English language social media
- Public speaking (English and Chinese) for PR and fund-raising events
The Great Ride of China's primary sponsor was Hangzhou based CFMoto. You can see our other sponsors and learn more about our trip from our website: www.thegreatrideofchina.com From February 2013 to Present (2 years 11 months) ChinaProject Manager @ Front-end and back-end development on Wordpress based websites for international and local companies based in Beijing and around China.
- Assist with website design and marketing strategy as well as business development.
- Help run development team Scrum
- Setup and run git version control system and gitflow development model for internal project development.
- Managing teams of developers working on new and ongoing website and web app projects
- Experience managing teams via Podio, Asana, and Basecamp project management software From February 2014 to March 2015 (1 year 2 months) Senior Marketing Consultant @ -Advise the marketing and online related business for Good Enough to Eat restaurant in New York City.
-Manage a team overseeing all social media marketing for the restaurant on Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare. Gained a following of over 1,000 people and an average weekly reach of around 6,000 on Facebook.
-Help organize competitions and press releases for the restaurant, while managing and updating the website on a regular basis. From February 2010 to June 2013 (3 years 5 months) Founder and Co-CEO @ The China Step is an innovate new way to help foreigners get to China, having an experience of their own. By providing an affordable support framework for those interested in coming to China, we allow those who might not have the resources to join expensive intern or travel companies, allowing those curious about China to have a unique and independent experience. From January 2012 to May 2013 (1 year 5 months) Marketing Manager @ - Design and manage new marketing initiatives for the company to broaden company's exposure, primarily through digital mediums. Initiatives have included the design and establishment of a company blog, company newsletter, use of modern SEO techniques on the website, and the use of social networking.
- Manage the creation, publication, and marketing of company white papers, managing teams of up to 4 people including researchers, programmers, and designers.
- Responsible for a complete redesign and reprogramming of the company website, including managing of the creation of several web based business applications.
- Manage the Marketing Internship Program: teaching modern marketing techniques, and managing the interns for various marketing initiatives and projects.
- Compile comprehensive Market Research Reports related to the Chinese market, including evaluating consumer trends, government regulation, and production capacity and potential. Managing teams of up to three people, both Chinese and foreign.
- Oversaw an increase in traffic of nearly 1,000% to the company website with over 12,000 Pageviews per month in first year. From May 2010 to May 2012 (2 years 1 month) Sales @ - Used my over a decade of experience doing long distance hiking to advise clients on how to pack and prepare for trips all over the world
- Helped manage inventory and store displays From January 2010 to October 2010 (10 months) Server @ - Managed up to half the tables at the restaurant
- Provide a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere for the patrons
- Managed tables worth thousands of dollars of business during major sporting events including the 2010 Gold Medal Hockey match and numerous UFC fight nights. From July 2008 to May 2010 (1 year 11 months) Media and Tech Supervisor @ - Managed the video production for the fair's promotional video displayed on the homepage of their website.
- Managed teams of interns and volunteers for setting up displays and art pieces.
- Set up a computer system for tracking pieces of art sold at the fair including a display system to show to interested visitors whether a piece was still available or not. From 2009 to 2009 (less than a year)
Honours BA with Distinction, Economics, Chinese Language and Society @ University of Toronto - New College From 2006 to 2010 Chinese Exchange, Mandarin Language @ Tsinghua University From 2009 to 2009 High School @ Horace Mann School From 1998 to 2005 Buck Perley is skilled in: HTML + CSS, PHP, Wordpress, Wordpress Design, SEO, Web Project Management, Research Project Management, International Business, International Marketing, Travel Management, Mandarin, Online Marketing, Chinese, Social Networking, Marketing