Freelance Editor/Proofreader, Copywriter & Special Project Consultant @ Various Companies
Recruiter (Whole Blood & Double Red Cell Donors), Central Ohio Region @ American Red Cross
HS diploma, College Prep @
Ontario High School
I’m an enthusiastic team-focused creative thinker with a passion for words and storytelling. I craft compelling copy that persuades and inspires, and I never lose sight of how much a message matters. Coupled with my “I’m-excited-to-be-a-part-of-it” attitude, my gift for using words to maximum effect helps me rise to any writing or marketing challenge. I aim to
I’m an enthusiastic team-focused creative thinker with a passion for words and storytelling. I craft compelling copy that persuades and inspires, and I never lose sight of how much a message matters. Coupled with my “I’m-excited-to-be-a-part-of-it” attitude, my gift for using words to maximum effect helps me rise to any writing or marketing challenge. I aim to give brands a voice – I say it so you can sell it.
Feature & Field Writer @ ▪ Write copy for various sales tools (bi-monthly magazine, seasonal catalog, postcards, brochures, newsletters, email, web and sales program collateral).
▪ Edit copy to ensure correct voice and tone.
▪ Stay current on industry and competitor information, new trends and other developing news that could impact perception of product and brand. From December 2010 to Present (5 years 1 month) Freelance Editor/Proofreader, Copywriter & Special Project Consultant @ ▪ Monthly columnist and food critic for culinary publications.
▪ Copywriter/Editor/Proofreader for books, brochures, correspondence, manuscripts and marketing materials for individual clients and small local businesses.
▪ Special projects: planning and implementing events and promotions, team-building and training activities, public relations/customer service strategies. From November 2006 to Present (9 years 2 months) Recruiter (Whole Blood & Double Red Cell Donors), Central Ohio Region @ ▪ Recruited prospective blood donors by contacting individuals,
groups, organizations, businesses, churches and schools.
▪ Coordinated support of community and business donor groups.
▪ Developed new leads and implemented new donor recruitment programs to ensure an increased donor base and an adequate blood supply.
▪ Positively impacted the quality of service to donors and groups, increasing the availability of blood products.
▪ Coordinated reminder calls, follow-up, logging of data, maintenance of records and special projects to achieve established goals. From October 2009 to December 2010 (1 year 3 months) Production Editor @ ▪ Edited assigned manuscript.
▪ Rewrote copy as needed and offered suggestions for improvement in readability.
▪ Researched and determined veracity of information included in manuscripts reviewed.
▪ Facilitated orientation for freelancers and proctored initial testing session.
▪ Developed training and presentation materials for freelancers.
▪ Supervised freelancer efforts by coordinating assignments, directing paperwork and routing manuscript, addressing inquiries and concerns. From May 2004 to November 2006 (2 years 7 months) Product Manager, Fine Arts, Health & Work Force Education @ ▪ Developed overall creative concept and copy for catalog and packaging purposes.
▪ Maintained marketing forecasting system and provided sales history reports.
▪ Tracked inventory levels to ensure sufficient quantity and delivery by established deadlines.
▪ Created package profiles for all national and state-specific sample packages. From April 2002 to April 2004 (2 years 1 month) Versatile Learning System Coordinator, Marketing & Advertising @ ▪ Conducted VLS sales presentations at regional and national sales conferences.
▪ Created training materials and conducted workshops for field and sales support staff.
▪ Wrote updates and strategy suggestions; made recommendations to sales force for increased revenue opportunities.
▪ Created proposals for custom packaging of text and technology materials.
▪ Wrote copy for marketing materials, catalog, and VLS section of departmental handbook. From August 1996 to April 2002 (5 years 9 months) Sr. Customer Service Correspondent, Exec. Letter Specialist @ ▪ Wrote copy for package invoices shipped nationally and internationally.
▪ Selected as designated writer for executive letters sent on behalf of President/CEO & other executive level personnel.
▪ Coordinated special projects, surveys, and executive level reports.
▪ Provided personalized account service, specializing in overseas clientele.
▪ Chosen to write promotional copy for Victoria's Secret Catalogue segment on Oprah. From January 1992 to April 1996 (4 years 4 months)
BS, English, Journalism @ Bowling Green State University From 1981 to 1985 HS diploma, College Prep @ Ontario High School From 1977 to 1981 Beth Avila is skilled in: Public Relations, Copywriting, Marketing, Project Coordination, Textbooks, Publishing, Editing, Newsletters, Training, Magazines, Event Management, Sales, Proposal Writing, Marketing Communications, Marketing Strategy