Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer @ DroneUp
Juris Doctorate @
University of Richmond School of Law
Executive Management leader with 15 years dedicated to the business development, IP management, and legal strategy of million dollar consumer goods organizations. Accomplished lawyer with broad-based experience in licensing and inventor development, contract negotiations, litigation management, intellectual property protection, business sale or acquisition, and product liability safeguards. By possessing a dual legal and business education/perspective, able to
Executive Management leader with 15 years dedicated to the business development, IP management, and legal strategy of million dollar consumer goods organizations. Accomplished lawyer with broad-based experience in licensing and inventor development, contract negotiations, litigation management, intellectual property protection, business sale or acquisition, and product liability safeguards. By possessing a dual legal and business education/perspective, able to encourage a company to flourish as it extends product lines, develops new markets, and implements forward-thinking strategies. Skilled negotiator able to secure multi-million dollar licenses, set corporate policy, and reduce litigation exposure and personnel costs.
Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs @ • Created a company-wide licensing program by negotiating for and securing top-tier licensors, such as Disney, Marvel Comics, and Tony Hawk, for the pool toys and backyard items lines (40+ SKUs). Licensing products swelled revenue representing a significant portion of gross annual sales.
• Opened the door to outside inventors working alongside in-house Product Development. Formalized a robust company inventor submission program resulting in 15+ new items annually representing 20% of gross sales.
• Negotiated and managed the acquisition of various product lines and companies i.e., Kelsyus and Coop resulting in 40+ new items annually – represents a significant portion of gross revenues.
• Established company’s General Counsel department and currently serve on company Executive Committee. Developed department culture and its role in the company’s overall advancement.
• Organize, manage, defend, expand and assert the company’s intellectual property portfolio including 150+ patents and applications in 15 countries, trademarks and copyrights.
• Decreased company health insurance costs. Company had been experiencing 17% annual cost increases; reduced this to an average of only 4% increases for the past three years. Initiated a company-sponsored “wellness program” linking personal health improvements/lifestyle choices (i.e., weight loss, smoking cessation) to lower payroll insurance contributions.
• Management of Human Resources earned community recognition as one of the “Best Places to Work in Hampton Roads” (2011) and “Best Places to Work in Virginia” (2012).
• Diminished company product liability exposure. Oversee Product Integrity Group to formalize internal checks and balances procedures, testing for overall product safety, component safety, material quality, and Asia-based factory production procedures/protocols. From May 2004 to Present (11 years 8 months) Senior Vice President @ • Energized company’s product line by negotiating a blockbuster dual-licensing deal for “Lord of the Rings” allowing company to develop and produce a single collectible card game based on both the book series and movie trilogy (Tolkien Enterprises and New Line Cinema). Product line contributed $50 MM in sales revenue.
• Researched and analyzed data on numerous television and motion picture properties for potential licensing and acquisition. Established and maintained company’s relationships with several entertainment studios including Paramount Pictures, LucasFilm, Warner Bros., Disney, Universal Pictures, MGM, Miramax, and others.
• Initiated presentations to negotiate the acquisition of new properties including online complements to card games and a fan magazine publishing business. Principal contact for the company with business partners on development, approval, financial and contractual issues.
• Directly oversaw the company’s publishing and online store businesses and associated employees. From March 1999 to May 2004 (5 years 3 months) Associate, Corporate Law Department @ General corporate practice including: formation of business entities; structured, negotiated, drafted and finalized various transactions including asset and stock purchase agreements, joint ventures, joint development agreements, distribution agreement, employee and independent contractor agreements, various license agreements, manufacturing agreements and confidentiality agreements; advertising and sweepstakes reviews. From November 1996 to March 1999 (2 years 5 months) Associate, Intellectual Property Department @ General advice on creating, maintaining and protecting copyrights, trademarks, patents and trade secrets for domestic and foreign companies including: coordination of international intellectual property protection; drafted, negotiated and finalized various trademark, copyright, patent and trade secret license and acquisition agreements; character license agreements; drafted and negotiated various software license and maintenance agreements; assistance with appeals, oppositions and cancellations before the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board and U.S. District Courts; co-ordination of U.S. and international infringement matters including Internet trade name disputes; organize and conduct intellectual property audits. From August 1993 to November 1996 (3 years 4 months)
MBA, Business @ The College of William and Mary - The Mason School of Business From 2010 to 2011 Juris Doctorate @ University of Richmond School of Law From 1990 to 1993 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science / American Studies @ University of Richmond, Richmond College From 1986 to 1990 Anthony Vittone is skilled in: Intellectual Property, Corporate Law, Business Development, Licensing, Contract Negotiation, Corporate Governance, Privacy Law, Product Development, Litigation Management, Strategic Partnerships, Consumer Products, Patents, Mergers, Strategic Planning, Trademarks
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension