Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer @ National Board of Medical Examiners
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia @
Elan Pharmaceuticals @
Seasoned, hands-on IT leader in the healthcare and life sciences industries with expertise in strategic visioning, program / project management, operational planning and management, and effective process design. Focuses on delivering timely, measurable, and sustainable results. Employs pragmatic, no non-sense style to achieve success in complex, multi-site, multi-country, regulated environments. Excellent interpersonal skills with both senior management
Seasoned, hands-on IT leader in the healthcare and life sciences industries with expertise in strategic visioning, program / project management, operational planning and management, and effective process design. Focuses on delivering timely, measurable, and sustainable results. Employs pragmatic, no non-sense style to achieve success in complex, multi-site, multi-country, regulated environments. Excellent interpersonal skills with both senior management and line professionals.
- Strategic Business Planning / Execution
- Program / Project Management with PMP certification
- Outsourcing, Vendor Negotiation
- Creating High Performance Teams
- Systems Development Life-Cycle
- Partner Collaboration / Integration
- Software Package Selection
- Custom Application Development
- Strong Verbal/Written Communication
- Organizational Change Management
- IT Governance
- Standards/Regs: HIPPA, ISO 9001, SOX, GAMP, cGxPs
- LIMS, Laboratory Systems
Associate CIO and AVP, Business Applications and Research IS @ Leads teams focused on implementation and support of the registration/billing components of the hospital’s Epic-based electronic health record, web presence (SharePoint, Intranet, Internet site), financial systems, enterprise business applications, and IS support of Research. From July 2014 to Present (1 year 6 months) Greater Philadelphia AreaHealth System Director, Business Applications @ Led teams focused on implementation and support of the Hospital’s web presence (Intranet and Internet), financial systems and enterprise business applications.
• Led institution-wide team to identify cost savings in purchased services resulting in $3.5m in savings identified in the first year.
• Established governance process for prioritization of IT projects across corporate services functions including Revenue Cycle, Patient Access, Finance, Supply Chain and HR.
• Played key leadership role in restructuring Patient Access and Revenue Cycle (PARC) operational governance structure, leading to more timely decision making and implementation of needed efficiencies.
• Developed the Health Information Exchange, Enterprise Content Management and Customer Relationship Management strategies for the institution and overseeing implementations.
• Spearheaded project to implement SharePoint as a workgroup collaboration tool across the enterprise.
• Managed the hospital’s relationship with Microsoft including negotiation of a 20% discount off a 7 million dollar 3-year Enterprise Agreement. Crafted five year strategy for the implementation and use of Microsoft products. From July 2009 to June 2014 (5 years) Director, Information Technology Applications @ Consistently led a broad portfolio of strategic IT programs forward with high quality, on-time, on-budget with greater than 90% customer satisfaction while also managing operational support for implemented applications across Pharmaceutical business areas of Research, Development, Commercial and Drug Technologies successfully splitting time between San Francisco and King of Prussia, PA offices. Managed operating budget of $5.1 million remaining within allocation for 5 consecutive years. Led team of 22 full time staff plus contractors.
• Assembled business steering committees.
• Conceived and wrote SDLC.
• Conceived and authored strategic plan to implement regulated and collaborative content management technologies.
• Directed build out of new Siebel ePharma SFA application in support of new product launch.
• Directed projects including SharePoint, Oracle Business Intelligence, Argus Safety, Documentum, Symyx Isentris, Symyx Compound Registration, and Heartbeat KOL Database. From October 2004 to June 2009 (4 years 9 months) Associate Director, Information Technology @ Conducted comprehensive program of work for the Elan Drug Delivery, King of Prussia site including IT strategic planning, program management, project management, budget management, applications support, infrastructure, telecommunications and management of 5 person staff.
• Cut IT infrastructure costs by 20% through re-negotiation of contracts and careful consolidation of services with no degradation in service levels or customer satisfaction.
• Drove program to remediate GMP manufacturing and laboratory systems based on the FDA regulation 21-CFR Part 11, reducing regulatory compliance risk.
• Directed projects including Empower chromatography system upgrade and validation, network qualification, Building Management System implementation, and LabWare LIMS. From August 2002 to October 2004 (2 years 3 months) Associate Director, Information Technology Applications @ Led program of work for Elan Drug Delivery - IT strategic planning, program/project management, budget management, applications support, infrastructure, and management of 5 person staff.
• Implemented Siebel CRM platform for the Commercial group providing visibility to senior management of licensing deal status and streamlining commercial activities.
• Led task force and authored Elan Drug Delivery IT Strategic Plan, defining organization structure, IT governance model, strategic application areas and projects over four-year period.
• Built five-site, validated EDMS system based on Documentum dramatically increasing efficiency of controlled authoring, review and approval. Wrote in-depth NPV analysis. Wrote user guide.
• Implemented division-wide, multi-site Intranet resulting in streamlined communications across the sites.
• Worked with President to implement the Drug Delivery business Internet web site show-casing Elan’s cutting edge drug technologies to the target customers. From March 2000 to August 2002 (2 years 6 months) Senior Manager @ Responsible for Rhône-Poulenc Rorer’s strategic, global electronic communications systems including Intranet/Internet infrastructure, e-mail, group scheduling, and integration of these into other platforms; Included all facets of strategy, design, development (upgrades/new technologies), resource management (budget/people), new deployments, operations and engineering-level support; Deployment included 40 countries and 15,500 users
• Built and managed geographically dispersed team (US, UK, France) of highly motivated engineers responsible for developing/supporting the Intranet and Microsoft Exchange e-mail platforms
• Created and maintained an Information Technology Strategic Plan for the communications platform based on business application requirements
• Oversaw all projects related to platform; Provided consulting services to application development teams
• Acted as liaison with other Rhône-Poulenc companies and joint-venture partners regarding communication systems From December 1995 to March 2000 (4 years 4 months) Technical Specialist @ Managed migration of 1,500 user e-mail system from IBM PROFS to MS Mail. Provided operational / user support. From December 1993 to December 1995 (2 years 1 month) PC/Network Manager @ Implemented early generation custom sales force automation system for national sales force driving sales process by providing reps with visibility to territory order activity. Led all aspects of computer network operations. Managed team of 3 staff. From June 1991 to November 1993 (2 years 6 months) Senior Consultant @ Generated revenue by analyzing, designing, coding and implementing multi-user database systems for clients. From March 1990 to May 1991 (1 year 3 months) Network Administrator @ Implemented and supported initial local area network and e-mail system. From July 1987 to March 1990 (2 years 9 months)
MS, Information Studies @ Drexel University From 1987 to 1989 BA, Economics @ Fairfield University From 1982 to 1985 Andy Farella is skilled in: Strategic Business Planning / Execution, Program / Project Management with PMP certification, Outsourcing, Vendor Negotiation, Creating High Performance Teams, Systems Development Life-Cycle, Partner Collaboration / Integration, Software Package Selection, Custom Application Development, Strong Verbal/Written Communication, Organizational Change Management, IT Governance, Standards/Regs: ISO 9001, SOX, GAMP, cGxPs, HIPAA, HITECH, LIMS, Laboratory Systems, Communication, Project Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension