Certificate of Business Excellence @
University of California, Berkeley - Walter A. Haas School of Business
Researcher and innovator in the areas of Information Retrieval and Data Mining with extensive experience in search, e-commerce and payments. In depth knowledge of software architecture and development of large and scalable applications for the web. Proven track record of business impact through research and successful domestic and international organization development. Thought leader and results driven individual
Researcher and innovator in the areas of Information Retrieval and Data Mining with extensive experience in search, e-commerce and payments. In depth knowledge of software architecture and development of large and scalable applications for the web. Proven track record of business impact through research and successful domestic and international organization development. Thought leader and results driven individual with strong communication skills.
Looking for a leadership role that leverages innovation and cutting edge technology to deliver customer solutions with business results.
Specialties:Software Architecture and Development, Information Retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Collaborative Filtering, Machine Learning, Data Mining, Multivariate Testing, Online Advertisement, Payment Networks, Fraud Systems, Creation of International Research and Software Development Organizations.
Sr. Director of Product: ONE for Publishers @ From April 2015 to Present (7 months) San Francisco Bay AreaSenior Director Product Management @ From November 2013 to March 2015 (1 year 5 months) San Francisco Bay AreaProduct Manager Lead, eBay Advertising @ Leading the product team responsible for eBay's Programmatic Media Trading solutions. We strive to help Advertisers at large to leverage eBay's data to connect with their customers. From September 2011 to October 2013 (2 years 2 months) Brisbane, CAProduct Manager, Search and Social Shopping @ From December 2010 to September 2011 (10 months) San Francisco Bay AreaStaff Research Scientist @ • Technical lead of the Marketplace Efficiency research area, covering marketplace design, competitive intelligence and social shopping.
• Achieved immediate impact on the advertisement business after the first year of founding and developing the eBay Research Labs satellite lab in Shanghai, China.
• Winner of several internal innovation competitions with direct recognition from the CEO and other C level executives and board members. From September 2007 to November 2010 (3 years 3 months) Senior Research Scientist @ • Provided key technology insights and guidance to Corporate Strategy and M&A teams to define long term strategy and evaluate potential acquisitions.
• Direct impact to the bottom line by improvements of eBay’s search ranking and merchandizing capabilities by introducing state of the art IR and collaborative filtering techniques to the company. Extensive experience in multivariate testing and data mining of big data such as user activity logs (over 500GB/day) as well as item and purchase data (10M items/day).
• Developed first automated recommendation system in the company based on transaction data. From March 2006 to August 2007 (1 year 6 months) Research Engineer (Computational Linguistics) @ • Enabled significant revenue impact through implementation of core search technologies such as the spell-checker, similar item search and synonym query expansion for all languages.
• Improved eBay's fraud detection system by leveraging large scale search technology to identify previously suspended users. From November 2003 to February 2006 (2 years 4 months) Senior Software Engineer @ • Center’s representative for DARPA funded project. In collaboration with other institutions (BBN, IBM, Columbia University, CMU) built a system with machine translation, document summarization, entity extraction and event detection technologies for the intelligence community.
• Contributed to the research and software development of information retrieval applications, building user interfaces and system integration. Published papers and technical reports at national and international conferences. From August 2000 to October 2003 (3 years 3 months)
Certificate of Business Excellence, Business Administration, Management and Operations @ University of California, Berkeley - Walter A. Haas School of Business From 2012 to 2013 M.Sc., Computer Science @ University of Massachusetts, Amherst From 2001 to 2003 B.Sc., Industrial Engineering @ Universidad de Los Andes From 1996 to 2000 Alvaro Bolivar is skilled in: Information Retrieval, Natural Language..., Architecture, Online Advertising, Multivariate Testing, Data Mining, Collaborative Filtering, Machine Learning, Scalability, Product Management, User Experience, Web Analytics, Software Development, Perl, Big Data, Mobile Applications, Algorithms, Search, Distributed Systems, High Performance..., Hadoop, MapReduce, Optimization, Analytics, Recommender Systems, Software Engineering, Strategy, Text Mining, Artificial Intelligence, A/B testing, Search Engine Technology