Technical Advisor on Speech and AI @ Undisclosed Public Company >1,000 employees
Vice President, Amazon Speech and Echo Software @ for the past few years I've been building and managing the Amazon speech team, encompassing ASR, NLU, and TTS (science and engineering). Our journey has just begun with the recently launched Echo product. We continue to build our team. Interested in working on speech, natural language understanding or Echo?
Vice President, Amazon Speech and Echo Software @ for the past few years I've been building and managing the Amazon speech team, encompassing ASR, NLU, and TTS (science and engineering). Our journey has just begun with the recently launched Echo product. We continue to build our team. Interested in working on speech, natural language understanding or Echo? WE'RE HIRING!!!!
Want to work in the speech field? Have an expertise in Machine Learning, Software Engineering, test, Technical Program Management or Engineering Management? Ask me about our many opportunities in the US, UK, Germany and Poland. From September 2011 to Present (4 years 4 months) Greater Seattle AreaDirector, Amazon Prime Technology Team @ · Responsible for all technology associated with the Amazon Prime program ( initially this was 12 cloud based software services and a team of 40 engineers )
· Launches included Prime Instant Video, Sunday delivery, Amazon Student, Amazon Mom, Kindle Lending Library, and international expansions into France, Italy and Spain.
· Over a 3 year period rebuilt the team and transitioned the technology focus from “rapid launch” to a mature program that would scale to handle accelerated growth and large volumes of transactions through:
o A programmatic focus on operational excellence and addressing root causes which reduced the engineering team operational burden from 50% to 20%
o Building a team and process to address quality assurance and support engineering, including the creation of an operations and test team in Bangalore
o Establishing and executing on a vision for software services that would replace manual marketing and analytic activities. From August 2008 to September 2011 (3 years 2 months) Managing Director, European DVD Rentals by Mail @ · Responsible for Amazon UK and DE DVD rental by post business, culminating in the divestiture to Lovefilm in 2008.
· Responsible for backend systems (FC software covering allocation, returns, picking, inventory management, etc), website software, marketing, buying, customer service and FC operations.
· Delivered improved allocations algorithms to improve the customer experience around receiving their top choices while controlling inventory costs ( particularly in new releases )
· Designed and began implementation on a complete redesign of queue management and film discovery. Work halted when we signed an agreement to exit this business and move our customers onto the Lovefilm platform
· Managed all aspects of the transition of our customer from Amazon to Lovefilm including the transfer of customer data (queues, preferences, Discs at home, billing info, etc), transfer of physical inventory, joint marketing messages, and Customer messaging about their account moving to Lovefilm.
· Successfully transferred all customers to Lovefilm and closed out the Amazon physical DVD rental business From July 2006 to September 2008 (2 years 3 months) Senior Manager, Retail Software Development @ Managing multiple software development teams developing features in the retail space, such as "Shopping List", launching "Grocery", adding IMDB data to the DVD Detail pages, and the Amazon Diamond finder application. From October 2004 to July 2006 (1 year 10 months) Director, Software Development @ From 2003 to October 2004 (1 year) President and CEO @ A business software solutions company with an E-Timesheet and E-Expense report product offerings.
Responsible for all aspects of the company from development through to Marketing, sales and support
6 corporate customer through August 2004 From 2003 to 2004 (1 year) Director NMS Software Development @ From 2000 to 2002 (2 years) Director, Off-Shore Development @ Responsible for managing Development Resources in Mumbai India From 1999 to 2000 (1 year) Manager @ From 1997 to 2000 (3 years) Software Team Leader @ From 1997 to 1998 (1 year)
BMath Honours in Computer Science @ University of Waterloo From 1990 to 1995 Al Lindsay is skilled in: Scalability, Software Development, Product Management, Management, Leadership, Distributed Systems, Agile Methodologies, Software Engineering, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cloud Computing, Mobile Applications, Scrum, Agile Project Management, Perl, Hadoop, Software Design
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension