Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Computer Engineering @
Rochester Institute of Technology
I'm a creative and hardworking computer engineer focused on emerging technologies and making a mark in the technological landscape. I enjoy solving problems, working in small teams of motivated people, and helping ideas become a reality. I am fascinated by lean and efficient companies and admire companies that build a strong sense of culture and loyalty. I
I'm a creative and hardworking computer engineer focused on emerging technologies and making a mark in the technological landscape. I enjoy solving problems, working in small teams of motivated people, and helping ideas become a reality. I am fascinated by lean and efficient companies and admire companies that build a strong sense of culture and loyalty. I constantly tinker and I'm always looking to learn something new. With a strong foundation in engineering fundamentals and an ability to quickly adapt to new technologies, I'm always excited to attack a new problem.
Specialties: C#, WPF, Java, Linux, CLI, C++, C, API development, Usability, User Experience, Embedded Development, FPGA Development
Staff Engineer @ - API Architect for Hightail's next-generation, collaboration-based, file sharing service named Hightail Spaces. Involved in project from conception to release while taking part in all aspects of development. API developed with Java and Dropwizard.io. Front-end integration with Angular JS. Release management with AWS, Opsworks, and Chef. Monitoring with logstash, elastic search, Kibana, and New Relic.
- Architected an ACL-based, hierarchical privilege system for managing internal permissions and user features. Backed by Amazon RDS. Cached by Redis. Provides a flexible and powerful method for managing privileges and connections between Users, Groups, Organizations, and all of their shared data.
- Architected a scalable, MQ-based auditing system to capture any potentially important events occurring throughout the platform. These events are readily consumed for data warehouse storage or business analysis and reports.
- Developed a suite of secure, segregated APIs for customer support and system administration. These endpoints fully leverage the existing API codebase while providing full ACL-based security and network-based isolation.
- Architected a new multi-platform, highly performant, desktop sync client application using Xamarin c#. Provided a feature-rich experience on both OSX and Windows while maintaining a native look and feel.
- Developed a server-side system for migrating massive amounts of user workspace data from a legacy mysql-based system to a newly architected Cassandra-based cluster.
- Developed a scalable preview/thumbnail generation engine to convert images, documents, and media files into sized, optimized, viewable assets for web and mobile. From September 2013 to Present (2 years 3 months) San Francisco Bay AreaFounder, Lead Developer @ Developed a web-based system to handle online meet registration of track, cross-country, and swimming meets. Currently provides services for over 4,000 colleges and high school athletic teams. From April 2001 to Present (14 years 8 months) Syracuse, New York AreaPrincipal Engineering Contractor @ - Noatta uses a highly accurate and secure contact-less vein pattern imaging technology to create a wallet-free identification and payment platform
- Primary engineer for front-end engineer
- Primary engineer for back-end using Java, Dropwizard.io, and MySQL.
- Primary OPS developer using AWS, Opsworks, Chef, Bitbucket, and Codeship.io
- Event-driven architecture for interfacing with native imaging libraries over JNI From January 2013 to October 2013 (10 months) San Francisco Bay AreaFront-End Engineering Contractor @ - Helped develop the initial web application using backbone.js
- Designed primary client interfaces helping the company land an initial funding round
- Currently in production in multiple countries and languages. The system is designed to scale in transaction rate, concurrent client sessions and supports multiple multilingual interfaces. From January 2013 to October 2013 (10 months) Greater New York City AreaPrincipal Front-End Engineer @ - Principal engineer for all front-end aspects of the product
- Responsible for the look and feel of the product, along with UX and workflows
- Responsible for web front-end; developed in java, swing, jstl, and jquery
- Responsible for the client front-end; developed in java and swing
- Responsible for all graphical development of the product; including icon creation, artwork creation, and graphical marketing content.
- Contributed to full stack development; including storage layers, service layers, security layers, and web layers
- Contributed to product messaging, marketing, and planning
- Used method injection techniques to integrate with the Mac OS X Finder and create an icon overlay system that represents the cloud status of files From May 2012 to September 2013 (1 year 5 months) Senior Software Engineer @ - Java,C++,and Linux developer on the Session Trace mobile assurance application From March 2011 to May 2012 (1 year 3 months) Colorado Springs, Colorado AreaCo-Founder and VP Engineering @ - Developed 802.15.4-based networking technology for low-power, low-cost, distributed wireless networks.
- Served as software architect for a java-centric software platform that provided developers a seamless way to develop distributed applications across low-power devices. From November 2010 to November 2011 (1 year 1 month) Greater Boston AreaComputer Engineer @ - Principle developer of the next generation Protocol Viewer for the PCI Express 3.0 Protocol Analyzer
- Developed a multi-threaded, performance-oriented viewer for protocol and packet data utilizing the latest .NET, C#, and WPF technologies
- Developed frameworks with C++/CLI technologies to enable the use managed C#/WPF code within the boundaries and architecture of the existing native application, providing pathways to future development
- Pursued and prototyped new ideas and concepts that ended up on the product roadmap
- Acted as interim Technical Marketing Engineer, providing field support for customer turn-ons and identifying solutions to minimize common early customer issues
- Acted as defect coordinator, refining the process for handling incoming bugs and defects among the product line From July 2008 to March 2011 (2 years 9 months) Software Engineer / Researcher @ Worked with a team of 10 engineers to develop a fully autonomous vehicle capable of navigating urban traffic in the 2007 DARPA Urban Challenge. Developed a terrain estimation application for a rear, downward-facing LIDAR scanner. Created a system to survey and map road networks and testing sites for autonomous driving. From February 2007 to January 2008 (1 year) Desktop Support Representative - ITS Desktop Support @ Assisted faculty and staff with computer related issues throughout campus. Provided hardware, software, and network troubleshooting. From August 2002 to April 2007 (4 years 9 months) Hardware Engineering Intern - Custom Product Development @ Developed an HDL test bench to verify timing and functionality of a client's FPGA design. Developed a suite of scripts to assist in data mining and processing of radar logs. Created a web interface to simultaneously monitor the status of an array of radar systems. From April 2005 to July 2005 (4 months) Hardware Engineering Intern - Air Defense Systems @ Reverse engineered legacy hardware schematics for VHDL implementation with FPGAs. Developed tools to create black box VHDL code from existing legacy wire files. Designed unit and acceptance tests for near-production radar systems presentation to clients. From April 2004 to November 2004 (8 months)
Master of Science (M.S.), Computer Engineering @ Rochester Institute of Technology From 2006 to 2008 Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Computer Engineering @ Rochester Institute of Technology From 2002 to 2006 Michael Kurdziel is skilled in: Java, AngularJS, Embedded Systems, C, C++, Linux, C#, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Software Engineering, Unix, Agile Methodologies, Objective-C, jQuery, C++/CLI, WPF
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension