I love building things. I always have.
My father worked in construction, and I spent much of my youth on the job site. At home, I could often be found hammering away in
I love building things. I always have.
My father worked in construction, and I spent much of my youth on the job site. At home, I could often be found hammering away in my little shop. About a year and a half ago, I had the epiphany that with software development, I could build creative and powerful programs with more brains than brawn. Since that day, I have worked after hours to develop my skills, and I left a comfortable job at the UW to follow my dream of becoming a professional developer.
Passion for the craft of software development
Dedication to developing software based around customer satisfaction
Eagerness to confront challenges and prove myself in a new career
Acumen for creating positive relationships and cultivating a team-oriented environment
NOTABLE PROJECTS (see http://github.com/mmerkes for source code)
MyNeighbor (private repo)
• App designed to lead local sharing economy currently preparing for beta launch, with a Node, Restify, MongoDB back-end, and Angularjs, Apache Cordova, and Ionic front-end
Educational GitHub Repos: noob-series
• JS library clones for educating beginners, including a promise library (noob_pact), a functional library (noobjs_funk), and a data structures/algorithms library (noob_algos)
Numerous other projects available on GitHub
• Work with CTO to design and build a RESTful back-end service built with Nodejs, Restify, MongoDB (with Mongoose), as well as other libraries, and utilize third-party services like Mailgun, mobile push notification, Twilio, AWS, Google BigQuery, etc.
• Write robust service tests, unit and integration, using Mocha, Chai, Sinon, Supertest, etc.
• Share deployment and DB management responsibilities with CTO
• Build and enhance features on front-end application, using the Angular framework, Apache Cordova, Ionic framework, among others From May 2014 to Present (1 year 8 months) Greater Seattle AreaFull-stack Software Engineer (SDE2) @ Our POC team builds new tools for In-Store Sales Associates and develops full-stack with NodeJS and Angular, as well as whatever tools we need for the job. Also, serve as the team AWS dev ops expert. From September 2014 to December 2014 (4 months) Greater Seattle AreaGrant & Contract Manager @ • Assist faculty in applying for millions of dollars in grants and contracts annually, including preparing budgets and meeting sponsor requirements
• Navigate federal regulations for sponsored agreements as well as any foundation or other organization while ensuring compliance requirements are met
• Manage day-to-day responsibilities on sponsored agreements, including projecting expenses, reviewing compliance issues, etc.
• Review all grants, contracts, and budgets routing through the department From February 2012 to February 2014 (2 years 1 month) Greater Seattle AreaVolunteer - English Teacher and Trainer @ • Lived in a small, beduin village teaching English to under-served children and worked with Jordanian English teachers to improve English proficiency and to adopt modern teaching methods
• Offered teacher training to teachers in the region and provided English classes and other community development work within the village
• Initiated cultural exchange and understanding between Jordanians and Americans From 2009 to 2011 (2 years) Financial Assistant II @ • Assisted the administrative officer and fiscal officer in managing day-to-day financial operations of the department, including general, discretionary and research accounts
• Processed transactions such as credit card verification, journal vouchers, accounts payable, requests for payment and travel reimbursements, while assuring that transactions met federal and MIT/Harvard standards
• Solved problems and investigated discrepancies in accounts, communicated with faculty and other departments, institutions, and companies on a daily basis
• Pulled data from MIT and Harvard systems to create financial analysis and reporting, and prepared professional documents when needed From July 2007 to August 2009 (2 years 2 months) Greater Boston Area
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension