Member investment committee @ Dr. C de Langen Stichting supporting global fight against Tuberculosis
Investment mangement and Pension fund consultant @ Marcel Blom
Artist @ Marcel Blom
- The analysis of the developments in the financial markets on behalf of investors. Consequently, determining the possible scenarios and their risks for the portfolios. The translation of the analysis in investment advice and strategies, with a broad attention for possible adverse outcomes. Having a good judgement in that process between the more rational reasons and the
- The analysis of the developments in the financial markets on behalf of investors. Consequently, determining the possible scenarios and their risks for the portfolios. The translation of the analysis in investment advice and strategies, with a broad attention for possible adverse outcomes. Having a good judgement in that process between the more rational reasons and the behavioural aspects that are at play;
- Advise on the overall strategic allocation, risk profiles, adding investment categories, also within an ALM framework;
- The selection, monitoring and if necessary firing of asset management organisations in the field of fiduciary management, asset allocation, equities, bonds, real estate and alternatives (or sub classes within one of the categories). While doing so having a particular eye for the risks involved (risks within the investment process, operational risks, legal risks, outsourcing risks etc.) and the development of control measures;
- The development, introduction and execution of investment processes, often within a broader team;
- Monitoring and guidance of transitions between complete pension fund mandates as well as segregated accounts;
- Operating in a client- and human-oriented way.
Investment and Pension consultant @ On a project basis or ad interim at institutional organisations, judgement of investment proposals and/or processes, the selection of external managers or participating in the development of the strategic set-up at the client:
- At ASN Bank, a Dutch bank with a clear sustainable mission, I am functioning as an interim at the department of Investments:
-- as Senior manager of the ASN Novib Microcredit fund (Oct 2014 - present) and;
-- as Senior manager of the umbrella fund ASN Beleggingsfondsen NV (global equities, bonds, small & midcaps and water & environmental funds) (Oct 2014 - Sept 2015).
Quite unique in the Netherlands ASN Bank decided not to keep its license under AIFMD but selected ACTIAM as its AIF manager. The transit to the new set up between the departments at ASN Bank and ACTIAM, with a clear interpretation of the new roles, is central to this assignment. Moreover, there is a close cooperation with the department for sustainable research at ASN Bank as the criteria of ASN limit the investable universe to a significant extent;
- Some smaller assignments. From January 2014 to Present (2 years) Artist @ As an autodidact painter I create works inspired by my surroundings which are subjects that have touched my inner self, either based on landscapes or portraits. How to blend different images/techniques into one compelling structure has been a driving force throughout the years.
I have had expositions at Maria Challioux (February 2009, 'Minimentaal'), the Faculty of Dentistry at the Radboud University of Nijmegen (March - June 2010) and other smaller venues.
My works are in the possession of a number of collectioners. From May 2008 to Present (7 years 8 months) Nijmegen Area, NetherlandsSenior Strategist/Researcher @ My role was that of senior strategist as well as intended ‘primus inter pares’ within the team, the latter with the aim to help shape the direction of the department of Strategy. Together with the head of the department and two other senior colleagues I provided for the planning of the processes and projects at the department Strategy.
I was responsible for the coordination and steering of the activities with regards to the field of defining and innovating the investment cases of the various mandates and the relationship with the Asset Management department within PGGM (amongst others by participating at the investment committee of the Asset management department). Because the biggest client had redefined its investment beliefs this required for a number of important investment cases (e.g. social responsible investing in equities, hedge funds and private equity) to be revised. From January 2013 to December 2013 (1 year) Investment and Pension consultant @ On a project basis or ad interim at institutional organisations, judgement of investment proposals and/or processes, the selection of external managers or participating in the development of the strategic set-up at the client:
- At ING Investment Management, functioned as an interim at the department of Strategic Advice (for pension funds and smaller insurers) to determine the optimal strategic allocation for clients and proposing strategic hedges. Bridging the period until the start of the new team and helping the new head of the team get started (2009);
- For an American asset manager, I have assisted in the approach to attract mandates as a third party provider to the Dutch market;
- From the end of 2009 I have associated myself with Avida International. Avida International is specialised in optimising the risk and investment management activities for institutional investors. Their clients are multinational organisations who seek to optimise their pension activities. Other clients include industry wide pension funds and institutions
-- My expertise is used with the selection and/or procurement of fiduciary asset and/or risk management mandates for pension funds
-- Furthermore, assisting in the gap analysis between the investment beliefs and the control structure at pension funds.This has led to more simple and cheaper fee structures for the fiduciary services;
-- Continuously monitoring the developments at and qualities of fiduciary providers by being in contact with the providers;
-- For international multi management organisations assess the qualities and advise on the possibilities and strategies to enter/service the Dutch fiduciary market in comparison to peers;
-- Contributing to the acquisition of new clients.
- Moreover I have contact with members of a number of investment advice committees of pension funds. On a case by case basis, I advise the members on the (allocation) proposals that are presented to the committee by the fiduciary provider. From May 2008 to December 2012 (4 years 8 months) Head of Fund Management @ As Head Fund Management I headed the team of four Fund Managers, part of the department Investments. The team is responsible for the investment pools for participating pension funds (amongst others the KLM pension funds). The activities of the Fund Management team consist of tactical asset allocation, selection, monitoring and if necessary firing of external managers for the various asset classes (equities, fixed income, real estate and alternatives). Moreover the team is responsible for derivates trades (currency and inflation hedges), cash management, bank selection and transition management. From May 2006 to April 2008 (2 years) Owner @ In this studio I organized small expositions of lesser known artists, amongst others shows of work by Edgar Del Canto from Chile, Peter Mayoh of the UK, Arjaan Eilander and last but not least myself. Moreover for the Rainbow foundation I held a special exposition of photo's made by drug addicts in 2000. From January 2000 to December 2007 (8 years) Portfolio manager Fund of Funds @ As portfoliomanager I was responsible for the allocation decisions and fund selection for MeesPierson Strategy, an umbrella fund of funds in equity and fixed income funds. Moreover I was portfoliomanager of the MeesPierson Specials Fund Real Estate, which combined listed real estate funds with unlisted private real estate vehicles. On top of that I advised a number of large Dutch foundations on their strategic asset allocation and with the selection of their external investment managers. From April 2004 to March 2006 (2 years) Senior Strategist/ Head of Strategy/ Head of Portfolio Management @ At the start of my career at MeesPierson the company was introducing a new investment process in which all advisers, asset managers and researchers were participating: a polder in itself. I helped in setting up the process and streamlining the steps ahead. During the next years the organisation grew due to M&A (especially the take over of Generale Bank) into an international Private Bank with an international investment process. While this construction was going on clients had to get an investment strategy, strategic profiles and tactical advice. Presentations were given (e.g. about the inttroduction of the euro etc). Markets were volatile, from the crisis in Emerging markets to the internet bonanza, followed by a collapse and the hit on the Twin towers on 9/11 and the subsequent recovery. I was responsible for determining allocation for clients and setting up standardized example equity portfolios for clients. I headed as head of Strategy a team of 4 people and as head of portfolio management 3 portfolio managers. From December 1996 to September 2003 (6 years 10 months) Economist/ Strategist @ At the beginning of 1991 Rabobank and Robeco established a joint venture, called IRIS, to find out whether or not there was ground for future collaboration. In this joint venture all research activities were put together for the respective client groups, among others the economy/strategy department from Robeco. Shortly after I joined this team, fresh from University. As an economist I first focussed on Germany, which was an interesting case having just gone through the unification process. My first big success was to predict the interest rate cut by the Bundesbank in September 1992, which was a direct result of the break down of the EMS but was also necessary to keep the competitive position of Germany which had been eroded by unification. I broadened my experience with writing studies on Belgium, Sweden, Japan, South East Asia and Korea. Moreover I modelled interest rates and exchange rates on the basis of economic data and introduced capital flows into the models. I learned how investors at Robeco and clients from Rabobank used the inputs and learned about the invest processes;
During 3 years the team regularly wrote a column in ESB (Economic Statistcal Messages); From June 1991 to November 1996 (5 years 6 months)
Masters, Econometrics @ Rijksuniversiteit Groningen From 1986 to 1991 Rijksscholengemeenschap Zwolle From 1980 to 1986 Marcel Blom is skilled in: Asset Management, Portfolio Management, Investments, Financial Markets, Equities, Asset Allocation, Investment Strategies, Risk Management, Fixed Income, Asset Managment, Management, Hedge Funds, Pension Funds, Mutual Funds, Mergers & Acquisitions
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension