Quality focused software engineer with seven years of professional development experience. Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate exceptionally on projects with a multitude of giver and taker dependencies. Strengths include strong problem solving skills, analytical design approach and passion for writing efficient code. Looking for opportunities to bring to life innovative and high quality software in the
Quality focused software engineer with seven years of professional development experience. Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate exceptionally on projects with a multitude of giver and taker dependencies. Strengths include strong problem solving skills, analytical design approach and passion for writing efficient code. Looking for opportunities to bring to life innovative and high quality software in the greater Seattle area. Professional development experience in:
• Mobile application development
• Game development
• Mobile operating system development
• User experience design and implementation
• Cross platform test framework development (UI and API level)
• Software development kit (SDK) development
Programming Languages: C, C++, C#, Java, LUA, Perl
App SDKs: Android, Silverlight, Splash, Windows & Windows Phone App, XNA Game Studio
Automation SDKs: Appium, Selenium, TestNG, JUnit, SplaTK (Windows Phone)
• Setup Wizard - Windows Phone 8.1 OS
• Retail Demo - Windows Phone 8 OS
• Microsoft Give Campaign app - Windows Phone 7/8 app
• App & game SDK - Zune HD
• All Zune & Zune HD apps & games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zune_Apps) - Zune/Zune HD
Software Development Engineer @ Currently working within the Advertising Platform QA organization as a tools developer.
• Automated previewing Kindle LCD ads for approval in a production environment, effectively saving 5 minutes of manual work per device type per ad.
• Added functionality to an Android test app to modify ads and limited time offers during ad ingestion as well as after the ad is on the device. This functionality has been used by designers to preview new ads, developers to debug and diagnose the Kindle Special Offers platform and SDETs to automate functional tests for the Kindle Special Offers platform.
• Created a page model based test framework utilizing Selenium from scratch for an unannounced new browser experience.
• Created a test framework and automated test cases to integration test a web service that authenticates and delivers third party ads to Fire TV devices.
• Championed code quality and diagnosability within existing test code by enforcing no issues found by static code analysis in order to build code, by standardizing logging and test reports across code within the team, and by creating code standards and code formatters to enforce them.
• To support regression tests for a critical metrics issue for the ad database backend platform, I created a tool which would connect to server hosts and search for specific patterns within various logs.
• Ramped up on technologies quickly and effectively including Java, Android SDK, Appium, Selenium, Apache Ant, TestNG as well as a bevy of internal Amazon tools and SDKs. From December 2014 to Present (1 year 1 month) Software Engineer @ Worked in the Mobile Shell team of the Windows Phone organization and was responsible for the setup wizard, the retail demo experience and additionally worked on converging Start tile templates between Mobile and Desktop versions of Windows.
• Made significant improvements to the setup wizard automation libraries and test code to increase execution and deploy performance, improve test reliability, improve logging and reduce code duplication by utilizing object oriented design and inheritance.
• Created a framework to handle page navigations during the setup wizard efficiently. It allowed consumers of the automation library to walk to any page from any page without relying on the order of the pages. This allowed us to make several changes to various points of the setup wizard in a single release with less risk of breaking existing automation and critical quality gates that depend on the setup wizard libraries.
• Added instrumentation to Start in order to answer business questions regarding the usage of tiles and applications. Helped design and implement a shared instrumentation library and API set that will be used by Windows and Windows Phone.
• Utilized white box testing and found several intricate and unique bugs. My code reviews became a respected quality gate by management and the development team.
• Created an automation library for Retail Demo to abstract away complex scenario details and allow partner teams to automate their scenarios with 2 lines of code. Received positive feedback from every team that used the library. From December 2011 to September 2014 (2 years 10 months) Software Engineer at Microsoft @ Worked on the Zune team and owned both the private and public XNA Game APIs and later worked on all 67 of the apps and games released on the Zune and Zune HD platforms.
• Coordinated first and third party app and game development for the Zune HD. Wrote several apps and games as well as polished and completed app and game prototypes built by others. Fixed bugs and answered questions about Zune XNA development for our third party apps and games.
• Gave technical interviews to expand the team and trained the candidate that I recommended who was hired.
• Defined and coordinated test cases and test passes between an internal test resource and an external manual test team in order to efficiently assess the quality of our apps and games and sign off to ship applications.
• Built and utilized native APIs, LUA scripts and a C# app to get daily automation coverage for ad hoc networking scenarios for up to 8 Zune HD devices and gather data regarding packet loss, ping and general Wi-Fi driver reliability.
• Developed several C# test apps to verify Zune HD XNA game features including 3D graphics, web request and response, download to file, multi-touch, accelerometer, ad hoc networking, audio playback and file IO.
• Created a library to centralize input, menus, and saving/loading across multiple projects that reduced code duplication and improved the efficiency of test app development. From June 2008 to December 2011 (3 years 7 months) Student @ From September 2004 to April 2008 (3 years 8 months)
BS in Real Time Interactive Simulation, Computer Science @ Digipen Institute of Technology From 2004 to 2008 Josh Sturm is skilled in: C#, Visual Studio, Software Design, C++, Gameplay, Video Games, Testing, Game Development, Programming, Test Automation, Software Development, Mobile Applications, XNA, Automation, Test Planning
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension