I work with people and organizations to grow communities that drive strategic business and personal goals. As the first employee of coworking pioneer NextSpace, I was tasked with bringing the founder’s vision of a profit-based coworking company to life. Among the members, I championed community and collaboration as both an agent of social change and a driver
I work with people and organizations to grow communities that drive strategic business and personal goals. As the first employee of coworking pioneer NextSpace, I was tasked with bringing the founder’s vision of a profit-based coworking company to life. Among the members, I championed community and collaboration as both an agent of social change and a driver of business strategy. As the Chief Community Officer of NextSpace, I helped grow the company from an idea to nine locations – and counting. My primary role was to communicate and instill the organization’s culture in each new location. My guidance helped the staff develop vibrant communities, push the definition of collaboration, and convey the culture to visitors and prospective new employees. As part of an amazing team, I helped build NextSpace Coworking into one of the most successful coworking companies in the world. Along the way, I co-founded the two coworking industry associations, LExC and COSHARE, and co-developed industry specific events including leading the unconference at GCUC for two years.
At my core I am passionate about creating authentic relationships and have over 20 years connecting people and building community. As a team builder I am adept at identifying the unique talents of each individual and helping them put that to use to maximize their addition to the organization.
My expertise includes:
Coworking Staff, Community and Facilities Management; Driving Growth with Strategic Community Building; Leading Distributed, Cross-Functional Teams; 6+ Years of Skills, Career and Talent Coaching; Team Building and Hiring Best Practices; Collaborative Decision Making; Motivational Leadership; Coaching in Effective Communication and Conflict Resolution; Meeting Facilitation; Program & Project Management
My training includes:
Positive Discipline, Effective Meeting Facilitation, Non Violent Communication, The Collaborative Operating System (COS)
Chief Community Officer @ • Reported directly to the CEO
• Served on Executive Management Team
• Responsible for Culture, Talent, Training and Product Management
• Led NextSpace in scaling from 4-9 locations
• Increased staff from 15 in 2012 to 35 in 2014
• Increased membership from 700 in 2012 to 1500 in 2014
• Developed a distinct hiring system based on NextSpace's unique culture, allowing me to source the uniquely talented people who fostered high member engagement, satisfaction and loyalty
• Sourced, hired and managed relationship with Trinet, a third party HR partner
• Maintained HR policies in compliance with State and Federal labor regulations
• Developed and implemented policies and procedures for a competitive employee benefits and incentives package including: generous paid time off, bereavement leave, maternity/paternity/disability leave, and standardized yearly cost of living salary increase for all employees
• Worked directly with Finance to facilitate salary and payroll changes
• Maintained a highly engaged workforce, handling personnel issues quickly, adeptly and with an attitude of win-win outcomes for all concerned
• Developed training programs and tools which led new recruits through a step-by-step 12-month training protocol including community management, marketing, team building and facilities management
• Developed and coordinated team off sites, training sessions, and 3-4 day training bootcamps for new recruits.
• Led cross-functional team in launching NextSpace's operations manual, including over 600 pages of best practices, procedures and reference materials
• Created the "10 Core Values" of the NextSpace Experience- the backbone of the team training and member retention plan
• Provided training, support and guidance to the team in how to manage community issues with a customer centric mindset while also keeping the needs of the business paramount From February 2012 to December 2014 (2 years 11 months) Community Curator @ • Reported directly to the CEO
• Led the team in expanding from 1-4 locations
• As employee number one, I created the standards in Community Management that became the NextSpace brand and product which was experienced by 1500 members during my tenure
• Provided strategy for positioning and growth
• Handled day to day operations for Santa Cruz location
• Trained staff on operations as new locations were opened
• Created documentation of operational procedures for facilities management and management of members' data
• Created operational procedures for scaling
• Concepted, architected and led the internal team in the development of the proprietary Membership Management Operation and Organization System Enterprise (MOOSE)
• Created content for blogs, newsletters and PR
• Developed and maintained social media channels for corporate brand
• Acted as connector and liaison between members and my outside connections. Helped them build relationships which resulted in new companies forming and increased business for existing companies
• Developed member programming and events geared towards helping members grow their businesses
• Spoke on panels about Coworking and the future of work and the workplace
Working in collaboration with the City of Santa Cruz, University of California at Santa Cruz I managed planning and logistics for the four part speakers series, What's Next Lectures.
• Venue sourcing
• Crew sourcing
• Event marketing
• Day of logistics & event management
• Intern and volunteer staff supervision
Served as Conference Director for Freelance Camp, a series of BarCamp style unconferences.
• Funding and budgets
• Marketing, PR and outreach to City Governments
• Volunteer staff supervision
• Led unconferences From February 2009 to January 2012 (3 years) Wrangler @ • Reported directly to the President
• Successfully built and managed diverse, cross-functional teams specific to the needs of each individual client and project
• Responsible for general operations including recruiting, hiring, business development and vendor management
• Deployed and managed software including Basecamp, Copperproject and Google Apps
• Built strong and lasting relationships with our clients, effectively leading communication through entire project cycle, resulting in repeat projects and retainers
• Worked with diverse clientele including divisions of Microsoft, Metacafe, Plantronics, Castle and Cooke, Lumenis and the City of Santa Cruz.
• Led projects from inception through completion of project deliverables
• Provided strategy and concepts for branding, identity, print and web projects
• Used Adobe Creative Suite products including Photoshop, In Design and Illustrator to create proposals and make production edits From October 2006 to January 2009 (2 years 4 months) Studio Manager @ Project Management
Client Liason From June 2002 to April 2003 (11 months) Theater Professional @ As a an independent contractor and W2 overhire, I worked for several Bay Area theatrical staging companies as well as IATSE Local 134 in San Jose and Local 611 in Santa Cruz.
While my main work was as a production assistant/crew lead and theater electrician, I also worked as a stitcher- creating costumes and drops as well as drapes. I worked in house for both Musson Theatrical in Santa Clara and Holtzmueller in San Francisco.
At Musson I focused on installation of theatrical lighting systems for the sales teams, mainly in schools and corporate campuses as well as building new lighting fixtures, staging wings/walls and drapes.
At Holtzmueller I ran the in-house repair department, handling all electrical repairs of lighting and effects equipment. In addition, I filled orders for the sales team by hiring and leading the crew responsible for prepping new lighting fixtures, dimmers and distribution panels. I was promoted to shop manager, where I was in charge of the entire shop, including the crew, fulfilling all orders and maintenance for the fleet of company work vehicles. From January 1992 to January 2000 (8 years 1 month) San Francisco Bay Area
Dance @ Cornish College of the Arts From 1989 to 1991 Dance @ Cornish College of the Arts Iris Kavanagh is skilled in: Social Networking, Social Media, Social Media Marketing, Coaching, Start-ups, Leadership, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Employee Learning & Development, Employee Training, Hiring Practices, Strategic Hiring, Entrepreneurship, Event Planning, Blogging, Management