Technical Program Manager, Oracle Public Cloud Infrastructure Team @
Technical Program Manager III, Site Reliability Engineering @ Google
Technical Program Manager II, Site Reliability Engineering @ Google
MBA, Technology Management @
University of Washington, Michael G. Foster School of Business
Technology leader with fifteen years of experience in managing the technology and personnel associated with large-scale IT installations. Brings a returns-focused approach to the deployment and maintenance of computer infrastructure and a proven ability to communicate effectively with all types of personnel at all levels of the organization. Well-positioned to serve as an IT subject matter expert
Technology leader with fifteen years of experience in managing the technology and personnel associated with large-scale IT installations. Brings a returns-focused approach to the deployment and maintenance of computer infrastructure and a proven ability to communicate effectively with all types of personnel at all levels of the organization. Well-positioned to serve as an IT subject matter expert to executives and other key stakeholders. Areas of expertise include:
* Operational risk management
* IT personnel and project management
* Design, acquisition, implementation, and maintenance of scalable systems
* Retrospective and predictive analytics
* Deep technical background with an emphasis on enterprise data center technologies
Technical Program Manager, Oracle Public Cloud Infrastructure Team @ Product Area Owner for the machine lifecycle across the entire IaaS group. From April 2015 to Present (9 months) Greater Seattle AreaTechnical Program Manager III, Site Reliability Engineering @ Promoted in recognition of performance in TPM II role. Continued duties listed below.
* Developed growth model for a major GCE networking component.
* Rightsized component on the basis of the growth model, resulting in a substantial reduction in required resources and associated OpEx savings of ~$400k / Q.
* Developed methodology for simulating demand behavior across multi-datacenter regions to ensure conformance with regional SLAs. From November 2014 to April 2015 (6 months) Greater Seattle AreaTechnical Program Manager II, Site Reliability Engineering @ Capacity planner for Google Compute Engine (GCE) and senior TPM for GCE's Site Reliability Engineering team. Hands-on role with heavy involvement in daily operations in addition to focus on placement and growth of GCE's footprint. Primary duties included development of capacity projections, monitoring/improvement of resource yield, and serving as GCE's representative on the team responsible for developing Cloud's long-term strategy.
* Oversaw expansion of GCE footprint during period of rapid (~500% annually) growth.
* Developed capacity models for VM-serving systems at both the data-center and regional level, resulting in better resource management (fewer instances of excess or insufficient capacity) and associated improvement in revenues and expenses.
* Performed comprehensive audit of overheads associated with GCE platform and developed recommendations for prioritization of improvement efforts based on likely yield.
* Implemented dashboards for reporting on VM supply, demand, and resource yield.
* Responsible for training junior TPM hired in Q4 of 2014. From January 2014 to November 2014 (11 months) Greater Seattle AreaLead Solutions Consultant @ Principle pre-sales engineer. Served as technical lead and customer point of contact for proof-of-value engagements. Responsible for identifying tractable business problems, translating them into predictive modeling problems, identifying the necessary training data, and implementing the associated modeling workflows. Secondary duties include partner management, development of marketing collateral and internal documentation, and evaluation of the predictive modeling system against customer use cases. From January 2013 to January 2014 (1 year 1 month) Greater Seattle AreaSenior Technical Sales Engineer @ Senior technical resource supporting Redapt's inside and outside sales teams. Served as subject matter expert for big data, high-performance computing, virtualization, storage, and bare-metal management. Secondary duties included partner selection/vetting, development of marketing collaterals, ongoing refinement of delivery process, and public speaking engagements. From July 2012 to December 2012 (6 months) Systems Engineer @ Pre-sales engineer for the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, Western Canada, and Latin America.
* Provided technical support to Sales Managers during the sales cycle.
* Provided post-sales consulting and support to customers. From January 2011 to July 2012 (1 year 7 months) Director of Technical Operations @ Head of 5to1's Seattle office. Led 7-person engineering team tasked with the development, testing, and operationalization of company's software and supporting infrastructure. Primary duties included directing the development cycle, assisting the lead developer with system architecture, and deploying/maintaining 5to1's production environment. Corporate subject matter expert on Linux, cloud-based computing, reporting/analytics, and database design.
* Worked with the San Francisco business office to gather user requirements and identify specific deliverables for each development iteration.
* Moderated initial planning session for each iteration.
* Determined iteration schedule in conjunction with development and QA leads.
* Provided architectural advice and consent during design and implementation phases.
* Deployed and maintained finished product and supporting infrastructure.
* Provided operational support to development and QA teams as needed. From February 2010 to January 2011 (1 year) Manager, Production Operations @ Promoted to Manager in recognition of continued outstanding service. Continued duties listed below.
* Grew Production Operations team from 8 to 11 members.
* Achieved key objective of having redundant coverage across all application support areas.
* Instituted regular reporting on capital and operating expenditures originating within the Technical Operations Department (TechOps).
* Worked in conjunction with the Director of TechOps and outside consultants to rightsize Marchex’s Seattle data center:
** Developed cost-allocation model for space, power, and network connectivity chargebacks.
** Applied model to Seattle DC, revealing significant underutilization of space and power and highlighting areas where consolidation could produce substantial cost savings. From August 2009 to February 2010 (7 months) Lead, Production Operations @ Role expanded to cover all product sets following corporate-wide reorganization. Managed 8-person team of mid- to senior-level system engineers who maintained Marchex’s customer-facing systems. Responsible for operational prioritization, resource allocation, and long-term planning across all revenue-generating infrastructure as well as career development of direct reports. Acted as the primary liaison between Production Operations and other departments. Served as the formal mentor to all members of the Problem Management team and as an informal mentor to all technical staff.
* Worked with Director of Technical Operations to rebuild department following reorganization:
** Instituted a capability management model for operations staffing to increase efficiency and ensure appropriate coverage of key functional areas.
** Wrote comprehensive description of positions and career paths across entire Technical Operations department.
* Reduced ad-hoc requests, increased efficiency, and promoted long-term planning by designing formal engagement process for new projects.
* Worked with the Lead of Problem Management team to revise internal quality controls and escalation procedures to align with new organizational structure.
* Instituted a formal mentorship program for members of the Problem Management team to accelerate their technical development. From March 2009 to August 2009 (6 months) Technical Operations Lead, Local Search and Directories @ Headed four-person team which maintained Marchex Inc.’s public-facing search and directory web sites. Responsible for operational prioritization, resource allocation, and long-term planning with for all infrastructure associated with these sites. Primary architectural consultant to the Publishing development teams.
* Spearheaded effort to upgrade and re-architect PHP web farm for improved maintainability and uptime.
* Designed hardware architecture for next-generation local search platform. From August 2008 to March 2009 (8 months) Senior System Engineer, Infrastructure and Shared Services @ Corporate subject matter expert on storage area networks (SANs), virtualization, and backup/archiving/disaster recovery. Role focused on administration of corporate SANs and virtual environments. Secondary duties included all aspects of administering Marchex’s 500+ Linux servers and supporting infrastructure.
* Designed a new, corporate-wide, multi-site backup system. Led all aspects of the process including gathering business requirements, developing functional specifications, generating the RFP, evaluating vendor proposals, and final vendor selection.
* Rebuilt and rationalized Xen infrastructure used to support development and QA environments. Developed standard dom0 images and automated the deployment of Xen virtual machines with the end result that a new virtual machine could be provisioned in about 1.5 minutes.
* Worked in conjunction with the Senior Oracle DBA to design a scalable hardware architecture to support the rapid deployment of multiple development/QA Oracle instances.
* Conducted initial research and system prototyping for the use of VMware in development and QA. From November 2007 to August 2008 (10 months) Technical Team Lead/Matrix Team @ Corporate subject matter expert on Linux. Provided advanced break/fix and deployment services to Dell’s customers. Served as Tier 2 support and informal mentor for junior engineers. Regularly called upon to intervene during engagements that were judged by management to be at risk of failure.
* Promoted to Technical Team Lead in recognition of depth of skill set and demonstrated willingness and ability to mentor junior team members.
* Promoted to the Matrix Team in recognition of ability to deliver satisfied customers in high complexity/high risk engagements.
* Notable engagements:
** Trained General Dynamics contractors and military personnel at Camp Slayer, Iraq, in the use of their SAN infrastructure.
** Developed and delivered customized training on Linux tape library administration and diagnostics for Wake Forest University at Dell’s request to compensate for inadequate delivery by the engineer previously assigned to the University. From January 2007 to November 2007 (11 months) Storage Engineer @ Provided onsite installation and configuration of Dell|EMC co-branded SANs, Dell server and tape products, and associated software for Linux, Solaris, Windows, and VMware platforms.
* Notable engagements:
** Migrated approximately 20 boot-from-SAN servers and associated data from CX600 to CX500 for Symbol Technologies. Engagement notable for large amount of data (15TB) and complexity of environment (Windows, Linux, Solaris, and VMWare servers).
** Implemented NetBackup environment for Fortunoff Dept. Stores. Engagement notable in terms of size (6 media servers, 60+ clients), client composition (Windows, Linux, OpenVMS, Tru64 Unix), and features deployed (MSSQL, Oracle, and Exchange agents, Bare Metal Restore, Shared Storage Option, SAN Media Server) From June 2005 to January 2007 (1 year 8 months) Consultant @ + Unix/Backup lead for the Xerox GePC, a 300 node, 8x5 data center.
+ Developed and implemented project plan for migration from NetBackup 4.5 to NetBackup 5, including deployment of new master/media server and migration of EMC CLARiiON disk storage to newly deployed server.
+ Designed offsite backup solution using NetBackup Vault and EMC CLARiiON Disk Library to replace tape-based offsite backups.
+ Designed and implemented RedHat Kickstart architecture and KickStart file templates.
+ Developed scripts and supporting documentation for hardening Linux servers to meet Xerox security requirements.
+ Daily duties include Unix server builds, Unix maintenance and troubleshooting, maintenance of backup system, and data center facilities maintenance.
+ Secondary duties include Windows maintenance and troubleshooting and network maintenance and troubleshooting.
+ Provided 24x7 emergency response on a rotating basis. From April 2004 to June 2005 (1 year 3 months) Security Administrator @ Security lead for Charter.net, a high-volume server farm providing email, personal web pages, and DNS to Charter’s customers.
+ Performed risk-analysis on email complex and developed asset protection plan.
+ Developed security policies and produced documentation on those policies.
+ Designed and administered DMZ and enhanced intrusion detection system
+ Designed new firewall architecture to replace aging firewalls.
+ Position required excellent written and verbal communication skills as the technical liaison to the corporate-wide Abuse/Security Team.
+ Secondary duties included network engineering and server administration. From December 2002 to October 2003 (11 months)
Graduate Certificate, Applied Statistics @ Penn State University From 2013 to 2014 MBA, Technology Management @ University of Washington, Michael G. Foster School of Business From 2008 to 2009 BS, Computer Engineering @ Harvey Mudd College From 1996 to 2000 Glenn Gebhart is skilled in: Linux, Perl, Vertica, Hadoop, Network Security, Large Scale Systems, Solution Architecture, Apache, MySQL, Bash, Chef, Technical Writing, Technical Staff Management, Agile Project Management, Fibre Channel
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension