BS, Mechanical Engineering @
Columbia University in the City of New York
Highly skilled software professional with 15 years of experience building complex mission critical distributed systems in Java. Well versed in the entire software development lifecycle from generating new ideas and interacting with customers to developing, testing, and documenting software within small and large teams. Excels in solving tough problems and designing beautiful, high quality code. Accomplished oral
Highly skilled software professional with 15 years of experience building complex mission critical distributed systems in Java. Well versed in the entire software development lifecycle from generating new ideas and interacting with customers to developing, testing, and documenting software within small and large teams. Excels in solving tough problems and designing beautiful, high quality code. Accomplished oral and written communicator in both business and technical environments.
• Co-founded a software company that led its market and gained an exceptional reputation for quality, customer service, and innovation, leading to an acquisition for almost $1 million per employee
• Architected and built market leading server product adopted by hundreds of companies of all sizes to drive their Interactive Voice Response (IVR) needs that collectively handles tens of millions of phone calls daily
• Learned to perform almost every role during the formation of the company from sales, company strategy, software design and development, documentation, training, hiring, and customer support
• Built a smart, motivated business and technical team that worked efficiently with high initiative and low turnover, a major rationale for the acquisition
• Introduced well received innovations in software development methodologies and collaboration to the acquiring company that brought high regard to the team
• Achieved the difficult task of balancing customer requirements with the need for timely delivery to produce all software releases on time, fully tested, and with the best feature set possible
Specialties: Java-based server software, software design, API design, technical documentation, technical customer interaction and troubleshooting, problem solving
Senior Java Engineer @ Working on CLEAR's backend infrastructure to support a rapid expansion of the company. From August 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) Greater New York City AreaSenior Software Engineer @ Full stack developer on software for small businesses using cutting edge tools such as AngularJS and Play in Java and Scala. Major contributor to a new interactive portal for dentists, chiropractors and other segments. Worked in an agile team in an extremely fast-paced, rapidly growing company. From April 2013 to August 2014 (1 year 5 months) Senior Software Engineer @ Building internal tools for the Risk and Compliance groups as well as different trading desks. Bringing market data to applications throughout the firm. From June 2010 to November 2012 (2 years 6 months) Owner @ Software development work for large customers of Audium/Cisco. From 2009 to June 2010 (1 year) Technical Leader @ Cisco Systems acquired my company, Audium, in July/August 2006.
Working in the Contact Center Business Unit (CCBU), part of Voice Technology Group (VTG) building software systems for contact centers including self service (IVR) and call routing software. Primary tasks involve software architecture, programming, and working with the rest of my team to improve software quality, efficiency, and dissemination of knowledge. From August 2006 to 2009 (3 years) Founder / Lead Software Developer @ Typical small company role: a little bit of everything. I helped conceive, design and create a good portion of the Audium software portfolio. I managed the team writing the software. I wrote most of the documentation. I designed a training curriculum and personally trained many of Audium's largest customers. I provided support to customers and partners. As Audium grew I helped transition many of these roles to others. The only thing I did not do was balance the books! From September 1998 to August 2006 (8 years) Software Engineer @ Worked on a project with a division of PriceWaterhouseCoopers to develop simulation visualization technology using OpenGL 3-D graphics technology and client/server communcations technology. Company also developed games. From June 1996 to September 1999 (3 years 4 months) Manufacturing Engineer @ Worked as a manufacturing engineer on projects to improve productivity and organization of textile manufacturing plants. Was responsible for analyzing and recommending the purchase of state-of-the-art automated equipment and designing procedures, incentives, and computer systems for their use. From July 1993 to May 1996 (2 years 11 months)
MS, Mechanical Engineering @ Columbia University in the City of New York From 1992 to 1993 BS, Mechanical Engineering @ Columbia University in the City of New York From 1988 to 1992 H.S. Diploma @ The Calhoun School From 1984 to 1988 Elam Birnbaum is skilled in: Java, Software Development, SDLC, Agile Methodologies, Software Design, Distributed Systems, APIs, Unit Testing, Test Driven Development, SOA, Databases, Spring Integration, AngularJS, Unix, Mac OS X
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension