Product Development Scientist II @ The Clorox Company
Packaging Development Scientist I @ The Clorox Company
As an energetic problem solver, I have passion for developing and implementing innovative packaging solutions. I have extensive hands-on experience across multiple packaging platforms and materials. I take a holistic approach when evaluating material selection and the overall impact to performance, manufacturing, consumer experience, and the environment. As Packaging Developer with The Clorox Company, I brought ideas
As an energetic problem solver, I have passion for developing and implementing innovative packaging solutions. I have extensive hands-on experience across multiple packaging platforms and materials. I take a holistic approach when evaluating material selection and the overall impact to performance, manufacturing, consumer experience, and the environment. As Packaging Developer with The Clorox Company, I brought ideas to life through prototype development, strong supplier relations, production trials, testing, and commercialization.
I excel at working in diverse teams, engaging and enabling members to problem solve and using this as a catalyst for innovative and creative ideas. This strength was demonstrated when leading the Clorox packaging department of 40+ individuals in the cultural shift when moving to a new open seating work environment. Efficient preparation minimized employee down time and ensured a smooth transition.
When I am not working I enjoy planning and participating in Michigan State University Packaging Alumni Association events and activities. I have lead resume review seminars and provided 1:1 coaching for students preparing to enter their professional endeavors.
Supplier Relations - International & Domestic
Consumer Packaged Goods
Point of Purchase Displays
Paper and Fiberboard
Packaging Distribution Testing - ISTA & ASTM
Software - CAPE / TOPS / ArtiosCAD / SolidWorks
Design for Manufacturing
Specification Development / SAP
Certified Packaging Professional (CPP)
Product Development Scientist II @ Functional leader for concept development and commercialization of robust projects focused on Brita pitcher innovations. Ensure products are successfully manufactured within the project timeline while meeting/exceeding quality standards. Provide technical leadership on cross-functional project teams and work closely with Insights, Sales, Marketing, and Leadership Teams to facilitate alignment on key decisions.
-Launched new pitcher which involved qualification of new resin and injection molding tools with international supplier. Used clear and concise communication to manage project deliverables against tight timelines.
- Prototyped and proved concept for new surface texture to reduce blemishes on highly cosmetic pitcher components.
- Developed test protocol to support new claim, critical to differentiate product on shelf for consumers. From June 2014 to Present (1 year 7 months) Packaging Development Scientist I @ Responsible for the design, development, and commercialization of retail packaging component systems for Specialty Division: Food, Litter, Charcoal, and Brita. Provide technical leadership to project teams to implement changes in systems, equipment, and procedures to support commercialization requirements. Integrate appropriate documentation into Product Data Management/SAP specification system.
- Led ISBM bottle lightweight redesign to enable $2-4M cost savings ensuring minimal impact to plant OEE.
- Designed and commercialized point-of-sale displays and club packaging systems for over 60 SKUs.
- Led innovation activities in flexible plastic film packaging to grow foods platform into new categories.
- Identified unmet consumer needs though prototypes development utilizing paperboard, films, and rigid plastics.
- Organized and managed multiple plant trials to launch and commercialize Hidden Valley Sandwich Spreads and Pasta Salads which successfully expanded brand into new categories.
- Executed mold qualifications for glass jars used in Hidden Valley Sandwich Spreads.
- Validated package designs with ISTA and ASTM testing protocols: compression, shock, vibration, abrasion, climate etc.
- Helped build R&D technical capability by leading campus recruiting efforts at MSU. Provide technical lectures when on campus to maintain healthy relationship between Clorox, students, and professors.
- Managed intern for R&D; developed technical and soft skills while advancing key projects.
- Software; Proficient with TOPS unit load optimization software. Functional knowledge of ArtiosCAD. From June 2011 to June 2014 (3 years 1 month) Packaging Intern @ Selected Accomplishments:
- Independently performed packaging testing and worked with customers to detect issues, analyze root cause, and provide solutions through technical report summaries.
- Evaluated diverse products and packaging components to assess performance in distribution environments through laboratory testing. Industries include medical devices, electronics, industrial/automotive, consumer packaged goods, and HAZMAT. From May 2010 to May 2011 (1 year 1 month) Lansing, Michigan AreaPackaging Co-Op @ Selected Accomplishments:
- Helped lead project to eliminate warrantee issues caused during shipment. Provided solutions, costs, and ran line trial to test viable solution. Implementation saves $75K annually in potential warranty part replacement.
- Provided packaging support in a cross-functional group for $20K annual cost savings project.
- Participated in plant reconstruction project: assessed current containers and validated their sequencing and shipment qualifications. From May 2009 to December 2009 (8 months) York, Pennsylvania Area
Bachelor of Science, Packaging @ Michigan State University From 2007 to 2011 Douglas Merian is skilled in: ArtiosCAD, Packaging Engineering, Continuous Improvement, Corrugated, Food Packaging, Packaging, Lean Manufacturing, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Logistics, Consumer Products, R&D, Plastics, Folding Cartons, Process Improvement, SAP, Retail Packaging, Product Development
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension