Category Manager Foodservice /Director of Merchandising @ Stripes /Town & Country Stores
Established Senior Food Service and Operations Management Professional with over 23 years of Marketing, Finance, Planning and Compliance, Supply Chain, Strategic Sourcing, and Category Management expertise. Results-driven Entrepreneur and Visionary with excellent communication and interpersonal skills; a strong emphasis in multi-million dollar Multi-Unit Retail/C-Store Merchandising Operations. Proven history and success increasing profitability, improving performance, and cultivating productivity
Established Senior Food Service and Operations Management Professional with over 23 years of Marketing, Finance, Planning and Compliance, Supply Chain, Strategic Sourcing, and Category Management expertise. Results-driven Entrepreneur and Visionary with excellent communication and interpersonal skills; a strong emphasis in multi-million dollar Multi-Unit Retail/C-Store Merchandising Operations. Proven history and success increasing profitability, improving performance, and cultivating productivity in sensitive, fast paced environments and a highly competitive industry.
Director of Food Service @ Aug 2012 - Oct 2014 Director of Foodservice, CEFCO, Temple, TX
All aspects of Category Management, Restaurant Operations, and Supply Chain.
• Responsible for all Foodservice and Dispensed Beverage categories for 255 store c-store chain including Operations of 98 proprietary and franchise restaurant locations representing $32MM in annual sales and $16MM in gross profit
Grew average per store overall foodservice sales by 10.9% and G.P. per store by 35.5% over the last 21 months with very little capital expenditure.
Improved overall cost support on food purchases from 6% in 2012 to 12% in 2014 through consolidation of suppliers and new strategic agreements with fortune 100 and smaller food and beverage companies
Improved Dispensed Beverage margin over 900 basis points in two years by renegotiating all beverage agreements, taking CEFCO to national account status with syrup companies and purchasing green coffee beans on the commodities market
Created and managed the entire menu spectrum of hot and cold made in store foodservice offerings that were regionally specific, both full service and self-serve, for 75 kitchen locations using technologies ranging from Turbochef to traditional Griddle/Fryer/Oven models
Developed company-wide, twice per week delivered, commissary program including menu, operations training program, and managed project rollout including equipment placement
Took roller grill program from branded to private label through RFP/sampling and changed the entire assortment, increasing sales by nearly 20% and profit by 35% From August 2012 to October 2014 (2 years 3 months) Category Manager Foodservice @ •Aug 2010 - Feb 2012 Category Manager, Foodservice, ALON/Southwest Convenience, Odessa, TX
All aspects of Category Management, Restaurant Operations, and Supply Chain.
• Responsible for all foodservice categories for 303 store c-store chain representing $23MM in annual sales and $10MM in gross profit dollars
• Managed 6 Subways, 3 Mexican food concepts, 10 Turbochefs, and a fry/grill program
Drove increasingly higher sales, profits, and margin percentage in the categories: 15.34% sales increase in 2011 with categories managed vs. total store with foodservice at +5.7%
Increased margin 97 basis points vs. total store +93 basis points, 2011
Provided instrumental direction on foodservice remodels and training on equipment upgrades
Developed and executed advertising campaign in 2011 and managed social media programs. From November 2010 to August 2012 (1 year 10 months) Odessa/Midland, Texas AreaCategory Manager Foodservice /Director of Merchandising @ Jun 2007 - Feb 2010 Category Manager/Director of Merchandising, Stripes/Town & Country, Corpus Christi, TX
All aspects of Category Management.
• Responsible for foodservice categories for 530 store c-store chain representing $65MM in annual sales and $37MM G.P.
Drove sales increase of 7.9% in last full year for foodservice vs. total store w/food service at 3.29% on a same store basis
Increased overall non kitchen foodservice margin 47 basis points in two years vs. total store declining 97 through lucrative agreements in cost and media support with major manufacturers including Coke, Pepsi, DPSG, Kraft, Sara Lee, and many smaller companies
Increased fountain G.P. 472 basis points over three years despite a 17% increase in syrup costs
Assisted in the rebranding and remodel process with a $20MM budget for 161 Town & Country stores including designing counter replacements, directing equipment upgrades, and training on new programs and procedures From June 2007 to March 2010 (2 years 10 months) Owner Consultant @ • Owner and operator of category management, product development, and manufacturer representation business focused on functional and improved health confections and snacks.
• Worked with companies ranging from large to start up in product development, go to market strategies, broker management, and sales management with a focus on the end consumer user. From January 2005 to June 2007 (2 years 6 months) Category Manager @ • Responsible for annual sales on a $300M candy and collectibles category in 6,000 national stores
• Autonomy in planning, product assortment, importing, product sourcing, product development, pricing, and display
Grew sales over $50MM and increased margin 250 basis points over 4 financial years
Created groundbreaking first to market new items including the Slurpee candy straw, Pay Day protein candy bar, zero carb candy bars, SoBe candy bars/gum, energy gum, and mint films/gels
Served on brand advisory boards with M&M Mars, Hershey, Wrigley, Nestle, and Adams
Managed 13 McLane warehouses across the country, DSD, and a mail/return to/from store collectible system
Recipient of numerous industry commendations, including a feature in an annual report From June 2000 to January 2005 (4 years 8 months) Dallas/Fort Worth AreaField Consultant/Market Manager/Field Merchandiser @ Field Merchandiser - Florida Division, Orlando, Florida. 1997-2000.
• Responsible for category management of Fresh Bakery, Packaged Bakery, Bread, Candy, Snacks, Groceries, Frozen Food, Frozen Treats, All Cold Vault categories, and Ice.
• Supervised implementation of national and regional merchandising plans in a 530-store division.
• Managed product assortment, pricing, display, competitive, and execution plans.
• Negotiated multi-million dollar regional agreements with suppliers to supplement national programs.
• Managed direct to store distributors such as Pepsi, Coke, Frito, Dolly Madison, Reddy Ice, along with many others.
Field Consultant Operations Area Management - Central Division - Austin, Texas 1991-1997.
• Supervised all operations and personnel management for over 150 employees and 10 store managers in convenience stores managing $20MM in combined sales annually.
• Tested and implemented multiple corporate initiatives requiring the overhaul of nearly every aspect of the organization in the company’s test market and communicated results to majority owners in Japan.
• Many performance awards across the Texas Division resulting in tactical bonuses for assistance with category management tests, performance awards, fresh food management, and featured in the company’s annual report in 1994.
• Grew the merchandise sales in almost every store managed by 100% over a 5 year period. From August 1991 to June 2000 (8 years 11 months)
B.B.A, Marketing, Management @ University of Houston From 1979 to 1986 Derek Schmitt is skilled in: Customer Service, Negotiation, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, People Development, Retail, Merchandising, Training, Microsoft Office, Inventory Management, Forecasting, Purchasing, Sales, Advertising, Inventory Control, Project Planning
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension