Data & Business Intelligence Strategy Manager @ United Utilities
Projects & Programmes Practice Lead @ United Utilities
Asset Data Strategy Manager @ Untied Utilities
MSc, Water Resource Systems Management @
University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
A highly experienced senior manager within the utilities sector, who has demonstrated the ability to lead diverse teams of professionals to new levels of performance. Strong technical and business qualifications with an impressive track record of more than 15 years of hands-on experience in strategic planning, risk based asset management, business unit development, project management, and system
A highly experienced senior manager within the utilities sector, who has demonstrated the ability to lead diverse teams of professionals to new levels of performance. Strong technical and business qualifications with an impressive track record of more than 15 years of hands-on experience in strategic planning, risk based asset management, business unit development, project management, and system engineering strategies. Proven ability to successfully analyze an organization's critical business requirements, identify deficiencies and potential opportunities; then develop and implement innovative and cost-effective solutions for enhancing competitiveness, increasing revenues, and improving customer service offerings.
Data & Business Intelligence Strategy Manager @ Working as part of the Business Wide Architecture team. Developing and implementing the business wide Data Management and Business Intelligence Strategy to support business processes. Liaising with senior stakeholders across the business to garner support for the strategy. Leading the adoption of common principles and processes for the management of data and information and the production of business intelligence in order to:
Provide the strategy, policies and principles for collection, validation and integration of company data, that allows:
• Data collection activities to be minimised, reducing costs
• Sharing of data between systems, maximising the return on investment in IT
• Comparison of data & information from different system to gain new insights into business processes and identify new business opportunities. From April 2013 to Present (2 years 9 months) Warrington, United KingdomProjects & Programmes Practice Lead @ Leading the development of the Projects & Programmes Practice Team responsible for delivering the business transformation initiatives to achieve the organization’s strategic objectives of becoming the North West’s leading service provider and one of the most efficient Water and Wastewater Companies. This involves the development of a team of Project Managers, Business Analysts and Project Management Office professionals with the objective of delivering a £60m/year change programme aimed at achieving a 45% improvement in the efficiency of business activities and a 50% improvement in customer service over the next 2 years. This involves:
• Improving team engagement, customer focus and commercial awareness.
• Develop and ensure the delivery of training programmes to enhance the organizational capability of the projects & programmes technical communities.
• Allocate resources to ensure that the resources are deployed effectively allowing optimum delivery of benefits.
• Shaping and fostering continuous improvement and a customer focused culture.
• Report to Executives and Senior Managers on the utilization of resources, operational efficiency and the delivery of business benefits. From July 2012 to March 2013 (9 months) Asset Data Strategy Manager @ Led the development of the company's Asset Data Management Strategy. The objective of this strategy is to ensure that the data and information used to make investment decisions is of known accuracy, reliability and completeness. This involved:
• Setting up a governance structure to support nominated Data Steward and Trustee roles that are responsible and accountable for data quality in company systems.
• Developing a new business unit to monitor and control data quality, becoming a centre of excellence for master data management within the company.
• Developing common data quality metrics, applicable at the enterprise level to allow comparison of the quality of data in different systems and the tracking of the impact and effectiveness of improvement initiatives.
• Provide Executives and Senior Managers with dashboards of statistically robust measures of confidence in the information and data on which their investment decisions are based. From December 2009 to July 2012 (2 years 8 months) Regional Asset and Reservoir Safety Manager @ Led the North & Central Water Asset Management Team and the Reservoir Safety Team. Accountable to the Asset Management Director for ensuring proposals were prioritized on a cost v. benefit basis whilst ensuring service risks were maintained at an acceptable level. This involved:
• The co-ordination and development of the long-term asset management using the forward-looking, risk-based principles of the common framework to identify £52m of outperformance against the regulatory determination of £713m over 5 years.
• The development of the company’s £134m 5-year investment programme in its stock of 200+ reservoirs under the Reservoirs Act 1975.
• Development of the company’s approach to reservoir management to meet the challenges arising from the proposed changes to the Reservoirs Act 1975. From September 2008 to December 2009 (1 year 4 months) Submission Manager @ Accountable directly to the Asset Management Director for the development of the £800m Water Service Capital Maintenance programme as part of the company's draft business plan during the 2009 Price Review (PR09). The role involved:
Interpreting regulatory requirements and communicating these across the water service at all levels.
Co-ordinating Individual elements of the submission were then co-ordinated to make sure they complied with the requirements of the common framework and together would maximize benefits from the Capital Incentive Scheme (CIS).
Preparation of the draft submission for approval by United Utilities Board prior to submission. From April 2007 to August 2008 (1 year 5 months) Water Service Asset Manager @ Managing the maintenance and development of the source to tap water assets in the Oldham, Rochdale and Rossendale areas to achieve the strategic objectives of the Company Business Plan. The role included:
Monitoring asset performance and liaising with operational staff to ensure that optimum performance was achieved using the resources available.
Maintaining company's regulatory asset data system.
Prioritizing the company's asset investment within the area and identifying opportunities to outperform the regulatory contract.
Sponsorship of Capital Projects.
Ensuring proposals met regulatory and strategic objectives at lowest whole-life cost. From September 2005 to April 2007 (1 year 8 months) Water Supply System Planning Manager @ Managing the development and operation of the United Utilities' Water Supply System. The objective of the role was to ensure that the optimum combination of water resources and assets existed within the system at any given time so that the required levels of service and Company objectives could be achieved. This involved:
Monitoring the performance of the water supply system against cost, quantity, quality and reliability parameters.
Preparation of the system integration submission for PR04 to maintain supply demand balance.
Developing, monitoring and co-ordinating the outage programme required to implement and deliver the AMP3 capital programme. This included the shutdown of the Haweswater Aqueduct that supplies 22% of regional demand.
Managing the overall supply demand risks for the company. From December 1999 to September 2005 (5 years 10 months) Project Manager @ Managing a £150m project portfolio for the Manchester East Business Area Team. The projects ranged in value from £5,000 to £25,000,000. I was responsible to the Business Area Manager for the Financial and Technical Appraisal of proposed solutions; preparation of Business Cases for approval by the North West Water and United Utilities Boards; and project management of the implementation phase. From April 1997 to December 1999 (2 years 9 months) Project Manager @ Water Resources & Data Systems for clients including Utility companies, ICI, the Commissions for New Towns, the Highways Agency, local authorities and the Ministry of Defence. From October 1989 to March 1997 (7 years 6 months) Graduate engineer @ Involved in hydraulic and hydrological modelling of water systems, wastewater systems and natural watercourses; as well as the design of any improvement or remedial work these identified. From September 1987 to October 1989 (2 years 2 months)
Masters; MBA, Business Administration @ Open University Business School From 2004 to 2011 MSc, Water Resource Systems Management @ University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne From 1983 to 1987 BSc. (Hons), Civil Engineering @ Newcastle University From 1983 to 1986 Williams Paul is skilled in: Master Data Management, Water Resource Systems Management, Asset Management, Water, Risk, Data Management, Governance, Strategic Planning, Management Consulting, Program Management, Business Process Improvement, Asset Managment, Project Delivery, Strategy, Stakeholder Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension