Director Engineering - Commerce and Operations @ Bodybuilding.com
Director of Development - Managed Security Services and Response @ Symantec Corporation
Director of Development - Managed Security Services @ Symantec
I am an accomplished senior executive experienced in managing software development teams to deliver complex and time critical software projects. I have over ten years of experience in Application Development and a proven track record of improving software development team performance and morale. I have built and managed organizations of up to 75 developers supporting 3 lines
I am an accomplished senior executive experienced in managing software development teams to deliver complex and time critical software projects. I have over ten years of experience in Application Development and a proven track record of improving software development team performance and morale. I have built and managed organizations of up to 75 developers supporting 3 lines of business with combined revenue of $85 Million annually and a P&L budget responsibility of over $10 million. Additionally, I have supported a major eCommerce business with $250 million dollars in revenue using Oracles ATG commerce platform.
I stay very versed in hands on technical work and have a strong understanding and experience with Continuous Integration (Jenkins), Python, RESTful web services, AWS, Java, Ruby and Linux operating systems. I pride myself on staying connected to current technology and the current state of the art as software engineering evolves.
Specialties: Managing large (70+) person development teams, Budget management in a profit and loss line of business, delivery of critical projects on aggressive timelines, process evolution, global workforces, open source technologies, Agile development, rapid application development, cloud computing.
Director Engineering - Commerce and Operations @ As the development director for eCommerce and Operations Mr. Steiger was responsible for the re-platforming and delivery of the Bodybuilding.com store on the ATG platform. This was a complete technology transition from a LAMP environment to Oracles ATG commerce platform. In addition to the delivery aspects of this project Mr. Steiger also increased the team size and ensured effective training on the Java language for all of the development teams.
Responsibilities / Accomplishments:
* Responsible for the re-platforming effort of the previous Bodybuilding.com store to the ATG commerce framework
* Increased the commerce development teams staffing to support greater feature delivery
* Responsible for the delivery of an internally developed Order Management System to allow the business completed control of the fulfilment supply chain
* Delivered the full re-platformed and redesigned store front in an unprecedented 18 months
* Managed both internal teams as well as the work of external consultancy to achieve this delivery From April 2010 to April 2013 (3 years 1 month) Boise, Idaho AreaDirector of Development - Managed Security Services and Response @ In addition to the software development management duties associated with the managed security service’s business Mr. Steiger took on the additional responsibility for Symantec’s Response development team. This team was focused on the development and deployment of internal systems used to perform analysis, definition development and publishing for the Antivirus and other malicious software security products from Symantec. This team was underperforming when Mr. Steiger took over management, and they have consistently delivered projects of significant scope on-time from that point forward.
Responsibilities / Accomplishments:
* Responsible for a team of 75 with total budget responsibility of over $10 million
* Led the RFP process and negotiations with SAN vendor for purchase of large scale SAN network leading to significant savings off initial estimates through competitive bidding and negotiation.
* Delivered many major service enhancements to MSS services including updated web interface to provide more feature richness to customers, mobile web interface, new data storage technology, ITIL service desk integration, enhanced analytics for security incident detection.
* Led coordination with product management, program management, operations / infrastructure, marketing, and sales for new service enhancements or upgraded feature sets.
* Prepared and presented technology focused information in quarterly business reviews with senior business unit, sales and corporate leadership. Developed and focused development team on 90 day goals in support of business unit annual “victory plan”.
* In the Response organization restructured team with dedicated QA and instituted structured project management approach. Lead to no more projects missing deadlines and reduced production defect rates. From July 2005 to March 2009 (3 years 9 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaDirector of Development - Managed Security Services @ In this role as the Director of Development, Mr. Steiger took over the Managed Security Services development team. This team had been poorly managed for 18 months, and had very low morale and a reputation for not delivering software on time. Through a hands on and supportive management style, Mr. Steiger was able to turn the team’s morale around over the next 9 months. This team was regarded as highly effective and dependable for quality software delivery. In addition, Mr. Steiger worked with the team to revise process and procedures to allow the team more ownership of their work.
Responsibilities / Accomplishments:
* Managed technology licensing agreement with a Joint Venture with Mitsubishi Corporation and supported the following licensing and support work for 6 years.
* Improved team morale and increased team retention to an average of 7-8 years.
* Lead the integration of ITIL based service desk software from HP that was adopted to reduce operational costs of service delivery. Service costs were reduced by 30% at project completion allowing for more competitive pricing.
* Integrated Symantec's Deepsight Threat Management system into the MSS offerings providing opportunities for cross selling and greater deal size.
* Increased software release to 2-3 software updates per week, thereby increasing responsiveness to customer and sales requests. Minor updates and hot fixes averaged 1 week turn around and critical fixes were released within 24-48 hours From November 2003 to July 2005 (1 year 9 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaDirector of Worldwide Infrastructure @ As the Director of Worldwide Infrastructure, Mr. Steiger managed a team of professionals responsible for maintenance and engineering of a global information technology infrastructure. The IT resources that this team supported were used to provide Managed Security Services to Symantec’s customers across the globe from 5 Security Operation Centers (SOCs) located in Alexandria, VA; San Antonio, TX; Berlin, Germany; Twyford, England and Sydney, Australia. The staff located in Alexandria, VA utilized state of the art remote management systems to control all five operation centers. Additionally, Mr. Steiger was instrumental in the development and documentation of Business Continuance Plans for the Symantec operation centers and the completion of BS-7799 certification for 3 of the 5 Operation Centers.
Responsibilities / Achievements:
* Managed a team of 15 infrastructure engineers to support the 24x7 Managed Security Services (MSS) business with operations in Virginia, Berlin, England and Australia.
* The Infrastructure team was responsible for supporting a datacenter with Windows systems, SQL databases, Linux systems and high availability Internet connectivity.
* Spearheaded disaster recovery and business continuity planning (DR/BCP) for MSS organization.
* Lead the efforts to achieve certification for both ISO-17799 and SAS-70 Type 2 standards. All operations were successfully certified increasing industry credibility of the MSS service.
* Instituted an on-call rotation for each support area thereby reducing team burn out and increase retention.
* Worked to justify and then plan for implementation of redundant UPS systems to support the operations center and recommended relocating all data center functions to a co-location facility. From August 2002 to March 2004 (1 year 8 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaDirector of Development @ As Director of Development for Riptech, Mr. Steiger established a development organization that allowed the company to maintain and extend its technology lead in the Managed Security Services (MSS) space. Along with establishing this development organization, Mr. Steiger led the effort to implement an iterative development methodology and quality assurance process that matched the company’s service delivery model. The establishment of a set development life cycle added stability to the architectural software and allowed consistent advancement of Riptech’s MSS capabilities.
Responsibilities / Accomplishments:
* Established an organization of 45 developers and QA to allow Riptech to maintain and increase their lead in the newly established Managed Security Services market
* Lead the design, architecture and development of the second generation of Managed Security Services technology to ensure Riptech’s dominant position in the market
* Developed a patented system for the secure transmission of security data from customer devices to the Riptech Security Operations Centers (US Patent 7484097)
* Implemented development processes to increase stability and quality of updates to the production environment
* Worked with sales and business staff to accelerate feature development for critical customer needs and to support acquisition of key customers From March 2001 to August 2002 (1 year 6 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaManager of Development @ In this position Mr. Steiger was one of the lead designers of the second-generation software architecture for use in Riptech’s Security Operation Centers. This software architecture allowed Riptech to establish itself as one of the dominant players in the MSS space. Mr. Steiger began the process of building a professional development team to support and further the company’s technology goals. During this time Mr. Steiger was integral to the development of technical documentation and technical due diligence required for the acquisition of Series A venture capital funding. Throughout this period, he performed ongoing development work to maintain and extend the initial software solution that Riptech used to provide MSS services. From May 2000 to March 2001 (11 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaInformation Security Consultant @ Mr. Steiger helped perform the initial development of the software architecture, which Riptech used to deliver its MSS business. This software was integral to the initial success of Riptech’s MSS business that allowed for the development of the next generation of its technology. As an Information Security Consultant Mr. Steiger performed installation and testing of security devices on customer networks. Additionally, he performed vulnerability assessment and penetration testing for customer networks. From August 1999 to May 2000 (10 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaNetwork and Systems Engineer @ Mr. Steiger moved the company from a data processing environment based around VAX clusters and serial dumb terminals to a modern client server network operating system based on Windows NT 4.0. This transition involved the addition of 350 workstations at two sites, and was completed in a six-month timeframe. In addition to designing, deploying, and managing the systems, Mr. Steiger was also responsible for staffing a helpdesk to support the new user base at they learned to efficiently use the new technologies. Additionally, Mr. Steiger performed system design and integration for a real-time system used to control and monitor two 40 Megawatt gas turbine generators that produced power for utility customers. From August 1997 to August 1999 (2 years 1 month) Fairbanks, Alaska
Bachelors Degree, Electrical Engineering @ University of Alaska Fairbanks From 1994 to 1998 Tom Steiger is skilled in: Agile Methodologies, Software Development, Enterprise Software, SaaS, Cloud Computing, Security, Leadership, Program Management, Team Leadership, Integration, Microsoft SQL Server, Web Services, Project Management, Production Support, Product Management, Data Center, Linux, IT Management, E-commerce, Testing, Networking, Disaster Recovery, Computer Security, Information Security, Management, Databases, SDLC, SQL, Software Engineering, Strategy, Information Technology, Scrum, Network Security
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension