I am a seasoned IT professional with extensive experience working, using and developing Linux based platforms. I first touched Linux as a child involved in the Smoothwall project and since then I have graduated and worked as a Consultant at leading Enterprise Linux vendors, Red Hat and Canonical. After these roles I was recruited to a role
I am a seasoned IT professional with extensive experience working, using and developing Linux based platforms. I first touched Linux as a child involved in the Smoothwall project and since then I have graduated and worked as a Consultant at leading Enterprise Linux vendors, Red Hat and Canonical. After these roles I was recruited to a role as a Senior Consultant for Eucalyptus Systems as their only consultant in Europe, designing and deploying Eucalyptus Infrastructure as a Service Clouds that use the Amazon EC2, IAM and S3 API's.
My latest challenge is at Rackspace, applying my experience from on-site consulting to enabling sales teams by helping them to work with customers, translating their business requirements into Infrastructure solutions from managed hosting infrastructure, Big Data (Hadoop & MongoDB), Infrastructure as a Service clouds (OpenStack) and private clouds (VMWare, OpenStack, Hyper-V).
Specialities: Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu and Debian), RHCE, Public Cloud (AWS EC2), Private Cloud (Eucalyptus, Openstack), Performance Tuning, Security, Configuration Management (Puppet, Chef), Monitoring (Nagios, Ganglia, Collectd), RPM & DEB packaging & repositories, Virtualisation (KVM, Xen, VMWare), Large Scale Deployments (Kickstart, Preseed, Cobbler, RHN Satellite), Scripting (Bash, Python), Revision Control (GIT, SVN), Storage (FC, iSCSI, NFS & Cluster filesystems), Clustering (RHCS, Pacemaker), Managed Hosting, Infrastructure (HP, Dell).
Solutions Architect @ From June 2014 to Present (1 year 7 months) London, United KingdomCloud Solutions Engineer @ Pre-sales Solutions Engineer for Rackspace.
* Architecture design of Private Cloud deployments using OpenStack
* DevOps Advisory - workshops on Agile methodologies and Tooling
* Big Data - Architecture design for Hadoop and MongoDB From April 2013 to Present (2 years 9 months) London, United KingdomSenior Consultant @ Lead Consultant in Europe for Eucalyptus Systems, providing on-site Professional Services to enterprises in EMEA.
* Design and Delivery of Eucalyptus IaaS Clouds
* Cloud image building
* Advising customers on best practices and implementing Linux based deployment tools (e.g. Puppet/Chef, Cobbler with Kickstart and Preseed)
* Implementation of cloud monitoring and tuning of production environments From June 2012 to April 2013 (11 months) London, United KingdomPremium Service Architect @ Provided premium support and professional services to enterprises running Ubuntu.
This included both on-site work as a consultant and remote work as a technical account manager for a number of large global accounts to advise on best practices for the enterprise market.
* Debugging, troubleshooting and solving complex support issues
* Lead professional services consultant, designing and deploying Ubuntu based desktop, server and cloud projects, including a custom build and roll-out of over 8,000 Ubuntu desktops in a large financial institution
* Design and deployment of Eucalyptus IaaS and Openstack based clouds
* Providing in-sight into product roadmaps, advocating features for customers and participating in Ubuntu developer summits
* Training team members on new technologies - provided regular presentations on new features and designed Openstack product training and documentation
* Interviewing and mentoring new employees From February 2010 to June 2012 (2 years 5 months) London, United KingdomConsultant @ My job at Red Hat helped fuel my passion for Free and Open Source Software. My day-to-day responsibilities included deployment of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Network Satellite, Clustering with Red Hat Cluster Suite, performance tuning and issue diagnostics.
The job took me to all parts of the UK, Europe and South Africa, liaising with all types of companies that are Red Hat customers, from small start-ups running a few GNU/Linux instances to large finanicals running large GNU/Linux estates of over 7,000 servers giving me a solid foundation of the Linux Enterprise environment. From May 2007 to January 2010 (2 years 9 months) Consultant @ Small IT consultancy specialising in IT solutions and Audio/Visual equipment From January 2007 to May 2008 (1 year 5 months) IT Engineer @ Working within Invensys APV in Crawley as an IT Engineer, primary working on the helpdesk.
I helped provision systems and administer servers running a number of applications. After gaining some excellent troubleshooting skills I started to introduce an open source monitoring solution to this company to help cut down costs. From June 2005 to July 2006 (1 year 2 months)
Bsc, Technology, Computing and Business Entrepreneurship @ University of Surrey From 2003 to 2007 Horndean Community School Tom Ellis is skilled in: Open Source, Linux, RedHat, RHEL, Ubuntu, Cloud Computing, Virtualization, Bash, Open Source Software, Xen, High Availability, Python, Apache, Red Hat Linux, Shell Scripting
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension