Director of Commercial Operations @ ProChon Biotech Ltd
Director of Marketing and Portfolio Management @ Covidien, Sports Surgery
MS, BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING @
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
An incisive, driven and highly motivated executive with a ‘can-do’ attitude, focused on achieving strategic goals with over 20 years of experience in the medical device industry…marketing and engineering (development) expert. A global marketing leader with the ability to grow revenue at a 25% annual rate. Responsible for the development and launch of over 25 devices and
An incisive, driven and highly motivated executive with a ‘can-do’ attitude, focused on achieving strategic goals with over 20 years of experience in the medical device industry…marketing and engineering (development) expert. A global marketing leader with the ability to grow revenue at a 25% annual rate. Responsible for the development and launch of over 25 devices and disposable instruments in a global marketing role generating annual revenue of $68MM. Spearheaded the design, development and launch, as a development engineer of over 40 implantable devices and consumable instruments generating over $75MM in annual revenue. Actively established intellectual property (26 patents, 6 pending) across multiple product platforms thus protecting over $250MM in sales revenue
Innovative Global Marketing & Sales solutions
Strategic Planning & Development
Brand Strategy / Development
Develop best in class, high performance employees
Comfortable & effective facilitator
Executive Leadership Development
High technical acumen with accelerated learning curve
Ability to generate sustainable & financially contributing IP
Extensive global/international sales and marketing experience
Effective manager and leader of large teams
Director @ • Franchised Dental Fix RX, a state of the art’ mobile service center delivering immediate, onsite personalized service for a dental practice’s repair, supply, and new equipment needs to the southern Massachusetts and Northern Rhode Island regions.
• Generated over 130 new customers in 12+ months generating revenue in excess of $250,000 annually.
• Supported Orthopaedic Surgeon with the development of IP for Suture Passing System. Established agreement with orthopaedic company to further investigate opportunity. From February 2011 to Present (4 years 11 months) Director of Commercial Operations @ •Led Public Relations efforts and re-established the brand awareness of ProChon’s flagship product, BioCart ACI System.
•Led to the subsequent acquisition of ProChon Biotech by Histogenics in 2011 via a stock for stock exchange worth an estimated $30MM
•Accelerated the US FDA Phase II Clinical Study in the US (identified eight new sites) and developed new marketing plan to increase patient enrollment by 75%.
•Introduced 510k products and personally developed first of its kind arthroscopic procedure and instrumentation package (new IP)
•Responsible for directing the sales and marketing initiatives to drive uptake of ProChon’s flagship product, the BioCart Autologous Cartilage System in Israel and Europe (sales increase by 85%) From March 2009 to November 2010 (1 year 9 months) Director of Marketing and Portfolio Management @ • Growth initiative within the Surgical Devices Division of Covidien
• Responsible for rebranding the USS Sports Med product line with the Scandius Biomedical product line.
• Developed a new portfolio plan to transfer US Surgical Technology to Sports Surgery division, submitted 4 new IP filings/patent applications
• Due Diligence support for BD&L opportunities, forecasting validation, business models; mapping product opportunities to support the portfolio From January 2008 to August 2008 (8 months) Global Marketing Director @ • Led sales, marketing and business development of shoulder repair franchise unit across US and Canada,
• Lead global market and drove annual sales of $38M to run rate of $50M single year
• Drove global sales 20%+ rate product portfolio execution and mentoring global marketing team (12 marketers, 9 countries) to support sales efforts achieving global revenue growth 25%, year on year, portfolio value $84M
• Directed new products, created global shoulder surgeon advisory team which aided in assessing, rating and prioritizing development programs
• Drove international sales growth in Europe, Middle East, Asia, Australia and Central/South America From March 2004 to February 2008 (4 years) Product Director, Staff Engineering, Sr Development Engineer, Sr Scientist @ • Designed, developed and launched RapidLoc Meniscal Repair System, $15M first year revenue
• Performed research and design within Tissue Engineering program, specifically SIS Program, assisting to produce Restore Orthobiologic Shoulder Patch, $50M annual revenue
• Design and development of total joints (hip, knee, shoulder, wrist, ankle, spine)
• Achieved R&D Outstanding Achievement Award (SIS Project), Silver Awards, Bronze Awards, Rainbow Awards, “New Product” Perspective Award and Outstanding Marketing Contribution Award
• Generated substantial IP portfolio to support product designs From August 1993 to March 2004 (10 years 8 months)
BS, BIOLOGICAL ENGINEERING @ North Carolina State UniversityMS, BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING @ Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine Thomas May is skilled in: Medical Devices, Strategic Planning, Product Development, Strategy, Product Launch, Team Building, Entrepreneurship, Leadership, FDA, Market Development, Executive Coaching, Coaching, Biotechnology, Change Management, Marketing Strategy
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension