Senior Vice President Business Development, Founder @ GXB Interactive Corporation
Former Network President, Board Member, Mentor @ Tech Coast Angels
Webb High School of California
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT • STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS • INITIATIVES LEADERSHIP
Global and strategic business development executive with over 19 years of diverse and in depth domestic and international experience in the wireless mobile, interactive educational technology, audio solutions/content, IP, entertainment, consumer electronics, telecommunications, digital media content, cloud storage, and corporate investing. Experienced leading multi-million dollar complex and comprehensive
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT • STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS • INITIATIVES LEADERSHIP
Global and strategic business development executive with over 19 years of diverse and in depth domestic and international experience in the wireless mobile, interactive educational technology, audio solutions/content, IP, entertainment, consumer electronics, telecommunications, digital media content, cloud storage, and corporate investing. Experienced leading multi-million dollar complex and comprehensive negotiations with consumer, enterprise, and federal and state government markets.
Collaborative leader who cultivates strong vertical and cross functional teams of over 100 professionals that execute fast iterations in strategic direction. Recognized as a versatile and innovative leader capable of connecting the internal organizational “dots” in identifying, promoting, and motivating diverse internal virtual teams to execute logistically challenging and geographically spread corporate objectives. Fosters action through consensus building within a broad range of corporate environments spanning large multinationals to small high growth start-ups.
Strong technical background facilitates understanding highly fluid and evolving competitive technical and business landscape, resulting in a solid corporate planning and partnership development foundation that accelerates growth within companies. Proven success driving organic business and tactical initiatives by championing agile processes, promoting internal ideation, and synthesizing emerging prototypes of new products.
Extensive public speaking and media relations experience. Developed and launched one of (if not the) first wireless mobile internet services for smart devices – in 1996.
• Strategic partnerships business development
• Corporate & organizational development
• Initiatives leadership
• Public speaking & media relations
• Cross-functional team leadership
• Investments, acquisitions, mentoring, fundraising
Mentor / Advisor @ Proud to be part of the Qualcomm Robotics Accelerator program, run by TechStars. Providing assistance and mentoring for 10 diverse robotics, drone, and automation related startups working to make the jump from R&D prototyping to commercialization. From 2015 to Present (less than a year) Senior Vice President Business Development, Founder @ GXB is a mobile educational gaming company that publishes adaptive, interactive, and personalized multi-sensory applications for web, iOS, Android, and Nintendo gaming platforms.
• Raised over $3M in Series A funding.
• Created the first curriculum-based math and language arts titles for the Nintendo Gameboy/DS.
• Recruited and assembled a solid design, development, marketing and publication team including pulling together and managing 5 internal and outsourced development groups.
• GXB was honored by several media awards for its high quality educational titles.
• Successfully monetized and sold the initial product line (Math Patrol and Word Safari) in 2009. From 2005 to Present (10 years) Former Network President, Board Member, Mentor @ Key Achievements:
• Led the growth of membership, investments, and community partnerships with various universities and economic development agencies.
• Very experienced with corporate development related activities, such as identifying, screening, and investing in new opportunities following due diligence, analysis, deal structuring, valuation, and other negotiations.
Network President July 2011- August 2012
Youngest elected President in network history. Responsible for developing the Inland Empire network: heavily involved with investments screenings, membership growth, sponsorships, public relations, press, & marketing programs, and partnership and syndication efforts with other investment groups nationwide.
Director, Board of Governors Dec 2010 - August 2012
Oversaw the operations, rules, regulations, marketing initiatives (including press, social media, and website development), sponsorships and fund raising, & membership development.
Vice-President, TCA IE Dec 2010 - July 2011
Launched TCA IE’s marketing and PR initiatives; creating partnerships with colleges and universities to support technology commercialization and entrepreneurship assistance to students and alumni.
Executive Board Member July 2010 - August 2012
Oversaw the running of ACE Fund, a $3M sidecar investment fund that invests in specific start-up organizations in conjunction with regular Tech Coast Angels investors.
Chairman, Seed Track IE Aug 2009 - Dec 2010
Developed new group to identify, screen, and mentor startups requiring up to $250k in funding.
Deal Lead May 2009 - August 2012
Responsible for due diligence, valuation, contract negotiations, and executive coaching.
Mentor and Advisor May 2009 - August 2012
Advisor for numerous startups, ranging from mobile robotics to consumer ecommerce to mobile accessories start-ups. From 2009 to Present (6 years) Greater Los Angeles AreaAccidental Actor @ Here's what happens when one takes their children for to a shoot for a TV commercial, and then the lead actor doesn't show up on time: http://youtu.be/wGnQHKZus4E From 2014 to 2015 (1 year) Greater Los Angeles AreaVP Business Development, Digital Content Services (Mobile & CE platforms Worldwide) @ DTS is a global leader in cutting edge entertainment technology, licensing IP to the professional content community and major consumer brands in Mobile, PC, TV, Home Theater, Automotive, Media Streaming, Broadcast, and OTT.
• Led the charge in commercializing the DTS content driven business model by securing close strategic media partnerships with global OTT video and music content groups, retailers, digital media, and mobile OEM, OS, applications, and services teams.
• Launched an internal tactical initiative to cultivate a closer relationship between R&D and Bus Dev creating a more collaborative business environment resulting in a more agile organization responsive to the marketplace.
• Developed extensive and deep corporate relationships with global partners including Samsung, LG, Google, Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, Starz, Comcast, Pandora, Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Media-Saturn, Warner Bros, Fox, Paramount, Cyanogen, Voxeet, etc. From 2013 to 2015 (2 years) Greater Los Angeles AreaHead Business Development & Service Innovations, Strategic Partnerships @ Key Achievements:
• Created and drove internal initiatives incubation program resulting in successful new product and service development. Recruited & managed team of 12 mentors, coordinated major pitch events, and oversaw development of prototypes.
• Appointed and trained by management to serve as a publically facing spokesman and liaison for Samsung.
• Health & Fitness – Research, evaluation, and development of partnerships for health monitoring and health tracking initiatives. Broadly familiar with applicable FDA and HIPPA regulations.
• Led global strategic content, services, and sourcing partnerships of US-based partners that:
- Cover multiple platforms (mobile phones, SmartTVs, tablets, computers, set-top media players, wearables, cameras, and cloud), and/or
- Involve multiple Samsung business groups, divisions, and affiliated companies distributed worldwide.
• Surpassed entire team's collective objectives for MBO (management by objectives) goals;
- Exceeded 6 months early and by 3x my own annual objectives set with my manager
• Coordinated and drove internal collaborative consensus among diverse business units across varied cultures and personalities to enable execution of initiatives and partnerships for multiple device platforms and services within Samsung.
• Digital Media Content Services Partnerships – Led negotiations and contract executions of strategic business partnerships with global top tier digital media service providers based in the Americas.
- Guided strategy for partner selection of IPTV, OTT, broadcast, Internet video, and other partners.
- Experienced working with content services (Hulu, Netflix, etc), recommendation engines, content discovery, advertising monetization, "second screen" complimentary services, metadata, and cold-start solutions.
• Cloud Storage Partnerships – Developed primary partnerships to support Samsung's personal cloud initiatives. From 2012 to 2013 (1 year) Vistage Chair @ Trained as a Vistage Chair; learned best practices in facilitating peer to peer mentoring for senior executives and business leaders. From 2012 to 2012 (less than a year) Greater San Diego AreaSr. Business Consultant @ TriTech is a federally funded organization with the objective of providing consulting services to high growth potential technology businesses with the goals to promoting entrepreneurism and stimulating the regional economy.
• Mentored startups and entrepreneurs, providing assistance with identifying and raising capital, commercializing new technologies, marketing products and services, and managing their organizations.
http://www.tritechsbdc.org/ From 2011 to 2012 (1 year) Consumer Strategy and New Business Development (Strategic Alliances) @ Key Achievements:
• Cross-Industry Deal Specialization – Ran a combination “SWAT” and Innovations team (called “Deal Desk”), tasked with negotiating 3rd party strategic including:
• Multi-Media (video on demand, streaming music, and digital photography),
• Mobile Gaming (including Flash games and Android apps),
• Marketing and Marketing Agency partnership negotiations, and
• Platform Services (such as ringtones music licensing and application wrapping).
• International Strategic Negotiations (Latin America) – Quickly grew my roles to include handling strategic negotiations for all key Latin American content and services preload partnerships with a focus on Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Mexico.
• Process Improvements – Worked to improve the effectiveness with which the Strategic Alliances group worked with partners and collaborated with other internal groups.
• Initiatives Development and Project Management – Acted as an entrepreneur in residence, conceived and fostered support for numerous initiatives related to the PlayBook tablets, BlackBerry smart phones, and upcoming products to promote more emotional attachments with our customers.
Initiatives I created and led include:
• Family Apps – encouraging multiple PlayBooks & BlackBerrys per household by focusing on family collaboration, kids’ apps, and necessary App World modifications for app organization, ratings, etc.
• BB Sports – creating a local sports communities focus,
• Shared social experiences – starting with shared interactive ebooks reading, and
• Kitchen & Living room apps – cooking, digital photo frame & media center functionality.
• Patent & Intellectual Property Generation – Submitted an average of one patent idea per month, all but one of which was accepted for further development and review by the patent committee.
• Managed the team overseeing all standard PlayBook Tablet App funding investments, and RIM's NFC (near field communications) partnerships & strategy. From 2011 to 2011 (less than a year) Founder, CEO/President @ An innovative and emerging wireless mobile application development company which created the FIRST commercially available 3rd party internet connected mobile applications for smart devices.
• Helped to launch the mobile apps industry by managing the design and development of the first internet-connected mobile consumer applications & services for wireless smart devices.
• Assembled and motivated stellar team, led 75+ employees in multiple offices nationwide.
• Raised ~$9M in several rounds of funding from private investors and groups
• Grew organization from $0 to over $80+M in value; maintained over 85% market penetration
• Named to a “Forty Under 40” list of most successful business entrepreneurs – when just 25.
• A Top Entrepreneur as profiled in Entrepreneur Magazine.
• WolfeTech named one of the three “Top Software Companies in Southern California” (2003)
• Frequent industry speaker and expert: Invited speaker at numerous trade events such as Comdex.
• Served as “Chief Sales Officer” for key client negotiations: sold into fortune 100 firms, the US government (Congress, GSA), etc.
• Visionary driving force behind early consumer and enterprise sales of two-way interactive pagers
• Rapidly negotiated strategic partnerships with over 50 brand name partners (Google, Yahoo, Infospace, etc)
• Successfully negotiated the first preload and revenue sharing arrangements in the industry with the major wireless data networks and international providers.
• Launched wireless mobile corporate consulting and professional services organization.
• Generated extensive publicity and media coverage while providing versatile management of press and media contacts including over 100+ articles, radio, and TV interviews in CNN, Popular Science, Newsweek, LA Times, NY Times, MSNBC, Entrepreneur Magazine, ABC Channel 7 Eye Witness News, and other online, print, and TV media. From January 1997 to December 2010 (14 years)
BS, Engineering (Interests in Biology, Computer Science) @ Harvey Mudd CollegeWebb High School of California Surya Jayaweera is skilled in: Venture Capital, Product Development, Business Development, Business Strategy, Management, Start-ups, Product Management, Entrepreneurship, Strategic Partnerships, Corporate Development, Investments, Acquisitions, Fundraising, Mobile Applications, Mobile Devices
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension